• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is Primer (and other components) Cost/Supply Keeping Folks from Competing?

IndianaRem5r

Major General
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Pawnee, IN
It would not surprise me if we get reduced participation due to the high cost of competing. Unless you are sponsored well, this game is getting really expensive. I'm really reducing my matches as a result. Thoughts?

Ammo components is 30-50% higher.

Px go up Qx go down.

It prevents me from competing. I can afford a lot but I allow myself to afford certain things. Thus, I only "can do" a few 1-day PRS matches (except I really want to do the K&M GAP Grind pro-am thing) because that's a max of 100 bullets (maybe 110 if I want to do some sighters and use all 100 during the match). I use only my 308 right now because that ammo is "reasonably priced" at least compared to 6.5 Creedmor. If I can find 6mm Creedmor, than I aquire it but I'm not done with that rifle. I am not getting into reloading fully just yet considering factory ammo has been at least sub .75 MOA always in my Savage and Begara... no point. I keep the brass for another day. Can't find the right powders and primers anyway and then there's the time of honing in on the right load... barf.

At this rate, we'll be competing with 223 bolt guns at a max of 600 yards. Which frankly I'm not opposed to. That would reduce ammo cost by 50%.

It prevents me from competing. I can afford a lot but I allow myself to afford certain things. Thus, I only "can do" a few 1-day PRS matches (except I really want to do the K&M GAP Grind pro-am thing) because that's a max of 100 bullets (maybe 110 if I want to do some sighters and use all 100 during the match). I use only my 308 right now because that ammo is "reasonably priced" at least compared to 6.5 Creedmor. If I can find 6mm Creedmor, than I aquire it but I'm not done with that rifle. I am not getting into reloading fully just yet considering factory ammo has been at least sub .75 MOA always in my Savage and Begara... no point. I keep the brass for another day. Can't find the right powders and primers anyway and then there's the time of honing in on the right load... barf.

At this rate, we'll be competing with 223 bolt guns at a max of 600 yards. Which frankly I'm not opposed to. That would reduce ammo cost by 50%.
Yep, my custom bolt .223 get lots of use while my 6 GT and 6.5 x 47 Lapua sit more.

It's certainly discouraging me from competing but not preventing it. A bigger discouragement is the sort of people that began flooding into matches in the last couple years who are just fucking awful. The whole world of competitive long range shooting has more or less been ruined by the shitstains that come to a match and then completely ignore the rules and the match directors that won't enforce the rules because they don't want to be called an asshole. It's crap MD's and the chodes that brought their mayo tanker of a girlfriend/wife/sister/daughter along to play big man in front of or the other chodes that never shoot better than the bottom 10% yet insists on spending 15 minutes questioning the RO about loopholes in every stage's rules to figure out how they can game it or the other chodes that have to crap on other competitors because they decided to buy Innorel or Leofoto instead of RRS. It's very much the people that I just don't want to be around, not the cost of ammo and that's even with the fact that I can't reload now like I was doing last year due to my living situation so instead of ammo costing me $.75/rd it's costing me $2-4 a round. That doesn't bother me nearly as much as the people do.

If heres no point running hunting or real ammo (eta:cartridges) in PRS, might as run the cheapest gamer cartridges.

That means 6br and/or .223

22lr has proven you can have fun ate scaled to caliber size COF.

A 600yd limit, 20 in bbl cal .223 TAC ONLY where people shoot <77gr may even work.

😂

Reactions: Davidheart
It would not surprise me if we get reduced participation due to the high cost of competing. Unless you are sponsored well, this game is getting really expensive. I'm really reducing my matches as a result. Thoughts?
In prior years, our monthly club matches regularly maxed out at 56 people. We are now running a lot of matches with 25-30 people. Other club members now talk about rationing their supplys for only the matches that they most want to shoot. I have also been told that the range that we shoot at has participation down by a similar amount, and people who used to show up and shoot a half day or full day now leave after an hour or two. So yeah, there is definitely an effect, both from the very significant cost increase and the general difficulty just getting components.

We are going to keep doing F class and SR matches. Something we enjoy doing as a family so I'll just spend less elsewhere.

Two years ago, PRS club series matches in our region usually filled within a few days of opening registration. That's as many as 120 guys signing up at least a month in advance. Those matches are often only a little over half full these days.

Ammo and component price and availability may not be the only reason for low attendance (the $95 match fees certainly don't help), but they are absolutely a large part of it.

doing what I can to get as many as I can find but yea it's expensive what that is fun isn't .

Reactions: rancher5
I shoot about the same if not more then before. Even in these times, I have been able to find bullets below stupid scalper pricing. Never bought primers at 1k at a time. What the hell am I going to do with that small amount?

I think it's more availability than cost of components. Even at today's prices, the cost of components is a very small percentage compared to all the other costs associated with shooting a major match.

I just sold 3-lbs of H1000 (at pre COVID prices) to a friend so he could shoot an NRL Hunter match as he hasn't been able to score any himself.

Lots of reasons:

1. The contrived nature of the stages that's now prevalent in PRS.
2. Travel costs and time.
3. 2 days to shoot what is essentially a hobby match is a pretty extensive amount of time, not to mention the money involved.
4. Almost $300 in match fees.
5. Availability of components certainly is a factor. Some of my supplies are dwindling.
6. Not much for matches in my immediate vicinity. I have to travel far for most any decent match, and that increases the associated amount of time and costs.
7. I left my previous career and that's ended up with me going back to school to retool for a different industry. Time is very limited, my funds even more so.

The time and money requirements to get into this sport are very burdensome. And almost every match I shot prior to stopping started to feel the same, with all the similar contrived stages.

From what I’ve seen, single day matches are taking a hit depending on region and such. 2 day matches are still doing well. Filling up months in advance.

Shooters seem to obviously be shooting less and being more picky about where they use their ammo. Typically opting for bigger matches. Certain large clubs still have high attendance at their single day matches which falls in line with shooters choosing the “better” matches. Which may not be a bad thing. Some areas were getting over saturated with matches. So while there were more match options, average attendance at matches was down due to having so many choices.

I have personally move more to only shooting two days and some “big” one day matches. Mostly because the group of guys I enjoyed shooting with have cut way down because of components. So while I have components, I’m indirectly affected by the shortage.

So, I’ve taken the opportunity to expand to traveling to 2 day matches across country and see how I stack up. So, not necessarily a bad thing. Just different.

Reactions: Mechdesigner
Signing up for run and guns don’t show it within 250 miles of my AO. The one for March in Old Fort SC sold out in like 25 minutes and it’s a night shoot.

Our club has seen a decline for sure. Prone Highpower matches are down, but attendance had been dropping for years even with the rise of F class. COVID has also all but closed our doors. No matches in 2021 at all doesn’t keep a non-profit open. BOA account fees, the yearly insurance and filing fees are sucking every last penny out of the coffers.

Hopefully this year is better but I suspect the closer we get to the mid-terms, or shortly after if yet Libs lose either of he houses, everything will dry up from panic buying again and we’ll be right back to the 2021 shortages.

As much as I am against succumbing to the manipulative increases we have these days, it may be our only opportunity to buy for the next couple of years.

it's less cost but more availability for me and a lot of guys i know

that means picking and choosing matches and not shooting as many/any 2 day matches to make components last

that being said we are about to sell out an 80 person local match and may open it to 90. it'll be the biggest 1 day match in New England by a lot and bigger than some of the 2 day pro matches up here

Matches in the PNW at least at decent venues seems to be filling up faster than the last few years. I don't remember seeing any full matches last year, this year they are having to make the squads bigger and are still selling out.

Components have been out there if you take the time and effort to look. Anyone who is remotely serious about this would put in the time and effort.

The excuses and whining is getting old. If you want to shoot and compete you will, otherwise people will bitch and moan. I bet 90% of the people complaining would not have even shot if times were normal. Now they have a convient excuse "I would have joined the military.........but" type shit.

It's certainly discouraging me from competing but not preventing it. A bigger discouragement is the sort of people that began flooding into matches in the last couple years.....
As much as this sounded like a crazy old man's ranting, I have to agree with him. Every genre of pistol and rifle shooting sports (except maybe NRA Highpower) saw tremendous increase in crowds. Honestly, I'm glad things tapered off and a few less people are showing up.

We had a match yesterday that has 60 spots. It had like 30 on the waitlist and they opened it to all with 9 man squads. I think 80 or 85 actually showed up.

And it was Cold, windy and wet at the end. I don't think there is an issue with less people wanting to shoot. Like I said, those who want to will find a way, those who don't will make posts on social about the reason they wont, or don't or can't.

This was a 1 Day PRS, not even a qualifer match. Day before had 50 people show up to PRS22 match at same location.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
We had a match yesterday that has 60 spots. It had like 30 on the waitlist and they opened it to all with 9 man squads. I think 80 or 85 actually showed up.

And it was Cold, windy and wet at the end. I don't think there is an issue with less people wanting to shoot. Like I said, those who want to will find a way, those who don't will make posts on social about the reason they wont, or don't or can't.

This was a 1 Day PRS, not even a qualifer match. Day before had 50 people show up to PRS22 match at same location.
it seems to me like people are always super antsy to get out for the first matches of the year and that drops as the season goes on and people fall off or just dont/cant shoot as much in summer (family/kids/vacations) as they can in feb/march

I am a rookie who is getting interested in shooting benchrest. I mostly practice with ARA factory targets. However, the biggest problem for me is no local ARA matches and the realization that the closest place for me to go to would require a full day's drive. So, I would have to dedicate three days even for a short indoor match. Plus I would have mnimal time to get used to a completely new range. Those (time and money) costs for me loom much larger than guns or ammo. I just want to get good enough that I feel I won't always be the favorite for last place before I go to my first match. I'd love to just hang around and observe but as I said, it's quite a ways away. Moreover, I can't seem to get locals interested in shooting informal matches with me.

But of course, the limited availability of ammo and the fact that even if you send your gun off to Lapua for testing, you can currently only buy one case. At the moment I'm just concentrating on becoming consistent, learning which kinds of ammo my guns likes, and just developing the endurance to shoot several cards in a row. At which point I'll send my gun off to them.