• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Is recoil *that* important?

lte82

Shooter
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    15yr old, 80 lb, Allison Zane is shooting a light weight 6mm creedmoor, and has no problem managing recoil and spotting her shots. In fact she said on a podcast she thinks she can see them even better at distance. So my question is, why are all the 200lb men shooting BR's for "recoil" reasons? What's missing here?

A lot of it is due to efficiency of the case itself. I don't know her personally, but I'd be willing to bet next season she's shooting a BR variant of some kind. You can shoot the same bullet to within 1-200 fps of a 6 Creed while using 32gr of powder instead of 42gr of powder.

That being said...many don't have good fundamentals in PRS, whether that's breathing, trigger pull, building a position, or following through. So a 25# 6BR with a 5-port muzzle brake is "easier" to be bad and still spot your shots. Give many of the "good" PRS shooters a 17# 308 with a suppressor and they'll struggle for sure. You don't have to look far to see top PRS shooters slapping the shit out of their 5oz trigger and still shooting a 90% hit percentage.

The admirable thing about someone like Allison Zane is she appears to be starting with solid fundamentals that are allowing her to dominate using a rifle cartridge and system that many would think is sub-optimal based on current trends.

I was at a 2-day that Allison won, she didn’t just beat the competition she dominated. What I saw her do that was better than everyone else was absolutely perfect fundamentals. Which is the last thing someone wants to be told but watch her videos of the 22 matches and her pro matches she really puts on a clinic.

To be honest, if 6cm with a typical PRS barrel/chassis and 2900-3000fps causes a shooter so much recoil that they’re mostly unable to spot their splash and never see their trace, they definitely need to do some time on a barricade working recoil management.

6 creed is soooo last year.
    Do you remember when 6.5x47L with a 140 Hybrid at 2750fps was the hotness?

1608220064386.png

I RO'd a match where Allison was the first person to clear my stage this summer. I studied her and studied how her dad was coaching her so I can soon share what I saw with my 2 daughters. What I noticed was her body was always "square" or "perpendicular" to her firearm. I also noticed she was having fun too and always smiling. I also think she's stronger than she looks because she was handling her rifle with ease. My "fit" wife could barely lift my 18lb rifle for comparison.

I RO'd a match where Allison was the first person to clear my stage this summer. I studied her and studied how her dad was coaching her so I can soon share what I saw with my 2 daughters. What I noticed was her body was always "square" or "perpendicular" to her firearm. I also noticed she was having fun too and always smiling. I also think she's stronger than she looks because she was handling her rifle with ease. My "fit" wife could barely lift my 18lb rifle for comparison.
    C'mon, if I've learned anything shooting matches it's that there's little room for "fun." Winning matches is serious business, and winning puts food on the table.

/s

Reactions: Supersubes
    I’ve had several discussions where IMO, I think 6x47 and 6cm recoil “better” than 6br variants. The larger 6’s feel like a straight back push, and the br cases are more “snappy.”

Reactions: giumau1
    I think people have become accustomed to the "snap" of a Dasher, as the perception is the recoil impulse is over quicker, thus giving more time to settle and see your impact. One of the drawbacks of shooting suppressed is the long push; it's definitely more of a challenge to see splash on closer targets because the gun is still moving.

All I can say is that as mentioned above recoil from my 6cm is significantly less than my 6.5cm at the same rifle weight.

15yr old, 80 lb, Allison Zane is shooting a light weight 6mm creedmoor, and has no problem managing recoil and spotting her shots. In fact she said on a podcast she thinks she can see them even better at distance. So my question is, why are all the 200lb men shooting BR's for "recoil" reasons? What's missing here?

What a minute, why are you talking S* about yourself?
    I know damn well you got some heavy rigs 🤣😂🤣

But you aren’t 200lbs, well not no more lol. Get back in the weight room!

I use 2 guns for PRS a 6 dasher and 6.4x47. I shoot both equally well. I have friends that shoot 6 and 6.5 creed and complain they cant spot their impacts. Sounds like recoil management to me or the fact that somethin else is going on.

Im no expert, but good fundamentals will greatly mitigate recoil. I agree with Samb300.

I've experienced some pretty good follow through with a lightweight. 308 but I need to be perfectly squared into the collar bone, and have perfect form. Not so easy, but if it becomes easy with practice or if you dont have lifelong bad habits to break than I believe good fundamentals will GREATLY override recoil. In fact, fundamentals will override cartridges, load development and even a bad morning coffee.
    I agree w Samb300 and others...fundamentals are probably responsible for 90% of your sucess on the COF.

GOOD for Alison. Just awesome.

I just registered my 13yr old daughter for Frontline. Alison is already a role model for children and humble adults:)

same thing i saw when she came thru the stage i RO'd at the Brawl last year...i even told the person RO'ing with me she was going to be winning and whoopin a lot of people soon...her positions were square, movements polished...you could tell she started from a solid base, stuck to it, and didnt cheat it for points....she looked/moved different than 99% of the other shooters, even some that had similar or better scores on the stage

A lot of it is due to efficiency of the case itself. I don't know her personally, but I'd be willing to bet next season she's shooting a BR variant of some kind. You can shoot the same bullet to within 1-200 fps of a 6 Creed while using 32gr of powder instead of 42gr of powder.

That being said...many don't have good fundamentals in PRS, whether that's breathing, trigger pull, building a position, or following through. So a 25# 6BR with a 5-port muzzle brake is "easier" to be bad and still spot your shots. Give many of the "good" PRS shooters a 17# 308 with a suppressor and they'll struggle for sure. You don't have to look far to see top PRS shooters slapping the shit out of their 5oz trigger and still shooting a 90% hit percentage.

The admirable thing about someone like Allison Zane is she appears to be starting with solid fundamentals that are allowing her to dominate using a rifle cartridge and system that many would think is sub-optimal based on current trends.
    Well said. I’ve shot with her and it’s like that old TV show Small Wonder. I’ll bet you are right.