• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is RL-17 too fast for the 7 WSM?

biggjake

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2002
Las Vegas,NV.
Just wondering if anyone's tried Reloader 17 with 180's?I saw over on 6br.com that a std 284 win got 3000fps with a 180gr Berger out of a 30" bbl.I'm building a 7 WSM with a 30" Broughton on a long action Rem. 700,and will be able to seat the bullets way out.I was just wondering just how fast I could push them.Thanks

Re: Is RL-17 too fast for the 7 WSM?

Many guys are saying RE17 is THE powder for the 7 and 300 WSM. I bought two pounds to test. Haven't tried it yet. Like you, logic says load something with a slower burn rate.

I would think it would be a very fast powder for the 7wsm and the 180's, but who knows. I use H4831sc with the 180's (25" lawton barrel)which shoots great and have tried Re22 (shot good), H1000 (shot so-so), and Retumbo (no good). The 7wsm has plenty of case capacity (maybe too much) so if you used a fast powder, you are not going to fill the case much at all. I don't like experimenting with this gun because it shoots great and the 7wsm has a bad rep towards barrels.

Cooper, whats your load with 4831SC and 180s?

Is it ok to post a hot load on here. I don't want any liabilty if someone hurts themself. I start low with all my loads but eventually work up to a hot but safe load for my guns and temperature.

we know better than to use someones load without reducing it by 10%

post away.

63 grains 4831sc, 180 Berger, BR2's and win brass of course. Gives me 2900-2920 fps out of a 25" Lawton, GAP rifle with GAP 7000 (Lawton) action. Bergers are .010 into the rifling. Shoots great from 100-1200 yards. (DISCLAIMER: If you want to copy this load, start 10% lower and work up to what is safe in your gun)

the RL 17 gives 3150 fps with the 7mmWSM and the 162 amax (23.5" tube) without preasure

I did a test in the 7mmSAUM and got up to 3157 but that was with preasure and have droped it back to 3080 for the sake of brass life, no sign of preasure or brass streatch at that
smile.gif

Don't know about the 180's though....the case it not full with the 162 pills in the SAUM
wink.gif