• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is SH online training for me ?

dvdt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Dallas,TX
I'm looking for some advice on whether I'm ready for the SH online training or not ?

I've read a few of the posts and asked a few folks on other forums, but I'm not certain I'm ready.

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]I don't have a load developed for my R700 SPS-V. I have all the components for loading ( powder, large rifle primers, brass, dies, bullets etc ) but I'm a newbie to reloading.[*]I'm still going through orientation to a local rifle/pistol club. I just relocated and have to go through some orientation to the new club.[*]I really need some new glass. I have a craptastic scope and need to replace. My research so far is making me think I want a FFP and I'm thinking of going with the Falcon. [/list]

Those are my real big hold ups on signing up. I'm a new shooter so I think this would be perfect for me to learn quite a bit.

I can probably get new glass pretty quickly once I make up my mind.

I can also probably get through the range orientation stuff in the next few months. It's my understanding I just have to show that I'm not a nut job, that I know which end of the gun the bullet comes out of, demonstrate safe firearm handling and that I can keep it on paper. I should be able to knock this out in a month.

The load development concerns me. Ammo is a problem these days. I read that a lot of the training can be done at home dry firing but I can't imagine that would be really worth my while unless I can practice what I'm learning.

Should I hold off for a bit longer ?
Have I missed too much of the class ?
The range I have fairly easy access to is out to 300 yards. Is this enough?

I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks!

Re: Is SH online training for me ?

to answer some of your questions, the reloading setup aint a big deal. You can dry fire all day, i do and do it quite a bit more than i throw rounds down range. You should sign up for the classes. They are great you will learn a ton. You havent missed anything, you can look at all the lessons and videos. DO IT you wont be dissappointed

What deadly said, plus:

To me, skill is more important than your scope, ammo, etc., and there is no reason why you should hold off due to your equipment not being ready. For what I know (correct me if I'm wrong), deadly have been practice dry firing/form while waiting for his scope being in place.

online training is definitely going to help you to improve your shooting skills. Spend time to develop the best load and get a lucky group once a while is never as good as knowing you can drive your rifle correctly to send that first round to the target and follow through to make 2nd shot a "hit" in a short time frame in case the first shot did not make it.

I'm also a student here, and strongly recommending you to sign up as soon as you can. You will only regret that you haven't done so earlier.

Hope to see you in the classroom discussion threads soon.

Dyl..

you would be correct, i did practice while i was waitin on my scope to show up. worked on trigger control and position. You definitely should sign up for the classes. They are worth more than shooting wrong then figuring that you ought to. Plus it kinda sounds like you are just getting into Precision rifle shooting, so that means that you wont have as many bad habits to break as opposed to waiting to sign up.

I signed up for it. I have 60 bucks invested in it so far and that gave me access to everything that is posted on that forum and to all the lessons. For me it was worth it.

I appreciate the replies guys.

Sounds like I need to join up. How far behind am I ?

Thanks!

not far at all man, you read the lessons at your own pace. If you ever make it over to Jacksonville NC hit me up ill get schooled up pretty good.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably sign up once I get my PayPal stuff squared away. Thanks!

I don't belong to it, but I still recommend it highly. My reasons are unique, and bear no reflection on the excellence of the course matter. I have nothing but the highest respect for the leaders and participants. Knowing the history and aims of The 'Hide, I cannot imagine a better place to invest in the knowledge. They don't do good things badly.

Do it.

Greg Langelius

Join. Join if for no other reason than it will help you to choose the correct equipment once you know what the correct techniques are.

$10 a month is not going to effect your hardware budget much.

It's easier to learn it right from the beginning than to break bad habits and re-learn.

There are several "pet" loads for most calibers that will shoot "good enough" for you to practice with.

I can honestly say it has been money well spent. I find no matter how much you think you know there is always room to expand your base of knowledge.

Just a follow up, the answer to this was YES!

I signed up, I just read a couple of the lessons real quick and I think it was worth the money. I look forward to spending more time on each lesson.

Thanks for the honest reviews guys.

If anyone else is on the fence, I'd suggest pulling the trigger
smile.gif

I'm a student here too. Began as pretty much a newbie after asking a question, and people suggesting I try the class. At $10/mo for the class and actually learning correct fundamentals, I'd say I'm easily saving $40/mo in wasted ammo and frustration.
wink.gif

Nik

Don't forget too that a years worth of online payments can be used as a deduction towards tuition at Rifles Only. That is an extra savings if you ever decide to take formal training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beamer Girl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget too that a years worth of online payments can be used as a deduction towards tuition at Rifles Only. That is an extra savings if you ever decide to take formal training. </div></div>

I didn't know that!! I was going to cancel bnecause money's tight right now, but I think I'll stick around at least to have a credit on the books!!

does the online training have a limited duration and what is the total final cost??

thanks

Already signed and paid.-...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beamer Girl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget too that a years worth of online payments can be used as a deduction towards tuition at Rifles Only. That is an extra savings if you ever decide to take formal training. </div></div>

Sweet! I didn't know that. I'm going to try my hardest to make a trip down there next year and this tidbit of info will make that much easier. Thanks!