• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is Sub Sonic my Limit?

Re: Is Sub Sonic my Limit?

I will place the question: "Is the limit where the bullet goes from supersonic to transonic, or where it goes from transonic to subsonic?"

Ares,

I am still not sure what "limit" is being sought. Assuming you are looking for "stability" limits, it is a Bell-curve function throughout the trans-sonic velocity range.

The instant subsonic airflow begins to appear some instability is introduced, which peaks at the point there is roughly equal supersonic/subsonic surface velocities on the projectile skin, and tapers off with the final remnants of supersonic flow.

The manner, and duration, of the disturbance is entirely dependent on projectile form.

The only way to really know is to try it.

I tried getting the 208 AMax to go unstable via 2480 fps, 1/12 twist, but couldn't do it.

Realistically, by the time velocity is getting that low, you are probably well past the distance where useful/repeatable/predictable accuracy is possible. It's always fun to push the envelope though.

go for it bro! hell try to send one a mile! I am....hahahaha i plan on trying to send a 175 berger vld 1300yrds in a few days with my .308.