• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the 6.5prc a dead caliber before it really got started?

Part of the reason you can't find ammo and components is due to its popularity. I see brass pop up here and there, but it doesn't last long.

Reactions: Milf Dots
I still like mine. I would have preferred a factory 7saum type cartridge mass produced but the prc is fantastic. Stuff will come back available.

I’m sure by the numbers it has significantly less sales than 9mm, 223, 308, 6.5cm ect so it’s probably pretty far down the list as far as propulsion priority.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
You can't find it because everyone bought one.

The lgs sells 6.5 prc more than any other. They can't move a 308, but anything 6.5 never stays on the shelf.

My lgs has ample quantities of 2-3 different kinds of PRC ammo on the shelf and several rifles.

More and more 6.5 PRC options are becoming available.
Problem is, anytime 6.5 PRC ammo becomes available, the inventory gets cleaned out and you see it being resold online for a higher price. For example, Norma 6.5 PRC Golden target match was recently made available by Norma, but immediately went out of stock, and resold online at almost double the price Norma is selling them...

Reactions: BradP and wade2big
There’s “no components” because we hoarded them all. Good luck with RL26 🤣
75FB3692-43C5-40FF-9AC0-782E1026DBCC.jpeg

Reactions: Chilly Willy
I still like mine. I would have preferred a factory 7saum type cartridge mass produced but the prc is fantastic. Stuff will come back available.
I too wish they'd gone 7mm rather than 6.5, that or I hope a 7mm SAUM equivalent is in the pipeline somewhere.
I can't help but think if you are stepping up from the 6.5CM level of cartridge, going 7mm gives better projectile options of long range targets (better BCs) and more heavier bullets better suited to hunting.

The 7SAUM still has a fairly healthy cult following which seems to be growing but if someone like Hornady were to support it (or something similar) brass, ammo and factory rifles would be much more readily available.

Still like my 6.5 Gap better.

6.5 SAUM was/is an enthusiast’s round.

Most people want easy mode: go to lgs and buy reasonably priced accurate ammo to shoot off the rack precision style factory rifles. That’s what sells.

Even among the enthusiasts, easy mode sells. You think reloaders prefer to buy off-head stamp brass, neck down, neck turn, fire form? Fuck that give me Lapua brass so I can spend more time smelling my wife’s dirty panties.

I too wish they'd gone 7mm rather than 6.5, that or I hope a 7mm SAUM equivalent is in the pipeline somewhere.
I can't help but think if you are stepping up from the 6.5CM level of cartridge, going 7mm gives better projectile options of long range targets (better BCs) and more heavier bullets better suited to hunting.

The 7SAUM still has a fairly healthy cult following which seems to be growing but if someone like Hornady were to support it (or something similar) brass, ammo and factory rifles would be much more readily available.
I think if Hornady going to do anything it will be 7prc over supporting the saum. Either way I think the 7 something will be my next rifle.

Reactions: beetroot
The 6.5 GAP 4S (SAUM) was designed on here (just like the PRS), you can follow it from the beginning before George jumped to FB, most of the original threads still exist

The reason they went that direction, was brass, but they were always heading towards the 6.5PRC

In fact, he recently reached out to me in order to find the original specs on the brass that was posted here to show how close they wanted it to turn out as the 6.5PRC did

They had a plan, it just took a moment to get there, that plan was 6.5 PRC

6.5 SAUM was/is an enthusiast’s round.

Most people want easy mode: go to lgs and buy reasonably priced accurate ammo to shoot off the rack precision style factory rifles. That’s what sells.

Even among the enthusiasts, easy mode sells. You think reloaders prefer to buy off-head stamp brass, neck down, neck turn, fire form? Fuck that give me Lapua brass so I can spend more time smelling my wife’s dirty panties.
There's no reasonably priced 6.5 prc ammo and the 6.5 saum isn't an enthusiasts cartridge it's a precision handloaders cartridge.
ADG brass is available without any necking down, redding 7 saum bushing dies are also available off the shelf.
The prc is a disappointment since its capacity is nearly identical to the already excellent 6.5x284.
They shoulda just jumped up to a 7 prc and everyone would be wet for .284s right now..

Reactions: GlockandRoll
I think the PRC is what a lot of people wanted the Creedmoor to be. Americans like a little speed… the 6.5 CM hanging out around 2650 fps with the more ubiquitous 140 grain factory ammo might put it in good company with the .308 Win, but I think folks want more. As long as the PRC continues to receive factory support, I think it will ride the 6.5 wave and establish itself in the market.

I actually see 6.5PRC quite regularly at the stores I frequent. Crazy prices though. $50 and up a box.
I was actually building a new rifle and was going to go PRC, but decided against it. It seems to be about 150-200FPS gain over the 6.5CM. Not worth it TO ME to get set up for reloading for such a small gain.

Only thing that may die will be the 6.8 Western... you know Hornady will eventually roll out the 7mmPRC duplicating 7 Rem Mag on paper and with the 6.5 on the other side the 6.8 which is an impressive cartridge aimed at hunters may suffer eventual extinction.

Guys tried to talk me into a PRC when I was looking for another 6.5, when I looked at ballistics my comment was 130 gr bullet going 3100 fps, I have a 270. That's why I went Gap even though I'm apparently stupid because I didn't know it was developed here. I turn my Gap up to 3300 fps with a 130 gr. World changer in a couple hundred FPS.

Only thing that may die will be the 6.8 Western... you know Hornady will eventually roll out the 7mmPRC duplicating 7 Rem Mag on paper and with the 6.5 on the other side the 6.8 which is an impressive cartridge aimed at hunters may suffer eventual extinction.
Rumored launch date summer of this year. Supposedly similar to 7LRM.

Reactions: long range sponge
I think the PRC is what a lot of people wanted the Creedmoor to be. Americans like a little speed… the 6.5 CM hanging out around 2650 fps with the more ubiquitous 140 grain factory ammo might put it in good company with the .308 Win, but I think folks want more. As long as the PRC continues to receive factory support, I think it will ride the 6.5 wave and establish itself in the market.

Never seen muzzle velocity that low from several 6.5 CM rifles. Factory ammo has always been 2750 and above, reloads are all over 2800.

Guys tried to talk me into a PRC when I was looking for another 6.5, when I looked at ballistics my comment was 130 gr bullet going 3100 fps, I have a 270. That's why I went Gap even though I'm apparently stupid because I didn't know it was developed here. I turn my Gap up to 3300 fps with a 130 gr. World changer in a couple hundred FPS.
.270 is a short action?

6.5-300 weatherby shits on your GAP.

The only thing you got right in that entire sentance is "I'm apparently stupid".

Factory ammo is often in that range from rifles I've chronoed. I could get 2700 x 127 gr in an AR-10 and beyond that it destroyed brass. And that was with almost no gas, 9 oz buffer and a flat wire spring. I shot several deer with it but I certainly wouldn't say it was a hammer, killed all of them but not in the style I was used to. But according to one gun shop employee, it shot flat to 1000 yds. No need for any hold over. Guess I missed that particular rifle.

Reactions: bobbyricky20
.270 is a short action?

6.5-300 weatherby shits on your GAP.

The only thing you got right in that entire sentance is "I'm apparently stupid".
Anyone knows a 270 isn't a short action but then again a whole lot of PRC's are built on medium and long actions. It's hard to imagine how rude some of you people are. Piss poor parents? And your 6.5x300 eats barrels.

Anyone knows a 270 isn't a short action but then again a whole lot of PRC's are built on medium and long actions. It's hard to imagine how rude some of you people are. Piss poor parents? And your 6.5x300 eats barrels.
Then why are you comparing a .270 to a 6.5PRC or GAP. Its Apples to Oranges.

The 6.5PRC is designed in such a way that you can run the heaviest class bullets out of a Short Action and still have them mag fed (Under 2.950). The SAUM cases have issues and are usually run in a medium/long action, not the PRC.

We are being rude because you are preaching like you know something everyone else doesn't that was literally conceived here years ago before you even knew about it.

Furthermore your numbers are bullshit, you aren't getting that much more velocity over 6.5 PRC, when a 6.5 Sherman Mag doesn't even get those kind of numbers with higher case capacity.

The faster and harder you push a bullet the quicker the barrel dies? Well no shit. You do realize if you were getting magical 3300 out of a 6.5GAP you would be eating barrels too?

It may be a good idea for you to come correct before trying to preach.

Given the lack of components and available ammo, did the epidemic and supply issues kill the Prc? There is ammo in abundance at local stores, but no Prc.
Gonna go ahead and give this one a big hell no. It is probably just as popular as a 6.5 creedmore way to much money in it to let it die

Even without a 7 PRC squeezing it, the Western may be doomed. It needs support and marketing it isn’t getting.
Never seen muzzle velocity that low from several 6.5 CM rifles. Factory ammo has always been 2750 and above, reloads are all over 2800.
Both of my creeds (20” and 24”) are under 2700 with factory 140 ELDs. My 24” PRC was around 2850 with 147s, and it’s still under 100 rounds.

To the OP: Absolutely not. The 6.5 PRC isn’t going anywhere. People are still willing to pay $70+/box for factory Hornady ammo, that tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: wade2big
Even without a 7 PRC squeezing it, the Western may be doomed. It needs support and marketing it isn’t getting.

Both of my creeds (20” and 24”) are under 2700 with factory 140 ELDs. My 24” PRC was around 2850 with 147s, and it’s still under 100 rounds.

To the OP: Absolutely not. The 6.5 PRC isn’t going anywhere. People are still willing to pay $70+/box for factory Hornady ammo, that tells you all you need to know.

Hornady Gunner with 140HPBT's are about 2770 in three rifles, 24 and 26 in barrels. ELD 140, 143's are over 2800 and reloads have been between 2820 and 2870, even got the 147's over 2850 without issues, but the best node was about 2820 .

Thats a good question. I called Hornady and they are not selling cases for 300 or 6.5 PRC. They are using the brass for their factory ammunition. Factory ammunition pops up here and there with 6.5 PRC almost impossible to find. I would not recommend purchasing either caliber , I have both calibers and can shoot the 300 because I have enough boxes to reload. The 6.5 is another matter. I have brass on backorder for coming up on 2 years. Lapua brass or Nosler is available but it’s literally gone within minutes of receiving a notification it’s available. If someone was starting out I would recommend 6.5 Creedmor because brass and factory is readily available. I dont know why this is the case but I suspect some ####oles are buying everything up and selling it up at inflated prices on sites like Gun Broker. Its to bad because both are outstanding calibers.

So- how does liking the 6.5 GAP over the prc make someone not very smart?, because they seem pretty similar as in a coin flip.

The 6.5 prc is a good cartridge and growing on me more all the time- but I still have to seat bullets deeper than wanted to function in a short action. It has the typical hornady marketing hype about how it was designed to be a perfect short action length-- and then in the same article they claim the260 rem really needs a LA to function correctly..... even though the max case lengths of the two are 2.035 and 2.030. So that last .005 must be the difference between SA and LA.??

Also- never seen a thread where that DBD guy ever does anything besides act like an ass.

Reactions: Firestarter123
Given the lack of components and available ammo, did the epidemic and supply issues kill the Prc? There is ammo in abundance at local stores, but no Prc.
Looks to me unless you reload an can find brass to load or redneck your shit out luck!primers scarce and prc parent case is a 375 rem if I recall but I haven't seen any for sale ,I shoot 375 h an h necked down to 284 so I can get and have gotten brass even with 6.5 cm or 243 win I can work 308 brass and create cases! I shoot any day I can an I'm retired !I was up at 4 :00 am doing 30 06 with nitride bullets for my 48 pre 64 that I shot yesterday at the range ! It got a Harry Pope barrel 26" inch reverse rifling 6 groove progressive and I gota tell ya that old man knew his shit ! Seventy five yr old rifle still groups tight as class ass! Point being making it harder to buy brass and powder ain't allowing me to shoot like I want!

Attachments

• 20220518_085735.jpg
    20220518_085735.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 48
Looks to me unless you reload an can find brass to load or redneck your shit out luck!primers scarce and prc parent case is a 375 rem if I recall but I haven't seen any for sale ,I shoot 375 h an h necked down to 284 so I can get and have gotten brass even with 6.5 cm or 243 win I can work 308 brass and create cases! I shoot any day I can an I'm retired !I was up at 4 :00 am doing 30 06 with nitride bullets for my 48 pre 64 that I shot yesterday at the range ! It got a Harry Pope barrel 26" inch reverse rifling 6 groove progressive and I gota tell ya that old man knew his shit ! Seventy five yr old rifle still groups tight as class ass! Point being making it harder to buy brass and powder ain't allowing me to shoot like I want!
5 shot group 190 gr 3.390 col varget ,magic bullet!

Hornady Gunner with 140HPBT's are about 2770 in three rifles, 24 and 26 in barrels. ELD 140, 143's are over 2800 and reloads have been between 2820 and 2870, even got the 147's over 2850 without issues, but the best node was about 2820 .
Factory Hornady has been much slower in my rifles both factory and top tier barrels.

6F0A596E-96A3-48C1-A1BD-710321FF31E0.jpeg
1.medium actions are a thing, you don’t need long or short for a 260 or 6.5 PRC as I run both for a long time 1st SHR from GAP in 2002 was offered in 260

2. Terminus Zeus - ejection port on the SA is opened up so a 6.5 PRC can be unloaded, unfired, solving the problem

SA limitations are in mags and ports, both a fixable issue companies unlike Terminus are just lazy doing what has always been done in the past hence limiting your experience. Smart people solve problems not complain about them (see 224v in AX)

All factory ammo is expensive today $50 is not high, a magnum caliber is more than $80 in most cases the 6.5PRC can bridge all of the above with a cost between the two.

The above image is my Vision / Zeus rifle I have bolts for the 6.5 PRC and standard calibers. I can shoot from 0 to 2500 effectively - what else is doing that from a factory caliber again ? Without the crazy recoil ?

So- how does liking the 6.5 GAP over the prc make someone not very smart?, because they seem pretty similar as in a coin flip.

The 6.5 prc is a good cartridge and growing on me more all the time- but I still have to seat bullets deeper than wanted to function in a short action. It has the typical hornady marketing hype about how it was designed to be a perfect short action length-- and then in the same article they claim the260 rem really needs a LA to function correctly..... even though the max case lengths of the two are 2.035 and 2.030. So that last .005 must be the difference between SA and LA.??

Also- never seen a thread where that DBD guy ever does anything besides act like an ass.
Simple fix ream the chamber to change your col I shoot creed and with 153.5 I col out at 3.010 and guns on a string

What is interesting is, an article is just an opinion from some guy.

People saying really really dumb shit about the 260 is based off some opinion. The 260 is 6.5-08, as in a necked down 308, why on earth would that have to be loaded in a long action ? Cause a guy wrote that....

Just asked yourself that, sure people used to load the 260 really long beyond mag length to get some extra speed, you can easily get an extra 50fps over a 6.5CM but nothing says you have to or need too ? The issue back in the day beyond magazine length was sticking the bullet in the lands and pulling it if you didn't fire it. Did someone mention a reamer ?

Really odd how people comprehend things, I mean I have written for Gun Digest for more than 4 years , does that mean every one of my opinions is right ? No, they are opinions, some are just based on different levels of experience

Heck my 97AW has been a 260 since 2008, it's a large firing pin, original AW, never once pierced a primer... that goes counter to the stories too, which is why all the "AIs" have small ones now. I just chose to load my stuff inside magazine length or use factory.