• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the aero precision SOLUS worth buying

Panamacitymustang

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2018
I'm on the fence. The cyber Monday sale seems pretty decent. I'm not a prs guy but would like to start shooting longer range without cleaning out my bank account. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Do you load reload? If yes, look at the 6 CM in their chassis they have on sale for $1550 ish. I haven’t handled the actions yet, but people who have say good things about it. I just ordered a barreled action from PVA in 308; I already have an Origin in 6.5. I suppose it will be January before I get it.

If you don’t load your own, go with a 6.5. If your range is 600 or less take a look at the 308.

They have a lot going for them for the money as long as their barrels are decent.

Search Solus on here, Lowlight did a review of the rifles a while back.

Reactions: Panamacitymustang
Do you load reload? If yes, look at the 6 CM in their chassis they have on sale for $1550 ish. I haven’t handled the actions yet, but people who have say good things about it. I just ordered a barreled action from PVA in 308; I already have an Origin in 6.5. I suppose it will be January before I get it.

If you don’t load your own, go with a 6.5. If your range is 600 or less take a look at the 308.

They have a lot going for them for the money as long as their barrels are decent.

Search Solus on here, Lowlight did a review of the rifles a while back.
Thank you. I do reload. I was looking at the 6.5

Zermatt origin is a way better option. They have been around longer and arent known for making shit quality ar parts to begin with. Why anyone would buy this over an origin is beyond me and stupid

Zermatt origin is a way better option. They have been around longer and arent known for making shit quality ar parts to begin with. Why anyone would buy this over an origin is beyond me and stupid

^ Has no experience with the product whatsoever, proceeds to call anyone who buys one stupid. Yeah, sounds about right for an internet forum.

At around the $650 mark it seems like it is worth the buy. Enough people (who actually know what they're talking about) have positive things to say about it. One of the biggest gripes I've seen was from Terry Cross (KMW rifles) and that was about the ejectors/extractor setup. You can find his post in one of the already existing Solus threads.

Like most new products, time will tell.

Edit: speaking specifically about the action itself

Thanks for the objective opinion and for the personal reminder as to why there is an ignore button; my wife always says not to talk with her until she’s had her morning coffee…..

Personally, I have an Origin already and wanted a less costly 60 degree bolt throw for a 20” 308; the price point pushed me over the edge. I was not willing to take a chance on their barrel, so I went with PVA for that. The OP is wanting to give long range a try and given the reviews of how their 6.5 barrels actually shoot, it’s not a bad option for him unless he wants to up the price point to $2000+.

All that, and I didn’t even have to insult anyone, I’ve already had coffee; a man needs to know his limitations.

^ Has no experience with the product whatsoever, proceeds to call anyone who buys one stupid. Yeah, sounds about right for an internet forum.

At around the $650 mark it seems like it is worth the buy. Enough people (who actually know what they're talking about) have positive things to say about it. One of the biggest gripes I've seen was from Terry Cross (KMW rifles) and that was about the ejectors/extractor setup. You can find his post in one of the already existing Solus threads.

LOL - It's made by a company who makes shitty cheap ar parts that no one should be using. It's pretty sound advice to go with a reputable company who has been in the space for a while.

Here’s someone who might be believable who has actually handled one:

Reactions: msgriff
I'm on the fence. The cyber Monday sale seems pretty decent. I'm not a prs guy but would like to start shooting longer range without cleaning out my bank account. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Short answer… Yes, hard to beat for the money, especially at the sales prices. And they use Bighorn/Origin prefit barrels, so you can build it at home without a Smith, with simply a barrel vise and a torque wrench if you are handy with tools, and follow some decent online videos.

I got one of their barreled actions in 6.5 on a screaming deal. The contour was a little shy of what I prefer, and the "feel" was clunky at first. Threw it in a stock with a hunting optic, suppressed it, and gave it about 200 rounds of effort. Holding MOA accuracy with 140 ELD-Ms and profiling it to 1000 was easy. The hanger worked with an XTSP fine. Never gave me a single function issue. Subjective personal opinion now: completely worth what I paid and it will continue to see use...but I probably won't pick up another. I like it. I don't love it.

IMG_20231126_175214_394.jpg

Mine has been great. No failures in the first 160 rounds. Factory 6.5C Sendero barrel easily holds sub-moa 10 shot groups out to 400 (all I've been able to get to so far) with 140 ELDM and Sig OTM. Feeds from AW mags better than my Impacts. I think these are converting me to 60-ish degree bolts. I like it so much I bought a second one (PVA barreled action) to run in NRL Hunter and I'll toss it in the Solus Chassis for a PRS loaner/windy match rig. If that one is a good as the first, I'll probably pick up a 3rd in .223 once they launch that bolt face.

I've built several AR's with Aero parts and ran them hard in 3-gun. Never had an issue with their stuff.

I probably wouldn't buy at $900, but when they're on sale for $750 every month or so, it's a good deal. If you can catch one of the super sales when they're $650, it's a steal.

Reactions: KYAggie
My plan, if I like the Solus enough, is to get a magnum bolt head and a shouldered 7 SAUM in a lightweight profile along with a light AG Composites stock for hunting everything but elk +. I know, I know people use the 7 on elk and larger all the time, but I like my R93 300 win with 200 Partitions for that.

I’ll keep my long heavy 6.5 barrel on my Origin.

Reactions: Panamacitymustang
BAT is a way better option than an Origin, why anyone would buy this over a BAT is beyond me and stupid....
SMH.....

BAT is a way better option than an Origin, why anyone would buy this over a BAT is beyond me and stupid....
SMH.....
Zermat and BAT are two reputable and established names in the industry. The point went clear over your head.

enjoy your aero products!

My plan, if I like the Solus enough, is to get a magnum bolt head and a shouldered 7 SAUM in a lightweight profile along with a light AG Composites stock for hunting everything but elk +. I know, I know people use the 7 on elk and larger all the time, but I like my R93 300 win with 200 Partitions for that.

I’ll keep my long heavy 6.5 barrel on my Origin.
WAIT!!! are you on here suggesting this thing to people and you don't even own one. that's classic!!!

And considering the history of the company I suggested and the one you suggested I'm more than comfortable telling someone to stay clear of this product without using it.

Last edited:
Zermat and BAT are two reputable and established names in the industry. The point went clear over your head.

enjoy your aero products!
No, you missed it. But I'm not gonna whore up a tech thread by explaining it to some dumb ass who can't see the discrepancies in his own post.
Guess I'll just keep on being a poor. 🙄

No, you missed it. But I'm not gonna whore up a tech thread by explaining it to some dumb ass who can't see the discrepancies in his own post.
Guess I'll just keep on being a poor. 🙄
BACK TO THE ARKEN THREADS YOU GO!

• Haha
Reactions: godofthunder
Who makes Aero’s bolt action barrels? If it is Ballistic Advantage, stay far away. I wouldn’t mind trying out one of the actions just because.

I had a gunsmith put together a Solus action and Krieger barrel in 6mm Creedmoor. Using factory Hornady 108 ELD-M ammo it will regularly shoot 1/4 moa 3-shot groups.

Who makes Aero’s bolt action barrels? If it is Ballistic Advantage, stay far away. I wouldn’t mind trying out one of the actions just because.
Yes, it is BA. Mine is mint for what it cost (~$300 delta between action and barreled action). Here’s factory ammo at 100 & 400 yards. 100 yards are all 5 shot groups. I prefer 10, but when they go through the same hole, what’s the point, lol.

IMG_3828.jpeg

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-11-10 18:42:54.642171.jpg

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-11-10 18:22:44.610423.jpg

Yes, it is BA. Mine is mint for what it cost (~$300 delta between action and barreled action). Here’s factory ammo at 100 & 400 yards.

View attachment 8284227

View attachment 8284228

View attachment 8284229
Maybe they pay attention to their bolt gun barrels. If this is the norm then good on them. I wouldn’t take that chance until proven.

I have personally seen about everything that can be wrong with an AR barrel just from my friends BA ar15 purchases. The worst being an unfinished chamber that caused a case rupture upon initial firing. Only one of 4 or 2 of 5 (something like that) hasn’t had to go back. His last 556 barrel and one he still has is a shotgun pattern barrel with anything. He has been trying for three months for someone at Ballistic Advantage to return an email or answer a phone call. He had the barrel for too long before using it so the retailer won’t touch it and rightfully so. The man has finally after all this time, learned his lesson. I do have one myself that is perfectly acceptable.

If you buy one of these things make damn sure you check it out and use it right away so the retailer can help you if necessary. Ballistic Advantage has literally zero after purchase support as of now. Just a public service announcement.

Yes, it is BA. Mine is mint for what it cost (~$300 delta between action and barreled action). Here’s factory ammo at 100 & 400 yards. 100 yards are all 5 shot groups. I prefer 10, but when they go through the same hole, what’s the point, lol.

In their description, they say it’s been honed and lapped, so maybe they do pay more attention to them than their AR barrels. Isn’t BA owned by Aero? For sure, if they put out duds barrel wise, it would not take long for them to get a bad reputation they would never shake given the current state of information flow on the internet. From what I have seen on YouTube, etc., your results are with the 6.5 barreled action are the norm; let’s hope it stays this way for all their bolt guns. For me, a $1099 Solus barreled by PVA with one of their great barrels was the easy button. I did order a 17” Solus clear chassis that’s a blem for $519. It has a lot to offer for that coin and I can always paint it if I don’t like the color.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1911Shootist
Solus action is good. Not amazing. But good. I don't trust BA barrels at all. I would do the action and a prefit. The Solus chassis is mint and I'm thinking on getting one for the wife's rifle.

Edit: speaking specifically about the action itself
He is right. The solus is not even in the same league as the budget custom actions (origin, CDG, tenacity before price hike,ect)

I got 2 buddies who probably have more rounds through a Solus them than anybody on the planet. I personally, would steer clear.

Reactions: Maurygold
I would seriously look into something like the GAP PPR or MPA PMR pro. Both are sub 3k and one hell of a rifle for the money. They make great bases to build off in the future. For under $2K, you can do a regular PMR or something like a Tikka Taca1. If you plan to shoot PRS the tikka is not the answer. It is a great all around rifle however.

He is right. The solus is not even in the same league as the budget custom actions (origin, CDG, tenacity before price hike,ect)

I got 2 buddies who probably have more rounds through a Solus them than anybody on the planet. I personally, would steer clear.
Okay why? If you have actual information on it, why would you not mention it? Please enlighten everyone. The "my buddy..." remark isn't worth anything to us.

Okay why? If you have actual information on it, why would you not mention it? Please enlighten everyone. The "my buddy..." remark isn't worth anything to us.
What part of reputable, established company vs an unrepeatable not-established company for $200 is confusing to you?

What argument is there for not going with these manufacturers who actually innovated and designed something better. Aero just rolled in to borrow their ideas (albeit not great here) and undercut the price and quality. that's literally their exact business model in the AR world.

There are other threads here that already cover this. Feel free to go read them and learn something.
Which threads and posts specifically? (Genuine question, maybe I missed one) I've gone through and read every thread I could find. You do the same thing in the other ones as well, but you don't actually give many details. In fact, Terry Cross just asked you for more information on one too. If you actually have information on them why not share more details?

Reactions: BiggBeans and FuhQ
What part of reputable, established company vs an unrepeatable not-established company for $200 is confusing to you?

What argument is there for not going with these manufacturers who actually innovated and designed something better. Aero just rolled in to borrow their ideas (albeit not great here) and undercut the price and quality. that's literally their exact business model in the AR world.

No that is easy to understand and generally good advice. My issue is you have no actual knowledge or experience with the Solus action, but are so dismissive of it. Just seems like regurgitated group-think thought, instead of something with substance.

I'm curious to what you think Aero copied and did poorly vs the myriad of other custom actions out there? How is offering the feature set it has, for less money not innovative? IF the action functions as intended, with no major issues, isn't this great for the community?

No that is easy to understand and generally good advice. My issue is you have no actual knowledge or experience with the Solus action, but are so dismissive of it. Just seems like regurgitated group-think thought, instead of something with substance.

I'm curious to what you think Aero copied and did poorly vs the myriad of other custom actions out there? How is offering the feature set it has, for less money not innovative? IF the action functions as intended, with no major issues, isn't this great for the community?
I'm dismissive of aero precision - as a whole. Because they make cheap Ar parts and have a reputation of poor QC. and that should make you skeptical as to HOW they made the action cheaper. all that to say - I would want someone spending money on parts to get something good and known to be good. Your 'time will tell' but you should buy it anyway rec isn't the way I would help someone over $200.

I'm dismissive of aero precision - as a whole. Because they make cheap Ar parts and have a reputation of poor QC. and that should make you skeptical as to HOW they made the action cheaper. all that to say - I would want someone spending money on parts to get something good and known to be good. Your 'time will tell' but you should buy it anyway rec isn't the way I would help someone over $200.
Fair enough! And I never told anyone to buy one, but I won't tell someone not to buy one. Just trying to get actual information and not hearsay (which is hard to do in the firearm community)

There are other threads here that already cover this. Feel free to go read them and learn something.

I, like Harman117, have gone and read several threads and unless I’m missing something, all I’ve learned is that several members here like trash talking, without any specific details, something they have never owned. The rest of us are genuinely interested in the missing details as they could sway us one way or another regarding a purchase. Just trash talking without details, especially from members who have a long and glorious history of trash talking without details, is worthless.

What’s not worthless is the ignore button I used earlier today for the first time in my history here; none of the posts of the ignored individual show up any longer which is awesome since they had nothing of substance to add to the conversation. For the rest of you who don’t know where it is, click on the the persons name you want to ignore and in the lower left of the box that pops up you will see the word Ignore. It’s amazing how much useless nonsense disappears when you use that button; I apparently need to use it more often so I don’t have to read so much nonsense. Sadly, some of the trash talking might be true, but it comes off as complete BS since it’s not backed up with details. People who really want to add something to the conversation just give the details about their experiences, the good, the bad, the ugly, and let everyone else make up their own mind.

I don’t think anyone here has the expectation that the Solus is in the same class as a CDG, Origin, Impact, etc….. I don’t, I just wanted a reliable and reasonably priced 60 degree action without buying a Tikka that would take shouldered prefits; I don’t compete and if I do someday, I’ll likely use my Origin.

My personal thanks to those who have given us their personal experiences with the Solus in this thread; you are the only ones who added credible information and it’s much appreciated.

Last edited:
Here’s another point of fact; PVA thought enough of the Solus action to offer them on their website with their excellent barrels. That’s a pretty credible endorsement I would say. It certainly raised my eyebrow and knocked me off the fence and I ordered one. The proof will be in the pudding and of course, no matter which way it goes good or bad, I’ll actually post the details here.

Here is what PVA says about them:

“PVA is proud to present the Solus Barreled Action with PVA barrels. We have long been the industry innovator for long range precision prefit barrels for both discerning rifle shooters and industry partners as well. Always with an eye on process improvement and cost reduction we have developed a manufacturing process that brings the affordable long range rifle to the consumer. We specialize in high end rifle barrels and needed an excellent, smooth, repeatable reciever that wouldn't break your wallet. Enter the AeroPrecision "Solus" bolt action receiver.

The marriage of a PVA produced barrel to a Solus is a recipe for long range repeatability that has never been seen at this price point in the market. All the barrels are 416R Stainless and barreled actions are guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA with quality ammunition in a properly assembled rifle. Good hand loaded ammunition tends to shoot even better still.“

Serious question... If they're such inconsistent junk actions, why would reputable gunsmiths like @bohem at PVA and Terry Cross, and many others, put their names and reputations on the line to sell them, even with their own high-quality built and chambered barrels on them, if they were in-fact garbage, like you claim, that can't possibly be accurate or repeatable?

You sound more personally biased towards Aero than anything rooted in any actual facts... Maybe @John.Warren4 can pop in and explain more about their manufacturing process for their parts, since you seem to think you know everything about Aero. I don't claim to know, that's why I'm tagging experts in here so they'll explain to you why they chose to sell them, or build on them, or use them, or how they're made and to what tolerances and standards.

I'm not saying the Solus is the best thing ever, I'm simply asking how you can be so absolutely 100% sure with having 100% ZERO personal experience with one, or having ever even seen one in person... Seems like a bunch of Fuddlore personal brand bias to me.

Goes on long rant, then uses PVA (who has dozens if not hundreds of pissed off customers who swore off of them due to a bunch of different issues) as some sort of reference. I can name a about 10 people personally that have had horrible issues with them, including me. They are a running joke in the PRS community, with a number of guys in the PNW having issues (and they are on here, and have voiced same concerns in PVA ball gargling threads). Move back into PVA's backyard and yup, people still shit on them. Yet we don't hear anything bad about LRI, SAC (other than them making ship an action), Stuesville, 5x5, ICE, or a number of other great smiths.

That's why threads like this are funny. Most of you don't want to learn shit or have any sort of actually discussion/debate. Not everyone's experience is the same nor is their competence.

You want some sort of peer reviewed study with big pictures and statistics before you will believe anything that goes against what you have seen or heard (or more likely your lack of experience). Most of these issues/debates have been beaten to death around here. Hardly anything posted is new or is the first time.

AND FYI, Aero has a terrible track record in the AR world. They are one of if not the biggest AR manufactures and parts in the world. They have been and were always a budget brand, especially when they just did OEM. I got private branded lowers they made from almost 20 years ago. They do not care about quality, they push out as much shit as possible in such a vollume and low prices that gun stores stock them. Before the BS WA laws, my buddies gunstore in WA was one the biggest brick and mortar dealer of aero parts that wasn't Cabelas/Sportsmans,ect. Contsanst issues with builds and they carried just about every brand of AR parts under the sun. They are a budget builder who pumps out a ton of shit with little no QA/QC. If you want to see a company who does it the right way, go watch this old ass video: . You think Aero is doing this? HAHAHA

Last edited:
In their description, they say it’s been honed and lapped, so maybe they do pay more attention to them than their AR barrels. Isn’t BA owned by Aero? For sure, if they put out duds barrel wise, it would not take long for them to get a bad reputation they would never shake given the current state of information flow on the internet. From what I have seen on YouTube, etc., your results are with the 6.5 barreled action are the norm; let’s hope it stays this way for all their bolt guns. For me, a $1099 Solus barreled by PVA with one of their great barrels was the easy button. I did order a 17” Solus clear chassis that’s a blem for $519. It has a lot to offer for that coin and I can always paint it if I don’t like the color.

What color did you go with? I grabbed the 17" in gold but I'm not sure I'll baller enough to show up in public with that thing so it's prob gonna get a ratle can paint job to tone it down. I did order a solus with 20" PVA in 6.5 PRC for a light weight hunting rig (prob in a bravo) Pretty excited to compare to my nuke.

Jeff

Goes on long rant, then uses PVA (who has dozens if not hundreds of pissed off customers who swore off of them due to a bunch of different issues) as some sort of reference. I can name a about 10 people personally that have had horrible issues with them, including me. They are a running joke in the PRS community, with a number of guys in the PNW having issues (and they are on here, and have voiced same concerns in PVA ball gargling threads). Move back into PVA's backyard and yup, people still shit on them. Yet we don't hear anything bad about LRI, SAC (other than them making ship an action), Stuesville, 5x5, ICE, or a number of other great smiths.

That's why threads like this are funny. Most of you don't want to learn shit or have any sort of actually discussion/debate. Not everyone's experience is the same nor is their competence.

You want some sort of peer reviewed study with big pictures and statistics before you will believe anything that goes against what you have seen or heard (or more likely your lack of experience). Most of these issues/debates have been beaten to death around here. Hardly anything posted is new or is the first time.

AND FYI, Aero has a terrible track record in the AR world. They are one of if not the biggest AR manufactures and parts in the world. They have been and were always a budget brand, especially when they just did OEM. I got private branded lowers they made from almost 20 years ago. They do not care about quality, they push out as much shit as possible in such a vollume and low prices that gun stores stock them. Before the BS WA laws, my buddies gunstore in WA was one the biggest brick and mortar dealer of aero parts that wasn't Cabelas/Sportsmans,ect. Contsanst issues with builds and they carried just about every brand of AR parts under the sun. They are a budget builder who pumps out a ton of shit with little no QA/QC. If you want to see a company who does it the right way, go watch this old ass video: . You think Aero is doing this? HAHAHA

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah………….

Only useful information in all that was BCM makes better AR’s than Aero, which is a pretty universally excepted thought. I agree, I have a BCM, and it’s flawless, but I can’t trash Aero on their AR’s because I’ve never owned one.

Good grief. If you spent as much time writing specific details as you do just trash talking something I might take you seriously, but as it stands, especially considering my personal experience with PVA products, I don’t. I am well aware of the issues PVA had years ago and how they admitted it and fixed it and I find their barrels to be excellent these days. But I guess some people require perfection from the get go out of everything to not future trash talk them regardless of good customer service. Whatever.

Come on man, you occasionally have useful and valid information that adds to the conversation, that’s why I’m trolling you so hard to step up and I haven’t ignored you yet.

Still waiting on the details that will make me question my purchase of a PVA Solus for nonPRS range fun and possible hunting rifle………

The noise of the crickets, thus far, is deafening.

Last edited:
What color did you go with? I grabbed the 17" in gold but I'm not sure I'll baller enough to show up in public with that thing so it's prob gonna get a ratle can paint job to tone it down. I did order a solus with 20" PVA in 6.5 PRC for a light weight hunting rig (prob in a bravo) Pretty excited to compare to my nuke.

I grabbed a clear. I might rattle can it too. What?? You don’t want to be the man with the golden gun at the public range??? 🤣

If you want an even lighter weight PRC, look at AG Composites stocks.

Imo,
It fills the gap between a Tikka action, and a full custom.

Tikka ctr is what, $1100ish?

You could have the Solus triggered and stocked for $1,600. (yeah, some sales were cheaper)

Cheapest Origin build with the same stock and trigger is $2,100ish.

So yeah, I'd say it's probably worth it at it's price point.