• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the ARMALITE M-15 Competition brake pinned?

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
So, I bought an ARMALITE M-15 COMPETITION 18” when I found it for $899 here (not that price anymore):

The damn brake is ON there, man. Scared I will eff something up if I go full-retard on it. Don’t have a barrel vice nor any vice that is accessible (long story, garage is full of remodeling material).

My brother swears it’s pinned, as he had a gunsmith remove his on the exact same model. I don’t really believe him, as he isn’t exactly a gun guy. And I don’t see anything about pinning the brake on any sales pages for just the brake, which obv you can buy separately.

Don’t see any physical evidence that it’s pinned, either.

I would see zero reasons to pin a brake on an 18” barrel, but hey, I am not Mr. Semi Auto. More of a bolt guy.

If it isn’t pinned, my plan is rosin on barrel, apply strap wrench to barrel with wrench on brake.

I’ll contact Armalite, but obv they aren’t open on the weekend.

Last edited:
I have never handled an ArmaLite what's your overall impression of quality?

Everybody has their own opinion's I can only speak for my own experience . some people will say they are not the same as the original and they don't have the lion roll mark . My personal experience so far has been it's an excellent rifle . I bought a 6.5 creedmoor armalite with a 22 inch barrel . I know nothing about the history other than it has changed ownership . the rifle it's self functions perfect I have not had one single issue . It took me less than 10 minutes to set up the adjustable gas system to the correct ejection pattern . I have not had any malfunctions of any kind , the rifle will shoot , I shot a 10 shot group using hornady American gunner 140 grain bthp that measured 1.3 inches at 100 yds . I picked the gun up for 1299.00 and at that price I think it's a bargain .

Basically my brother has had the same experiences as @sparky702. He has two 18” versions. As a side note, his have minimal slop between upper/lower.

I haven’t shot mine yet as I hate brakes. Mine has more slop than his (still acceptable), but that turns minimal once upon my chosen lower, a PWS.

I know slop isn’t a big deal but it bugs me. I had a RRA once that I should’ve kept as that thing felt like it was made out of one single piece of aluminum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ernest 5.56
Note I have recently seen some places that depending on destination (places that ban muzzle threading) will offer muzzle brakes that are pinned and welded

Reactions: Ernest 5.56