• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the CED M2 Chronograph the best choice now?

newguru

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2008
Plano, Texas
Obviously, if Oehler's were available new, I would have that at the top of the list. Being that they don't manufacture them anymore, is the CED M2 Chronograph the best of what's currently being made?

I'm not interested in getting raped for $600 or whatever they are currently going for used on an Oehler so is the CED the best of whats made now?

Feature wise and with the IR option, this looks like the one to beat to me.

I'm a buy once, regreat once kind of guy, but not to the tune of what the used Oehler's are going for and frankly, I don't want to buy a used one being that you don't know what part availability are going to be in the future. If they aren't making them, the parts are eventually going to dry up.

Thoughts? Is the CED M2 Chronograph the one to buy?

Any drawbacks to this model?

I know in another post, someone said you have to fire 5 shots before it gives you any results. Is this true?

Re: Is the CED M2 Chronograph the best choice now?

I have a CED M2. NO regret.Very repeatable results. Of course, unless you want to cough up 600+ dollars for the Oehler. I would go with the CED M2

I have the CED Millennium. It's a nice unit: I typically use it under pretty nice conditions but so far it's always worked.

I have the M2 model and it works. I also sprang for the IR kit and it works fine as long as you don't try to use it on a bright sunny day. I was getting errors when I tried this. The CED tripod is a POS. Look for a better one elsewhere.

I have the Millennium w/IR. I've tested against several Chronys and one PACT; CED, hands down. Also, it gave almost the exact numbers as a frinds Ohler. We lined them up end-to-end with the Ohler in the rear. Velocities were never more than five FPS different.

I've got one and have tried the club chrony before. CED is much much nicer and less errors (probably due to the sky filters).

The only thing that seems to get me is the short battery life, the 9V battery gives me about 3-4 (3 hour trips) and I shut the unit down when done with a group, change targets, clean bore etc.

I use a cheap walmart tripod for mine. Good enough but is cheesy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the M2 model and it works. I also sprang for the IR kit and it works fine as long as you don't try to use it on a bright sunny day. I was getting errors when I tried this. The CED tripod is a POS. Look for a better one elsewhere. </div></div>

Interesting. If I buy the IR kit, should I still pack the old skyscreen as well when using it just to be covered if its bright outside?

Anyone else seen this issue using the IR mod?

That's the unit I'm looking at to replace the one I currently have.

I keep both sky screens packed...

As a side note, I went out to Midway's site and bought their shooting bag when it was on sale. It holds everything and then some when it came to packing the CED up.

Yeah I'm definitely going to pick up some bag to carry all the chrono gear in when I buy it.

I couldnt get mine to work worth a shit until I got the IR upgrade
Something to do with position of the sun on the horizion (living in Alaska)
Atleast that is what the local dealer told me, and sure enough it works fine now

I bought a Pact pro with the IR screens. I have used it a few times now and it is almost flawless. I had one instance when the sun was behind me and shinning down into the eyes. About fifteen minutes later the sun had moved enough that it was no longer an issue.

It has a built in printer as well which makes it easy to record data. I write the load right on the receipt and then file them. If there is a paper target involved i staple it to the target. It also has ballistic software in the counting unit.

I am completely happy with it.

Edited: I have not needed the IR at all and most of my uses were in bright sunlight.

http://pact.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=67

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: newguru</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the M2 model and it works. I also sprang for the IR kit and it works fine as long as you don't try to use it on a bright sunny day. I was getting errors when I tried this. The CED tripod is a POS. Look for a better one elsewhere. </div></div>

Interesting. If I buy the IR kit, should I still pack the old skyscreen as well when using it just to be covered if its bright outside?

Anyone else seen this issue using the IR mod? </div></div>

I've used mine in overcast and bright conditions and at different times of day. The IR screens don't care what angle the sun is at.

Thanks Eddie. I'm going to pick up the IR skyscreens when I buy it so I will be able to go with either or on mine. Looks like the IR is definitely worth the upgrade though.

Nice unit, IF they would get the printer to be on par w/ an Oehler.
It's too slow, and use's thermal paper.......

Is the printer even necessary with these things? Being able to dump all the info in your computer/laptop seems a superior way to get the info after the fact and you won't lose it. I think the unit will store like 1000 readings or something crazy anyways.

I have no need for the printer really... I have a data book and would rather keep all the data digital, less paper waste, less to break. Besides, taking the time to write things down gives the barrel time to cool anyway,
wink.gif

I'm dumping my malfuntioning POS Beta-Master Shooting Chrony for either a CED M2 or the Pact... both seem to be really nice and offer the IR upgrade.

I have an older Pact, and have used the M2.
I rate the M2 much higher.....the better display is nice.
M2 would be my first choice today.

My m2 should be here next week. Sinclairs sent out a flyer with them on sale. Of course, they did'nt have any to send out. Waiting on back order.
Have had a chrony gamma for a long time. The printer quit working not long after I got it. Now those cheap plastic snap together sun screens are so brittle that they come apart and fly off the sensors. Have them duct taped together, looks rather getto.
Going to put both units in line and see how close they are in reading velocity. Then I might shoot the gamma for grins.

im looking at the millenium looking for more input.

Thanks

What questions did you have that weren't answered by this 3 year old thread?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What questions did you have that weren't answered by this 3 year old thread? </div></div>

maybe the quality has changed.. or maybe if i bumped this thread someone would recomend another brand, im just looking for feedback in general thanks
smile.gif

this is my first Chronograph and hopefully the last i buy for a while. so really the only other thing to purchase is the tripod and maybe a bag?

The bag fits it well, I don't regret buying that particular option.

IR Screens are a good option also.

Terry

However, I do wish that they would put the IR printing option back on it. I have the older M2 that I can print to a wireless HP priner at the range.

Can't count the number of times guys ask to shoot a load thru it, and it's nice to be able and print the results to hand them.

MY .02 on that!

Terry