• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the Chargemaster supreme worth the upgrade?

eod_tek

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2019
Just started reloading in the last year and bought a chargemaster link off the bat to get started. So far I have had a mostly good experience with it, but I'm mostly throwing n570 and h4350 and when I throw h4350 it seems like I end up having a string of overthrows every 10-20 rounds. I'm considering upgrading to the supreme to have learning feature, but I wanted the see if anyone had some real world experience they can share of if it works and how well it works.
Thanks in advance!

4350 gives all powder drops a difficult time. The improvement you'll get is a much better scale.

Chargemaster overthrows are mostly the result of too much powder in the tube during the trickling mode. In the 1500 we change the increments for the speed change and also modify the outlet of the tube with a straw, bushing, or in my case the shoulder/neck portion of a 243 case. Not sure if there is any programming for the Link.

I'm not sure upgrading like that will net you the results you seek. A couple of questions:
How many rounds are loading at a given time?
Are you reloading to go to matches on a monthly basis?

The reason I ask, is, if you're like my dad, he only shoots 20 or so rounds a session 4 times a month between pistol and rifle. If you're like shooters here who go to matches on a monthly basis where your measuring several hundred charges a session, I would try to steer you to an autotrickler v4 or supertrickler. I have the v4 and love.

I'm not sure upgrading like that will net you the results you seek. A couple of questions:
How many rounds are loading at a given time?
Are you reloading to go to matches on a monthly basis?

The reason I ask, is, if you're like my dad, he only shoots 20 or so rounds a session 4 times a month between pistol and rifle. If you're like shooters here who go to matches on a monthly basis where your measuring several hundred charges a session, I would try to steer you to an autotrickler v4 or supertrickler. I have the v4 and love.

I do shoot 3-5 prs matches per year, am hoping to do a few nrl hunter matches, and am shooting the nightforce elr match in Wyoming, so I do have plans to load a lot in the coming years.
If I'm only loading 10-20 rounds it's really not bad, but I just loaded 120 for a match and some quick validation shooting and I think it easily cost me 20 minutes in the whole process, having to yeet over throws back in as often as I did.
I've considered an auto trickler, but with the cost jump over a chargemaster (I am military and rcbs does offer a discount on them), I'm just not convinced yet that I'm ready to make that leap.

In that case, you could look at the RCBS matchmaster scale and see how that works for you. I ran the chargemaster 1500 scale for close to 10 years. It was taking to long to drop powder for matches, spending close to 2 hours or so just measuring powder. The autotrickler v4 is significantly faster and more accurate than my chargemaster.