• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the CZ 457 varmint camo (manners stock) worth it?

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
Trying to dwell in the rimfire world and have decided that the 457 is my choice, is the price tag on the precision varmint camo worth it? I love manners stocks and I know they’re quality but it’s pricy. On the other hand if I went with a cheaper model I’d probably just end up buying an after market stock/chassis.

Opinion?

Check out the AT-ONE for a less expensive model with adjustability. I have one and really like it. My next one will have a barrel with match chamber....... maybe just but a Lilja barrel....

Reactions: Islas82
I started my CZ journey with an At-One. Felt great. ...just not the right tool for the PRS job I was using the rifle for.

Got a KRG Bravo for the barreled action. Much better.

Bought a 2nd 457 and immediately stuck that into a Bravo too.

HTH

M

Reactions: WileyG and Islas82
I had one and liked it, I still ended up with a Lilja on it though. If the specs meets your needs out of the box it's a good buy, if it doesn't and you're going to swap stuff around then I'd look elsewhere.

If you want factory suppressor ready it and the AT ONE are your only options for a heavy barrel, the AT ONE is impossible to find in stock though unless you're willing to pay over MSRP, you used to be able to find them for $550 or so shopping around and they were a great buy.

I'd still take a KRG Bravo over either the Manners or AT ONE though. Aluminum bedding block, fully adjustable, and easy to put an arca rail or anything else on.

If you don't need a threaded muzzle you can grab an american varmint and drop it in a KRG and be done for under a grand. If you want threaded you can buy the cheapest 457 model for about $450, a KRG Bravo for $400, and a Lilja barrel for $500 and only have about $200 more into it than a base precision trainer costs and less than a MTR version with the adjustable cheek.

Another thing to consider is that at the custom 457 or MTR precision trainer price range you're less than a grand under what you can put together a Vudoo or RimX for... You can get a Vudoo barreled action under $1800 with shipping and tax if you shop around, used KRG Bravos pop up all the time for $250-$300 shipped and then you just add the trigger of your choice. RimX are $1150 and Proof SS prefits for them are $500 and I've seen Proof CF prefits on here new or lightly used for $500-$600 either of which puts you right at the same price as the Vudoo. If I was going to have $1500ish in a CZ I would just go the Vudoo/RimX route at that point.

It's really just a matter of where you want to draw the line and whether or not you are going to or want to fuck with it.

Does anyone sell CZ 457 BA’s or are they always complete rifles?

I do prefer stocks over chassis, had a few MCS TCS and loved them. My centerfire sits in a Foundation at the moment.

Buy the MTR. Keep its barrel. Sell its stock to the wood-dorks at a premium. Take the cash and buy a chassis. If you want best affordable option.

The CZ 457 PT MTR (has Manners stock and MTR barrel) is the way to go if like the rugged manners stock as well as the utility and status of having the top of line model.

I've never seen a CZ 457 BA at a dealer but the synthetic stock ones are the cheapest way in.

If your centerfire is in a Foundation I'm assuming its R700 platform. You could also get a Bergara B14 barreled action and drop it in whatever 700 stock you want.

I had one and liked it, I still ended up with a Lilja on it though. If the specs meets your needs out of the box it's a good buy, if it doesn't and you're going to swap stuff around then I'd look elsewhere.

If you want factory suppressor ready it and the AT ONE are your only options for a heavy barrel, the AT ONE is impossible to find in stock though unless you're willing to pay over MSRP, you used to be able to find them for $550 or so shopping around and they were a great buy.

I'd still take a KRG Bravo over either the Manners or AT ONE though. Aluminum bedding block, fully adjustable, and easy to put an arca rail or anything else on.

If you don't need a threaded muzzle you can grab an american varmint and drop it in a KRG and be done for under a grand. If you want threaded you can buy the cheapest 457 model for about $450, a KRG Bravo for $400, and a Lilja barrel for $500 and only have about $200 more into it than a base precision trainer costs and less than a MTR version with the adjustable cheek.

Another thing to consider is that at the custom 457 or MTR precision trainer price range you're less than a grand under what you can put together a Vudoo or RimX for... You can get a Vudoo barreled action under $1800 with shipping and tax if you shop around, used KRG Bravos pop up all the time for $250-$300 shipped and then you just add the trigger of your choice. RimX are $1150 and Proof SS prefits for them are $500 and I've seen Proof CF prefits on here new or lightly used for $500-$600 either of which puts you right at the same price as the Vudoo. If I was going to have $1500ish in a CZ I would just go the Vudoo/RimX route at that point.

It's really just a matter of where you want to draw the line and whether or not you are going to or want to fuck with it.
Compelling argument. I saw a MTR varmint in stock for $800 (walnut stock) and have heard great things about them but like you say I don’t know how happy I’d be with the stock in the long run and probably would fuck with it. I know id be happy with the manners but after Area419 bolt knob, arca and scope base I’ll be sitting right at around $1500. Something to think about.

Compelling argument. I saw a MTR varmint in stock for $800 (walnut stock) and have heard great things about them but like you say I don’t know how happy I’d be with the stock in the long run and probably would fuck with it. I know id be happy with the manners but after Area419 bolt knob, arca and scope base I’ll be sitting right at around $1500. Something to think about.

$1500 and still have a factory barrel that isn't going to shoot like a cut rifled on a Vudoo or RimX. The main reason I replaced the barrel on my 455 was because of the random fliers, the Lilja cut down on them by at least half.

Reactions: Islas82 and DIBBS
Countless people have have been down this same road. As far as budget and your level of interest in pursuing rimfire sports, you'll figure it out.
I will leave few tidbits of info for you.....
CZ's - I love em, started with a 455 varmint tactical (Boyd's stock) and ended up building it out with a chassis and custom barrel. Then did it again !, and both are excellent shooting rifles. Achilles heel ?, trigger(455's) and maybe the little plastic magazines but they feed very well.

But - at the end of it all they are still just CZ's and everything you bought is CZ specific and forever tied to that rifle. So when I built my Vudoo I had zero to start with except glass.
But, and I'm not a Bergara fanbois nor do I own one, if you start with budget build maybe try a Bergara.
Because of the commonality of the foot print most add-on items you buy would transfer up to a Vudoo or RimX.
So that awesome chassis and trigger upgrade you did on the Bergara will give you a leg-up towards the next.

If you really like the Manners MTR stock it's still much cheaper... $1600 for a CZ 457 with the Manners.

If you got a Vudoo for $1800, you still need to buy a Manners tock for $1000 more.

I'm not saying don't get a Vudoo, but a budget is a budget.

If you're tight on money, you could also just get a Vudoo and share your current Centerfire stock.

The Manners stock is the reason I bought my CZ 457.........shot it for about a year then put a Lilja barrel on it.

20221113_195459.jpg

Reactions: xb40 and WileyG
The new Manners stock on the MTR version is nicer! Adjustable cheek rest and a flat bottom with 2 sling studs to remove and put the Area 419 weighted rail right on it.
The one available now is the non-mtr version. It’s just the trainer varmint.

Looking closely at the MTR varmint with the walnut stock about $300 cheaper and I have heard nothing but good things about it.

I think it is. I crunched the numbers of buying a varmint pro, ordering a Manners, and selling the Boyds stock vs. just buying a VPT. Wound up buying the VPT.

Reactions: Islas82