• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Is The FNH SCAR 17 Worth It?

Rialb

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2011
Tikrit, Iraq
I'm working on talking my dear wife into letting me drop some cash on a new rifle. I love everything FN that I've ever touched, and now I'm hoping for a SCAR. Would all the SCAR owners of the world unite to give me/my wife some reasons as to why it is worth the heavy hit to the wallet? What does that extra cash get me?

Re: Is The FNH SCAR 17 Worth It?

dont think its worth it yet, great plaform and company, but due to the lack of aftermarket support, and no additional barrel options. your pretty much stuck with that skinny 16 inch barrel

for me to be interested, would like some type of match barrel

I think it's a great set up built as a piston gun from the ground up not a modified DI gun. The lack of parts is the only thing that worries me. HOpefully it will catch on and they will have parts that are easy to get.
When I looked at the 556 SCAR when they first came out, parts were really hard to come by. I would look and see how easy parts are to find for the 556 version and that should give you a good idea on how the available the heavy's parts will be in the near future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont think its worth it yet, great plaform and company, but due to the lack of aftermarket support, and no additional barrel options. your pretty much stuck with that skinny 16 inch barrel

for me to be interested, would like some type of match barrel </div></div>

+1. Additionally if i wanted one I would wait until the price drops as the 16S did an not get burned as the early 16S buyers did.

Right now I think all of these rifles are in continuous upgrade mode, the ACR, the COLT, the LWRC, SCAR, rob arms XCR, the military has started its push for an M4/M16 replacement, I will be waiting to see who the winner is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Set</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm working on talking my dear wife into letting me drop some cash on a new rifle. I love everything FN that I've ever touched, and now I'm hoping for a SCAR. Would all the SCAR owners of the world unite to give me/my wife some reasons as to why it is worth the heavy hit to the wallet? What does that extra cash get me? </div></div>

The Heavy has been on my want list ever since it's existence went public, but I have pretty much lost that loving feeling for it.

I have the 16 and it is my favorite rifle to shoot now. I have fired the 17 and it is a sweet rifle to shoot also, I would have one if it weren't for the price. I'm hoping SHOT show will revile some mods for the SCAR weapons. I know Geissele has made a trigger already. I dont know if there are a lot of people here that own the 17 but if you cant find what your looking for here, try fnforum.net.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont get that loving feeling till its tried for 20 years </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">+1</span>

That's a good rule.

I own a SCAR 16 and love it, but i don't think the 17 is worth the extra $1000. The two rifles share about 80% of the parts with each other and the price difference doesn't make much sense to me. That and the fact that it takes it own (very expensive) magazines puts it out of reach for me. I'd save yourself the $1000 and buy a LMT MWS and use the money you saved to get the LMT stainless steel barrel. You get almost everything the FN has to offer in a cheaper, better built package.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have several nice 308's including an HK-91, Springfield Model 21 and my new SCAR 17 is at the top of my list. YEP, Its worth it!</span>

Its worth it! I have had a chance to feed one and it ran awesome.

Thanks for all of the input. After reading this feedback and doing some digging, I'm now thinking on a DSA SA-58. Any thoughts on that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Set</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all of the input. After reading this feedback and doing some digging, I'm now thinking on a DSA SA-58. Any thoughts on that? </div></div>

that passes the 20 year "love test" then...

I love my FAL, it's a hoot to shoot, it's simple and reliable, but about 3+ MOA with DAG surplus. It's quite a different beast. I had a para folder, but didn't like it nearly as much as the fixed stock version. I replaced the standard stock with an M249 stock and pistol grip. Then I kinda gayed it out with too many rails, I would forgo the forarm quad rail next time
crazy.gif

this is an old pic, it now has a rear sight and low rings for the scope...
web.jpg

And yet another sidetrack. What can anybody tell me about the PTR 91? How available are magazines for it? Are there high capacity magazines out there? What sort of accuracy can I expect?

the scar will have the aftermarket support being that it is a military weapon i wouldn't worry about that. unlike the ACR which was never adopted. there is actually a fairly sizable parts assortment and growing.

i know they have m4 stock adapters, they already have rail attachments to make the forearm longer, geissels has a trigger obviously. the biggest problem i see is goin to be barrels as the swap involves most of the gas system and the lower rail on the forearm so i dont' see that many companies taking that leap. it will be interesting to see once the new SSR comes what other options come along with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the scar will have the aftermarket support being that it is a military weapon i wouldn't worry about that. unlike the ACR which was never adopted. there is actually a fairly sizable parts assortment and growing.

i know they have m4 stock adapters, they already have rail attachments to make the forearm longer, geissels has a trigger obviously. the biggest problem i see is goin to be barrels as the swap involves most of the gas system and the lower rail on the forearm so i dont' see that many companies taking that leap. it will be interesting to see once the new SSR comes what other options come along with it. </div></div>

Talking with FN reps at the SHOT Show nobody seems to have a clear picture when the mags and spare parts will start to come out in any appreciable manner.

truthfully i would replace most of the small stuff on the gun anyways

grip- obviously
the selector switch is garbage, i would love to see a nice billet one instead of plastic crap.
trigger- with geissele making one that is a nice start
plastic only goes so far i don't like how cheap some of those parts feel. i put a fixed stock on mine after having constant issues with the folder.

i say like most thing give it time. the parts will come till then go buy a OBR, GAP, APA, LWRC, POF ar10 and have fun you won't be missing much.

i got to shoot a SCAR-17 with a 10.5" barrel and suppressed this last week. i put 6 mags through it shooting steel. took a mag to get used to, but at the end of the day, especially suppressed i had a better understanding of the system.

would i buy one? sure down, the road after a couple bolt gun projects were finished.

i will post a picture later

ETA; @ Set, i bought Hundreds of HK mags (Aluminum when they were 100 for 50.00 at Tapco years ago) if ya need a couple i would hook ya up

Most of the complaints that you guys have talked about have already been addressed as I think someone else has said.

BigJoe. I've seen a replacement selector switch.

Support for these weapons systems looks like its DEFINITELY increasing.

Have faith brothers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the complaints that you guys have talked about have already been addressed as I think someone else has said.

BigJoe. I've seen a replacement selector switch.

Support for these weapons systems looks like its DEFINITELY increasing.

Have faith brothers. </div></div>

yeah i know magpul came out with one, have yet to use it

I was going to pick up a 17S but from what I read accuracy with match ammo typically hovers from 1MOA - 1.5MOA and I wanted something that could fill the precision role as well as carbine role. That said I'll pick one up when I can afford it. I chose something else this time around but with 17S mags now available and replacement selector levers, near availability of reinforced stock latches, and possible barrel options all make the rifle more desirable. It's a battle rifle and should do well as such...

CMS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SakoTRG FAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a SCAR 16 and love it, but i don't think the 17 is worth the extra $1000. The two rifles share about 80% of the parts with each other and the price difference doesn't make much sense to me. That and the fact that it takes it own (very expensive) magazines puts it out of reach for me. I'd save yourself the $1000 and buy a LMT MWS and use the money you saved to get the LMT stainless steel barrel. You get almost everything the FN has to offer in a cheaper, better built package. </div></div>

Whoa, wait a sec. the LMT is heavier, by about 4 pounds. Also, a scar 16 can be had for $2300, and if you wait a month or two, you will see scar 17's for around $2700. They are not $1000 more. Only because people are jacking up the price. I heard all the horror stories about the scar 16, oh the pencil thin barrel, the lack of support, bla, bla, bla. The scar 16s is by far the most fun, lightest, and ergonomical .223 rifle I have ever owned.

I am not going to shoot 40,000 rounds through it in 2 years and wear out the barrel. I just love all the tacticool stuff people have to have and will bust anything down to make themselves feel better. Most of the people that put down a scar have done just that, picked it up, looked at it and put it back down at the gun counter. None have shot one, non have owned one. I got a guy who swears he is the most knowledgeable guy on guns in the northwest. What ever he says is gold, he put down my Les Baer pistol, said nothing can compare to a Nighthawk, but yet his nighthawk has been sent back 3 times and he has had my smith work on it to get it right. But yet, I crushed him at the range with my poor les baer that I paid $1800 for compared to his $3200 custom Nighthawk. This guy also thinks a scar is a POS.

Bottom line, no one on here is taking it to a war anytime soon, if they are, they are getting issued one. Sometimes you need to read through the BS that is the internets and make a decision on your own. Find someone who has one, shoot it, and then come and tell us if you think it is garbage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">plastic only goes so far i don't like how cheap some of those parts feel. i put a fixed stock on mine after having constant issues with the folder.
</div></div>

that is what everyone said about glocks some 20+ years ago, but yet they are still around. Hold on, I'm getting my boots on. =)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gasitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SakoTRG FAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a SCAR 16 and love it, but i don't think the 17 is worth the extra $1000. The two rifles share about 80% of the parts with each other and the price difference doesn't make much sense to me. That and the fact that it takes it own (very expensive) magazines puts it out of reach for me. I'd save yourself the $1000 and buy a LMT MWS and use the money you saved to get the LMT stainless steel barrel. You get almost everything the FN has to offer in a cheaper, better built package. </div></div>

Whoa, wait a sec. the LMT is heavier, by about 4 pounds. Also, a scar 16 can be had for $2300, and if you wait a month or two, you will see scar 17's for around $2700. They are not $1000 more. Only because people are jacking up the price. I heard all the horror stories about the scar 16, oh the pencil thin barrel, the lack of support, bla, bla, bla. The scar 16s is by far the most fun, lightest, and ergonomical .223 rifle I have ever owned.

I am not going to shoot 40,000 rounds through it in 2 years and wear out the barrel. I just love all the tacticool stuff people have to have and will bust anything down to make themselves feel better. Most of the people that put down a scar have done just that, picked it up, looked at it and put it back down at the gun counter. None have shot one, non have owned one. I got a guy who swears he is the most knowledgeable guy on guns in the northwest. What ever he says is gold, he put down my Les Baer pistol, said nothing can compare to a Nighthawk, but yet his nighthawk has been sent back 3 times and he has had my smith work on it to get it right. But yet, I crushed him at the range with my poor les baer that I paid $1800 for compared to his $3200 custom Nighthawk. This guy also thinks a scar is a POS.

Bottom line, no one on here is taking it to a war anytime soon, if they are, they are getting issued one. Sometimes you need to read through the BS that is the internets and make a decision on your own. Find someone who has one, shoot it, and then come and tell us if you think it is garbage. </div></div>

There's a bit of BS here to wade through.First how do yo come up with the LMT is 4 lbs heavier it's 9.9lbs the SCAR is 7.9 lbs.And the SCAR 16 was such a great rifle that the people that requested it's development declined its adoption.

Fact the 17's have wandering zero issues I've seen it first hand.Its a decent platform but its no miracle gun.If you notice your not seeing it(16s)in three gun matches much.Those guys shoot alot and if it gave an edge it would be there.

When I called LMT, I asked them the weight, it is a concern for me since my shoulder is blown out, and they told me 11.7 pounds. Sorry, I rounded up, forgive me for my ways of deception.

And I see it in many 3 gun matches around here. In fact, I would say last month, I saw 7 of them at Paul Bunyan (local range) I was very impressed to see that.

Like I said, there are haters out there. And you proved my point, you do not own one, nor have you. I never said it was a miracle gun, but neither is the LMT or LWRC. A three gun match is not the governing body. Tell me this, if the ACR is so much better, why is it not in combat? Why is it that it is not in one single branch of the government. Was that not what the Masada was designed for? It has only gone through testing, the scar was approved.

IDK, I get tired of all the haters, I am not trying to be stubborn, but god dam, 99% of the people on this board will never use their rifles for what they are designed for, to actually kill a threat. You have to think, is X amount of money worth it. Even with the scar. If your going to just have fun with it, buy a plum crazy lower for $125 and a DSA upper for $400 and you have one nice play toy.

I dont know who you called, but I know what I can measure. My MWS WITH the Elcan Specter DR, a mag and a sling on it is 12 lbs even. I speculate the difference in weight for a MWS vs 17 is less than but close to 2 lbs. Im basing that on the 16 and 17 being very close in weight. My 16s is 8 lbs. IMO having shot both my 16s and my mws in 3 gun matches, the mws is on the brink of being too heavy. im seriously considering pulling the elcan and putting my USO SN3 1.8X10 on it and setting it up more DMR than MBR. Im possibly picking up a 17s in a week or so as a MBR. The biggest challenge for me with the MWS was shooting on the move. I dont have that trouble so much with my Colt or 16s which with all the accessories are right around 9.75lbs. So if I could be at 10 or under on a 17s with Specter, id be happy with those weights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gasitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I called LMT, I asked them the weight, it is a concern for me since my shoulder is blown out, and they told me 11.7 pounds. Sorry, I rounded up, forgive me for my ways of deception.

And I see it in many 3 gun matches around here. In fact, I would say last month, I saw 7 of them at Paul Bunyan (local range) I was very impressed to see that.

Like I said, there are haters out there. And you proved my point, you do not own one, nor have you. I never said it was a miracle gun, but neither is the LMT or LWRC. A three gun match is not the governing body. Tell me this, if the ACR is so much better, why is it not in combat? Why is it that it is not in one single branch of the government. Was that not what the Masada was designed for? It has only gone through testing, the scar was approved.

IDK, I get tired of all the haters, I am not trying to be stubborn, but god dam, 99% of the people on this board will never use their rifles for what they are designed for, to actually kill a threat. You have to think, is X amount of money worth it. Even with the scar. If your going to just have fun with it, buy a plum crazy lower for $125 and a DSA upper for $400 and you have one nice play toy. </div></div>

Ha Ha I love your selective response.You were the one that was 100% higher in weight difference not "rounded up".So you seem to be guilty of your ultimate sin of not realy knowing what your talking about.

I have no grudge against the SCAR.Just people like you who because what you decide is correct, everyone else must be a hater.

Why not explain why this miracle gun was opted out for selection?

How about the huge wandering zero issues with the 17s?Or a stock that is plagued with issues its almost comical.

You claim to hate bashers but your quick to slam NH in the same post.

Where did the ACR come from???

Sorry get over yourself.

Here is the Mk 20. It gives you an idea on what FN is thinking. As BigJoe said, its all in how much aftermarket support is given to it, but if there is no demand from the shooters then there will be no supply from the companies.
Rifles like the ones that Lewis Machine and Tool makes are the end result of demands given by the shooters for a specific product. If you guys want something then e-mail as many companies as you can with your demands.
MK-20.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gasitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I called LMT, I asked them the weight, it is a concern for me since my shoulder is blown out, and they told me 11.7 pounds. Sorry, I rounded up, forgive me for my ways of deception.

IDK, I get tired of all the haters, I am not trying to be stubborn, but god dam, 99% of the people on this board will never use their rifles for what they are designed for, to actually kill a threat. You have to think, is X amount of money worth it. Even with the scar. If your going to just have fun with it, buy a plum crazy lower for $125 and a DSA upper for $400 and you have one nice play toy. </div></div>

Ha Ha I love your selective response.You were the one that was 100% higher in weight difference not "rounded up".So you seem to be guilty of your ultimate sin of not really knowing what your talking about.

I have no grudge against the SCAR.Just people like you who because what you decide is correct, everyone else must be a hater.

How about the huge wandering zero issues with the 17s?Or a stock that is plagued with issues its almost comical.

Sorry get over yourself.</div></div>

I am not bashing any other rifle, all I stated was what I was told. And if your LWRC or LMT is great, why are they not being used by the US military? Why are they not being used by SOCOM?

Get over myself? I am defending my own rifle, are you? Do you even own any of the above rifles? Probably not. I am not saying everyone is a hater, nor did I say anything about hating any of the above rifles.

Don't read into shit, like you are doing. For some reason, people love to hate on the scar, they pick apart a new design. how do you think the soldiers 50 years ago thought when they were handed a rifle that shoots a .22 cal bullet? Going from a .308 or 30-06?

And like I said, people frowned on the glock also with it's plastic frame, but now it is the most sold pistol in the world.

So yeah, haters going to hate, but don't put words in my mouth. I think all the above rifles are great. But I think the OP did not want to go with a scar in the first place, I mean really, he has gone on about what, 3 different guns already? I really do not think he has looked at any of them. Only making posts on Internet boards.

One more thing, I live in Washington state, and my brother in law is SF at Ft. Lewis, has been for many many years. He has shot just about everything he can in combat and also at other humans as these rifles have been intended for. Guess what he carries? A scar 17. 2 in each squad. Funny thing is, only 2 people in a squad run a typical M4, I was kinda shocked to hear that. Problem is, the US Army is not going to issue $2500 rifles to grunts, thus the majority of infantry run $800 colts.

but like I said, ask your grandad, or uncle about getting the M16, they were like, WTF am I suppose to do with this. New technology is not taken well, they are still improving on the AR15/M16 base rifle. Give the scar 50 years like the M4 has had, then come and talk to me.

actually M4's are under 600.00 according to fedlog.

just trying to lighten the moment, isnt one of the SBCT's getting ready to NET the SCAR16? i was told 10th MTN or 101 was also from one of the Unit LNO's coming through RC Capitol

I do not know, I do not follow every aspect of the gun, I care about what loads I need to load up on my progressive and what it likes best. =)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gasitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gasitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I called LMT, I asked them the weight, it is a concern for me since my shoulder is blown out, and they told me 11.7 pounds. Sorry, I rounded up, forgive me for my ways of deception.

Ha Ha I love your selective response.You were the one that was 100% higher in weight difference not "rounded up".So you seem to be guilty of your ultimate sin of not really knowing what your talking about.

Sorry get over yourself.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">...And if your LWRC or LMT is great, why are they not being used by the US military? Why are they not being used by SOCOM?</span></div></div>

Because the U.S. government isn't willing to spend $2500+/ea for each soldier to be equipped with such a weapon. It's all about MONEY.

Nightforce, USO, S&B, and Premier are all better optics than Leupold but the government issues Leupold scopes...because of the DOLLAR FACTOR.

I dont really care much about what actually gets issued because so many issues, politics, budget, etc etc, can cause a selection other than whats best it becomes nearly useless to use this information. What I do care about is how much something has been tested. This at least provides some insight into the system its self.

Gasitman, I think your a little off base in you assumptions about other peoples motivations. Although this board has seen its fair influx of keyboard commandos, it is by no means Arfcom. I have found, generaly speaking, the thinking to be very progressive and open to new ideas and tech on this forum. Hell lots of new products are born out of discussions HERE! Those comments that you make about hating new tech is what REALLY sounds like forum rhetoric to me.
I think you will find many here that simply dont have an emotional attachment to their equipment. They pick what works best for them. Do I like my SCAR. Yes I do. Are there things about it that are absofuckinglutely retarded? Yes there are. Would that make me a hater? Having a SCAR16 I still picked the MWS first. And Im still on the fence about the 17. But in my mind they arent exactly designed for the same role. I tried to press the mws into a CQB role. I did this rather successfully. But it is not ideal being on the border of too heavy. I think I would have the same feelings about the 17s if I tried to use it in a DMR role. I think both rifles can cover the other role, but I think they both lean a bit in different directions. In my opinion the MWS is likely better in the DMR role. I suspect the 17s is better in the MBR role. Which gets to the point that what the individual wants out of the system is key. Not what someones third grade teachers boyfriends room mate at college got issued. Research your system and pick whats best for the role you are trying to fill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here is the Mk 20. It gives you an idea on what FN is thinking. As BigJoe said, its all in how much aftermarket support is given to it, but if there is no demand from the shooters then there will be no supply from the companies.
Rifles like the ones that Lewis Machine and Tool makes are the end result of demands given by the shooters for a specific product. If you guys want something then e-mail as many companies as you can with your demands.
MK-20.jpg
</div></div>

hmm your picture doesnt work for me. He is the latest and greatest by FN.

If you have any questions or concerns about the SCAR in particular I would be happy to help. Thanks!
ssr_2010-tfb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont really care much about what actually gets issued because so many issues, politics, budget, etc etc, can cause a selection other than whats best it becomes nearly useless to use this information. What I do care about is how much something has been tested. This at least provides some insight into the system its self.

Gasitman, I think your a little off base in you assumptions about other peoples motivations. Although this board has seen its fair influx of keyboard commandos, it is by no means Arfcom. I have found, generaly speaking, the thinking to be very progressive and open to new ideas and tech on this forum. Hell lots of new products are born out of discussions HERE! Those comments that you make about hating new tech is what REALLY sounds like forum rhetoric to me.
I think you will find many here that simply dont have an emotional attachment to their equipment. They pick what works best for them. Do I like my SCAR. Yes I do. Are there things about it that are absofuckinglutely retarded? Yes there are. Would that make me a hater? Having a SCAR16 I still picked the MWS first. And Im still on the fence about the 17. But in my mind they arent exactly designed for the same role. I tried to press the mws into a CQB role. I did this rather successfully. But it is not ideal being on the border of too heavy. I think I would have the same feelings about the 17s if I tried to use it in a DMR role. I think both rifles can cover the other role, but I think they both lean a bit in different directions. In my opinion the MWS is likely better in the DMR role. I suspect the 17s is better in the MBR role. Which gets to the point that what the individual wants out of the system is key. Not what someones third grade teachers boyfriends room mate at college got issued. Research your system and pick whats best for the role you are trying to fill. </div></div>

I enjoyed your post. I was wondering if you found time later if you wouldn't mind expanding on your final conclusion there between the SCAR and the MWS in different roles, and why you felt the way you did about them? I think both of these rifles look like great forward steps in what's available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont really care much about what actually gets issued because so many issues, politics, budget, etc etc, can cause a selection other than whats best it becomes nearly useless to use this information. What I do care about is how much something has been tested. This at least provides some insight into the system its self.

I think you will find many here that simply dont have an emotional attachment to their equipment. They pick what works best for them. Do I like my SCAR. Yes I do. Are there things about it that are absofuckinglutely retarded? Yes there are. Would that make me a hater? Having a SCAR16 I still picked the MWS first. And Im still on the fence about the 17. But in my mind they arent exactly designed for the same role. I tried to press the mws into a CQB role. I did this rather successfully. But it is not ideal being on the border of too heavy. I think I would have the same feelings about the 17s if I tried to use it in a DMR role. I think both rifles can cover the other role, but I think they both lean a bit in different directions. In my opinion the MWS is likely better in the DMR role. I suspect the 17s is better in the MBR role. Which gets to the point that what the individual wants out of the system is key. Not what someones third grade teachers boyfriends room mate at college got issued. Research your system and pick whats best for the role you are trying to fill. </div></div>

I agree with what your saying, but I have never seen so much hatred towards one rifle in my life. It is all over the FNH board, I see it first hand at the range. "Oh God, why did you spend so much on a useless thing like that" Or the self proclaimed expert at my local gun shop, the supposed ex seal.

I am sorry for my rant, it just bothers me people make judgements on something the read about on the Internet, or something their cousins, brothers sisters, ex boyfriends dad saw. Just stuff like that. If you really read this thread, you can see some people bashing it have just held it or shot a few rounds at a range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
MK-20.jpg
</div></div>

hmm your picture doesnt work for me. He is the latest and greatest by FN.

If you have any questions or concerns about the SCAR in particular I would be happy to help. Thanks!
ssr_2010-tfb.jpg

</div></div>

Well, I'm going off of your profile, okay?

First. When can we see a release for the civilian version of the Mk 20?

Second. Is FN considering selling a version of all SCARs with a non-reciprocating charging handle?

Third. What took you so long in ending up on this board? LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Second. Is FN considering selling a version of all SCARs with a non-reciprocating charging handle?

Third. What took you so long in ending up on this board? LOL! </div></div>
That is something FNH has to decide. my guess is sometime in 2012

2) Not that im aware of. If its not broke why fix it?

3) I spend most of my time on the FN forum trying to help those guys. The scar doesnt seem to have the fanbase the AR has but im willing to help if i can
smile.gif

Couragewolf, I would be pretty far out of my lane to say the SCAR is a better MBR and the MWS is a better DMR, these are just my humble spculations. But my reasoning behind this is fairly simple. With milsurp ammo my MWS has been sub 2 moa. This is with an elcan specter on it that has a 2 moa dot. Even with the Elcan, I tossed some FGGM in there and got sub moa results , although a bit inconsistantly. Im sure its due to the elcans kinda large dot. Anyway, Ive been competing in some multigun matches. These matches are a local creation. Basically they are 3 gun meets IDPA. The courses of fire typically were from 7 yds to 100 with all maner of shooting position and type of target. I did well. With the MWS I consistantly held around 3rd fastest run of the match with the MWS. I was the only 308 competing against all 5.56's. (I belive the elcan really helped me). BUT I can say for certain, without a doubt, that after running dropping, getting up, going urban prone, by the time I got to the end, I was huffing and puffing with the mws. In particuler I found it tricky to shoot on the move. Its a lot of weight to try and keep stable as your moving. I did not feel nearly the same when I ran eitehr my colt or my scar on the same cof. Now considering the MWS has the availability of match and aftermarket barrels and triggers, you can alter it to shoot better if it doesnt meet your standards. In this regard, the SCAR does not enjoy such options (yet). Im sure Geissele will correct at least the trigger availability. But I dont know of ANY barrel availability for SCAR 17's. So in the role of a DMR where a weight penalty is probably more acceptable and given I can chase accuracy with the MWS in the aftermarket if need be, it seems better suited here. Now the SCAR 17 range reports Ive seen seem to peg it at a 2 moa rifle, which is fine for MBR. Given its lighter weight, it seems natural that it would accell here over the mws. For me the real speculation is in reliability/durability. All reports for both rifles has been very high. My MWS has not had a single malf for about 3 or 400 rounds without a single cleaning. It hasnt been cleaned yet!!! Like I said earlier, if I could be under 10 with my specter on a 17, I think that would be a great MBR setup! If Im not mistaken, its role in the US military is MBR where the Brits adopted the MWS in a DMR role. So it seems this is acceptable logic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Third. What took you so long in ending up on this board? LOL! </div></div>
That is something FNH has to decide. my guess is sometime in 2012

2) Not that im aware of. If its not broke why fix it?

3) I spend most of my time on the FN forum trying to help those guys. The scar doesnt seem to have the fanbase the AR has but im willing to help if i can
smile.gif

</div></div>

Well. The SCAR doesn't have that particular fanbase, YET!

The AR platform has a couple decades on the SCAR.

Just like the 1911 has a higher fanbase than the H&K Mark23 has.

It takes awhile for a large majority of the American civilian shooting population to accept a firearm platform. Months, years, decades, sometimes centuries in the cases of certain platforms. Platforms made by foreign companies are the examples here.

I have a SCAR 16 & 17 and they are very fine battle rifles. I've read some stuff in this thread and other threads that are either hyperbole, BS, rumor, ignorance or nonsense. Like the guy that said that all these new rifles (and he listed several including the ACR along with the SCAR) are so new they are still working all the bugs out. This made me laugh, you cannot compare an ACR to a SCAR. The SCAR is the most thoughly US military tested rifle in HISTORY before purchasing was allowed. Look it up.

One guy in this thread said he had 2 SCAR 16s until he got buyer's remorse. Sounds like crap to me, either he bought the wrong rifle for his intended use and expectations, he decided he spent too much and needed the money, or he doen't know what a really fine, modern, well engineered rifle is. Hey, I guess there are people who might prefer a Chevy Malibu to a Lexus too, I guess that's what makes the world go around.

Then there are all the folks who expect a SCAR 17 16" tube assault rifle to group like a bolt action sniper rifle. The standard SCAR 17 was designed as an all around battle rifle. Many of the AR type 308s were designed more for stationary sniping, but not all of course. If you want a rifle for long shots buy a rifle made for long shots and tight groups. BTW The SCAR rifles are pretty accurate while still being light weight, I'm not gonna put a 2 pound scope on my 17. No 15x or 20x hunks of glass or Elcan of lead for me, it is a rifle designed to be CARRIED, its not a bench bunny. If you want a semi auto rifle to punch holes try a FNAR Heavy with a 20" tube and save yourself $1500.

And who is the genius that says that a larger/heavier bolt carrier ensures that you will have MORE recoil (I guess he meant sharper recoil)? Sorry, but that is simply not a fact. If it was true then a bolt action 308 rifle (no bolt carrier) weighing the same as a SCAR 17 and shooting the same round would have a lighter (less sharp) recoil than the SCAR 17. Felt recoil is much more complex than that. BTW the SCAR 17 has a very soft recoil IMHO.

I bought my SCAR 17 FDE in December for $2900 shipped WITH the goofy Comiefornia modifications. And I bought my black SCAR 16s for $2350 shipped in June 2010. The black SCAR 17s is usually cheaper (for now)if you want one of those. The high price for the 17 is driven by the fact that the Military and LE folks get first dibs.

FN announced to their dealers back in August (I think) that they would ship very few SCAR Heavy (17) rifles until at least the end of the first quarter of 2011, because of other comittments. So maybe the supply will increase, and, therefore, the price will drop after that, who knows.

Parts are NOT as big an issue as everyone is whining about. I bought lots of spare parts for my SCAR 16 (remember when everyone was whining about "never" getting parts for those) and there is some interchangability (is that a word) between the SCAR 16 and 17.

As someone said the SCAR barrel service life is about 30,000 rounds or so. I'm sure barrels will be available before you wear one out. AND BESIDES IF YOU CAN AFFORD 30,000 ROUNDS OF .308 THEN YOU CAN AFFORD A NEW RIFLE IF NECESSARY. Other spare parts will be coming for the SCAR 17 according to FN.

Yes, barrels will come and there are already people who are back-engineering the gas block and other pieces for future additions to the aftermarket. I've seen CAD drawings.

I saw someone in this thread who argued against the SCAR because they didn't like the plastic selector switch, geezus people. I can understand why someone might not like the stock or the selector switch (Magpul has a replacement), but these rifles have only been out for a few months and I'm sure there will be aftermarket replacements. Me, I love the stock except it rattles when jerked around. The selector switch could be better, but that is not going to keep me from enjoying a really good MODERN rifle.

Tangodown (I think its TD) has an aluminum folding stock latch and some other goodies, there are now rail extensions, an alternative shape charging handle, and different sights are coming. Someone has a prototype stock replacement as well. Check FNForum and M4Carbine forum. And Geissele (spelling?) has a replacement trigger.

IS THIS RIFLE WORTH IT? H3ll YES! There is very little I would do for mods which means I don't have to spend a lot on modifications, so yes, the extra bucks are worth it and it shoots great.

So, if you don't like well designed and military tested rifles with modern engineering and (IMO) great ergonomics, that come pretty much fully loaded (just add glass and go), then don't buy this rifle.

BTW stop saying there are NO magazines available, I just bought five 25 round C-products magazines (I have to buy rebuild kits) for about $40 each. If someone still cannot find magazines I'll be happy to sell these for $100 each...LOL

Hey, buy some other rifle if you want, but if you want a .308 BATTLE rifle this is my favorite, and the fewer you buy, the sooner the price will come down so I can buy more.

I just get kinda frustrated sometimes with people who just cannot deal with anything they don't already know.

Dam good posting. Your more eloquent than me. And like you and I said, give the scar 50 years, like the M4 has had, and we will see how things are.

It has only been barely 3 years.

Fact..The FN SCAR is a direct copy off the G36. Also FN has been trying to work the bugs out for about a decade not 3 years and still hasnt fixed the problems..
BTW SOCOM was in Belgium very recently with an ultimatum to fix the SCAR or else...pretty sure its gonna be the latter.
Honestly the the G36 was never even designed to work with a 7.62 and the Germans just about give up on it so I seriously doubt FN is gonna get a it to work propper..
BTW becoming emotionally vested to a rifle or optic becuase you spent a lot of money on it is pretty stupid..

thats funny, i believe one of your references was made at me, yes i'm picky cuz unlike everyone buying one for civilian use i was issued one. and for a gun that they have forced down our throat for the last 5 years this thing should be PEFRECT. just like zohan said there are NUMEROUS AAR"S on this gun malfunctioning and shifting POI, the trigger is horrible and the gun in general feels cheap. feel free to love it all you want. I am in a position where i don't just shoot paper with is and can be as picky as i would like, doesn't mean its goin to change as people who have lost all touch with reality decide what i can and can't take with me overseas. I have personally seen a SCARH (notice military reference) shift POI enough to not hit a 10" steel plate at 100 yards. THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! period end of discussion, i'm sure with how many hours of modern warfare you've logged with the gun and the hundreds of rounds you've punched through paper you have the background and experience to condemn comments made by people who's background you know nothing about.

Joe, well said. I think you have the experience level on them too for a solid assessment.