• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the impulse multi caliber?

Savagelover

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2024
Vermont
Hey yall I had a question about my savage impulse. I was reading some where and it said that the impulse is a long action with an adapter to take short action magazines and if you can easily change out the barrel is the impulse mutual caliber where you can go from a 6.5 creed to 308 or 30-06 even 300 win mag just by changing the barrel and bolt maybe. So can I technically buy a 110 barrel for a 30 cal and a new bolt for a 300 win mag or 308 and shoot it out of my impulse?

Attachments

• IMG_6999.jpeg
    IMG_6999.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 28
Hey yall I had a question about my savage impulse. I was reading some where and it said that the impulse is a long action with an adapter to take short action magazines and if you can easily change out the barrel is the impulse mutual caliber where you can go from a 6.5 creed to 308 or 30-06 even 300 win mag just by changing the barrel and bolt maybe. So can I technically buy a 110 barrel for a 30 cal and a new bolt for a 300 win mag or 308 and shoot it out of my impulse?
The Impulse receiver bolt hole centers are wider than the 110 model bolt centers, so the 110 long to short action magazine adapters won't work on the Impulse, but the 110 magazines will.
Since Savage doesn't have any parts (Bolt Heads) for sale for the Impulse yet, You would need to buy an Impulse rifle chambered for the specific rim diameter of a cartridge you want to swap too or your stuck with swapping barrels chambered for cartridges with the same rim diameter of the rifle you have.

SJC

The Impulse receiver bolt hole centers are wider than the 110 model bolt centers, so the 110 long to short action magazine adapters won't work on the Impulse, but the 110 magazines will.
Since Savage doesn't have any parts (Bolt Heads) for sale for the Impulse yet, You would need to buy an Impulse rifle chambered for the specific rim diameter of a cartridge you want to swap too or your stuck with swapping barrels chambered for cartridges with the same rim diameter of the rifle you have.

SJC
So because they don’t sell bolt head if I want to shoot another caliber the rim diameters have to be the same? I just need to swap out the barrel. So if they ever start selling new bolt heads I could swap it out?

Last edited:
So because they don’t sell bolt head if I want to shoot another caliber the rim diameters have to be the same? I just need to swap out the barrel. So if they ever start selling new bolt heads I could swap it out?
If you have a 300 win mag Impulse rifle which uses a .573" bolt head, you would need a bolt head with the rim dia of .473" for 30-06 and 308 case based cartridge's.
Any small shank barrel will work with the Impulse line except the elite precision, which uses a large shank barrel.
I have two Impulse predators and after predator season ends, I will check to see if I can swap bolts and still maintain a safe headspace.

SJC

If you have a 300 win mag Impulse rifle which uses a .573" bolt head, you would need a bolt head with the rim dia of .473" for 30-06 and 308 case based cartridge's.
Any small shank barrel will work with the Impulse line except the elite precision, which uses a large shank barrel.
I have two Impulse predators and after predator season ends, I will check to see if I can swap bolts and still maintain a safe headspace.

SJC
I have the 6.5 creed which means I can use that bolt with a 30-06 or 308? Also sorry for all the questions I’m new to this stuff

I have the 6.5 creed which means I can use that bolt with a 30-06 or 308? Also sorry for all the questions I’m new to this stuff
Yes and being the big game Impulse is a long action model, you can chamber it in any .473" rim diameter cartridge that'll fit into a long action magazine.
There are at least 15 factory loaded cartridges and many more wildcat cartridges that use a .473" Rim dia.

SJC