• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the M1A a Good Rifle?

OutRider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2009
Rockland, ME / New Haven, CT
...I have been considering one but have heared a lot of bad things said about them...

...but SAinc sells so many rifles they can't be that bad...most people seem happy with them...

...I thought this might be a good place to seek opinions...is the M1A.a good rifle or not...???...

I liked mine immensely, and carried an M-14 for over a year in a combat zone. It kept my young butt alive and never let me down when I needed it.

But when the Wolf came to the door, the M1A and the AR-15 went abroad to pay the mortgage. The Garand stayed.

Greg

No, the M1A isn't a "good" rifle...IT IS A GREAT RIFLE!!

BUT...as with all things in life, whether or not it is a good fit in terms of a rifle for you will depend on what you want/need out of it, your budget, etc., etc., etc. Knowing more about your intentions/ideas for the rifle will help this discussion immensely.

SAI has spotty quality. Seen many an out of spec/self destructing rifle made by them show up at the local gunsmith's shop.

You have to ask yourself - if 4 of the key parts not counting the receiver when purchased on the open market as authentic USGI parts cost more than an entire rifle from them, how are they doing it? Simple - they are having replica parts made in Taiwan - op rods, bolts, trigger groups, flash hiders, sights, other small parts.

Their barrels are OK as they are Wilson blanks CNC'd to M14 specs in 3 different contours - standard USGI, light match, and heavy match, along with both chromoly and stainless variants of the USGI contour.

They are a good company and stand behind their products. If you look at it logically, real M14 parts have not been manufactured for what close to 40 years? To keep producing the rifle, they HAD to source the parts somehow. They are not the first company to go overseas for parts.

They are nice. They are kind of hard to keep shooting well. That is the reason many service rifle shooters have gone to the AR. There were other reasons but that was one of the. It is also one of the reasons the USMC dumped them for designated riflemen program.

I still like shooting them everytime I get the chance. I did get to shoot one with a USGI pistol grip stock and I liked it just that much more.

The M1A is my favorite battle rifle. It's a reliable and well made rifle and it will not let you down. Springfield Armory has a lifetime guarantee on their rifles and that shows they stand behind their products.

You can gain a wealth of knowledge on the M14 forum which is dedicated to the M1A rifle.

http://m14forum.com/

I really like mine, plus it was one of my favorites while in.
M1As.jpg

Guns1194.jpg

I own 2 Devine TX made rifles 1 a National Match the other a factory made select fire. Both are great rifles. I also owned an early SA Inc it was also a great rifle. A few years ago I bought a Socom and was really disappointed on how far the quality had fallen. Sold it shortly after I got it. If you can find a early one on the secondary market that is the way I would go.

I own 2 Devine TX made rifles 1 a National Match the other a factory made select fire. Both are great rifles. I also owned an early SA Inc it was also a great rifle. A few years ago I bought a Socom and was really disappointed on how far the quality had fallen. Sold it shortly after I got it. If you can find a early one on the secondary market that is the way I would go.

I have a 1998 springfield and yes there are certainly quality issues that shouldn't be there. They are still good rifles though just have to know what to look for and what to check.

Great rifle. It's a battle rifle. Don't expect the precision you get from an AR platform. At least not w/o a lot of effort and upkeep on your part and even then it will be frustrating at times. They were never meant to be a precision shooter.

Good is a understatement...IT'S AN AWESOME WEAPON WITH LOTS OF CHARACTER AND HISTORY!!! The fact that our Boys are still using it overseas today as a Semiauto Sniper Rifle platform proofs how valuable this rifle truly is...

Good is a understatement...IT'S AN AWESOME WEAPON WITH LOTS OF CHARACTER AND HISTORY!!! The fact that our Boys are still using it overseas today as a Semiauto Sniper Rifle platform proofs how valuable this rifle truly is...

+1

The short answer is YES. Though, you have to weigh how you will use it though, and how bad do you enjoy military period weapons. For me, I’ve always wanted one, and ultimately it was not a question of which is ‘better’, (vs. AR ) it’s a question of your preference. The M1A will shoot very accurately, but remember it is a battle weapon. Don’t expect to shoot tight groups like bolt guns, but its very capable to shoot out to 1000 yds. I don’t think people who compare this gun to a modern AR-style weapon are truly comparing apples to apples. Think about it; a weapon that was designed/built in the mid to late 50’s still being used today. (actually design upgraded from the Garand)
The one post one the parts is fairly accurate, the rifle is a tank and is very reliable, but in order to keep its cost of mfr down, SA had to find a way to make parts econimically, like everything else these days, parts let alone original forged parts, are not what they used to be.. they sacrafice some forged for cast parts. If you want to have the same rifle, but with all forged parts, try Fulton Armory, you'll see what I mean.. I have a SA M14, bought new, have 1000 rounds through it so far and never a hikup. It is absolute joy to shoot, the recoil and action are so smooth you would not know it was a 308, keep it maintained though. I don’t wear a scope on mine since I enjoy the open sights on this gun and way its meant to be fired, so I don’t know if I will ever put a scope on it. Anyway, whatever you choose, have fun.

+1
I don’t wear a scope on mine since I enjoy the open sights on this gun and way its meant to be fired, so I don’t know if I will ever put a scope on it. Anyway, whatever you choose, have fun.

I put a scope on mine. Hated it and took it off. Something about the clean lines and nostalgia of that rifle that a scope kills. And because you have to mount it so high you really have to build up a good cheek weld.

I have two, and love mine. I have bedded both. That helps with accuracy. Very dependable action. Placing optics presents a little problem compared to AR platform rifles, but it can be done with good results. Many prefer to shoot iron sights. This is a great rifle, and worth owning at least one.

Its a great battle rifle. There are some ARs in the .308 realm finally able to outperform them. But even an "out of the box" match one is cheaper that the AR variants. If you ever want to see a scientific comparison between battle rifles, check out Boston's Gun Bible. Its and excellent book in many respects, not just the comparison.

Link for Boston's Gun Bible: http://www.amazon.com/Bostons-Gun-Bible-Boston-Party/dp/1888766069

It's still one of the great firearms designs that is still great. Similar to the 1911 pistol the M1A can be used as is or built for applications specific use. Excellent sights & trigger and out of the box accurate than most that fire it. The. 308 is at a disadvantage ballistically to the. 223 for target paper punching and the M1A is harder to fire accurately. It really depends on what you want. As for Springfield quality they have had ups & downs but are still here making guns and stand behind them as always.

TheMactwins_zps293b9bc5.jpg

I have an M1A and like it but I Love the garand, M14, 1911, Thompson, BAR family of weapons. That said my next one will be a Fulton m14 or build of similar quality and the M1A might go down the road to fund it. Check out some of the dedicated m14 forums.

I own an M1A super match. Like others have said, I had a scope on mine and got rid of it. Now I just have iron sights on it. One of my favorite rifles.

I have a National Match and an all USGI Bush rifle. The NM is my favorite rifle because I'm tall and like the balance, great trigger, and the history behind the rifle... picked up the Bush as an investment, it has maybe 2 mags through it. I'd like to get a nice trigger job for it and start shooting it. Both are probably both accurate than me. Just wish it was not so difficult to scope (not as easy as say, a flat-top AR). I tried a few scopes and decided to just enjoy the iron sights, they are excellent.

m1abush.jpg

dscn6734b.jpg

DSCN6745.jpg

Outstanding scope, just a tat unwieldy of a setup:

DSCN6706.jpg

M1A are awesome rifle, flawless & I have 2 of them, never have any problem & it has a lifetime warranty. I have M14 too.

I have one too, bought it 25 years ago 1987 Super Match with 678 rounds through it. Used it to compete in High Power for a couple of years. I haven't shot in years and recently thought about selling it. But have since came to my senses. Lot of history behind those guns. Like some of the others have mentioned I have the ART 4 scope and quick mount, but found that it was more fun to shoot using just the iron sights. I remember when I first bought it I was at the range working up a load for it and once I found it's sweet spot I shot a 3/4" 4 shot group, my spotting scope wasn't strong enough for me to see that it was a one hole group until I had 4 shots going. Once I saw what I had shot naturally the 5th shot was a flyer.lol. For a gun that was deisgned that many years ago it's still very impressive.
Pete

I've shot quite a few and felt that they just shot OK. But I was spoiled...I used to shoot an Armscorp NM. That thing would clover leaf at 200 easily...always out shot the SA and any other match m1a it went up against....too bad I had to pay rent and needed to get rid of it.

So, is the M1A a good rifle...absolutely, if they're built properly.

From the Super Match to the Scout, all are good rifles. Each have their own purpose, but all have that American quality that you can just feel in every one of them. Fine rifles that put heavy rounds down range.

When I was younger my dad use to take me to Ace hardware, where they also bought and sold guns. There was an M1a there that I fell in love with. I asked the owner if I could make monthly payments, and he let me. It took me 9 months to pay for that bad boy, a shit ton of mowed grass, but she was all mine. I absolutely loved that gun, still to this day I can honestly say it was my favorite gun, just something about them. In 2003 some shitbag broke into my girlfriends home and stole it, along with my grandpa's old six shooter. I have missed that every since, I cryed when I found that gun gone. That gun would eat an ammo, functioned every time, and was extremely accurate for a semi with iron sights. I would not hesitate to own another one, matter of fact I'm working on that now!

I have 2 of them. The scout version, and the standard version. Both perform very well. They both are very sturdy...much more "beefy" than my 3 AR15s. They shoot great and feed wonderfully. If I had to leave my house with only 1 rifle, most likely it would be my M1A.

Meh, I had one, sold it, the design did nothing for me.

They look pretty with a nice walnut stock and a NF on top but I'll probably never own another

My dad has the exact same model as posted by Scottx88 (woodland camo/SS barrel) and he would never part with it. It's REALLY accurate and I've never seen or heard of him having a problem with his.

I love the M1A, to be honest it stands out as the greatest iron sight gun I have ever used. I know a lot of guys glass them and that's all well and good but shooting one with the irons is sublime.

It is NOT the a GOOD Rifle, It is a GREAT Rifle, as General George S Patton said ""the greatest battle implement ever devised". This Rifle serve our brave soldiers in 2 theaters of WWII, Korean War and Vietnam and is still used by some US Allied Forces.

Nice comments regarding the m1a , i m kinda caught in between iron sights or turning it into one of my sniper rifles that i will tag team with my ruger scout or my remington 700 with my ais stock . I love my 700 , but i hear the new 700 will out shoot 700 s from 20 years ago , does the ais stock make that much of a difference from other synthetic stocks ??? ! Any input ! And now what do you think about the navy seals using the m1a as their sniper rifle and i hear delta force loves the m1a , thanks ! Nice info from you all

...I have been considering one but have heared a lot of bad things said about them...

...but SAinc sells so many rifles they can't be that bad...most people seem happy with them...

...I thought this might be a good place to seek opinions...is the M1A.a good rifle or not...???...

You are REALLY going to have to define what you mean by "good". You cannot make an m1 platform rifle accurate enough to consistently group inside a dime. An M110 will do that with FGM or M118LR. What you CAN do with a M1 platform rifle is make an accurate fighting rifle that will keep you alive even up close(bayonet). An M110 won't do that.

As for the quality of SA stuff, SA keeps their costs down by sourcing parts from foreign companies and using cast receivers. I have a SA loaded complete with med contour carbon barrel and SA match trigger. It's in the process of an upgrade after ten years and has not been shot much. I used to pop clay pigeons from the standing at an honest 100 yards if that means anything(the weight makes it point rather well). Now I'm slowly replacing SA factory parts.

Already has the Sadlack op rod spring guide. What's left: adjustable gas plug, Fulton armory extractor, and welded gas cylinder. Basset mount for cheap Bushnell tactical and strap-on cheek piece. Possibly a nitrided and polished gi piston and a forged op rod(has anyone here ever broken a SA op rod?). The final piece will be a replacement for the Cali muzzle brake it came with(I have something literally one of a kind planned for that). Will be bedded in devcon.

If I could have only one rifle it would be this one.

It's kind of like the argument over 1911 versus plastic pistol. Some of us just click better with the old heavy chunk of steel.

EDIT: Here's a good SA review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jJsYV1nGag

Last edited:
....thank you for your thoughtful reply...

....I'm guessing the. Fulton Armory Enhanced Battle Rifle (tm) might be a better choice than the SAI NM rifle...
D
...forged parts if not usgi...eh...

Yes they are a fine rifle! Mine are reliable and not to picky about what you feed them.
guns021_zps8264a63a.jpg

This was way more accurate and a lot more picky about what you fed it!
guns004_zpscee4a831.jpg

Depends on what you you want the rifle to do!

Trip,
Gen. Patten died prior to the M1A being designed, much less built. He was referring to the M1, which is similar in many respects, but not the same rifle in any way.
RTH

....thank you for your thoughtful reply...

....I'm guessing the. Fulton Armory Enhanced Battle Rifle (tm) might be a better choice than the SAI NM rifle...
D
...forged parts if not usgi...eh...

I think the sweet spot with SA is the loaded. You get the medium barrel and the trigger job, everything else can be done at your pleasure. If you're gonna spend more than that then definitely have a gun built with a Criterion barrel on a forged receiver. I'm just building a more accurate infantry rifle.

Also all of Fulton's receivers list the following: Precision CNC Machined From “Lost Wax” Investment Casting 8620 steel. This is exactly what Springfield Armory uses. This makes LRB Arms the last company left that uses forged receivers.

I have a Super Match M1A that was built for me by Glenn Nelson in 1983 when I was down at Ft Benning for Infantry Officer Basic. I had an original Leatherwood scope and mount, but sold that set years ago. Now I just use the iron sights. I now also have a SOCOM 16 that I like quite a bit.

Best two-legged rat rifle I ever carried in combat; also the only. As said above, mine is gone to pay a mortgage; and the Garand remains. I feel adequately equipped for anything a service rifle goes well with.

I like the M1-A very much, but the design is over 50 years old (1957 Adoption by the military IIRC). hey are great fin to shoot, so whether you buy one of those, or a newer design is up,to you.

to be sure, you can do a great deal of work tricking one out, but if you trick out a newer design, you will have a nice rifle there too.
I would evaluate the following to help you

1. What do you want the rifle to do?
Shoot on a range, or be a fighting tool?
2. Cost of any modifications to each system.
3. Availability of rifle, magazines, spare/repair parts, optic mounting systems and costs...who can work on the rifle?
4. Durability of each system
5. Interchangeability of parts and magazines with other systems around you
6. Do you want a standard cartridge(7.62x51) or something different (6.5 Creedmoor)?
7. How much do you anticipate shooting the system( back to durability and maintenance costs)?

Also, if youmscopr the rifle, the M1a stockmismdesigned for iron sights..a scope requires modification or adjustment unless you use an E2 stock. Even then, you might still need modification to the stock.

Get an AR in 308 with a 20" barrel or longer first, then get a M1A. I love my M1a standard, litterally saved my lunch money while raising 4 kids for 15 years to get the M1a, then started making more and more $ as I got older and added the AR's and many others. I literally fell t sleep on my couch with the M1A on my chest the weekend I picked it up, my wife has a picture she took somewhere. Getting the M1a for me was an emotional event, but I recommend getting the AR in 308 first at this time. Choice between using wither in combat? It would be close but I would have to go with the M1A, just because I could beat someone to death in less blows than the AR if I had to. The AR's are easier to build and upgrade yourself than the M1a, however there is no real industry standard for all 308 AR's like there is for 223/556 AR's, it s still cheaper and easier to figure out, plus its easier to make more accurate than the M1a.

Very simply, the real question isn't about which semi to get, but whether any semi can be bought. Holding out for the ultimate semi could leave one with nothing when the other shoe finishes dropping.

I like the M1-A very much, but the design is over 50 years old (1957 Adoption by the military IIRC). hey are great fin to shoot, so whether you buy one of those, or a newer design is up,to you.

I keep seeing this come up but isn't the design of the AR15 over 50 years old as well? 1957 design with adoption in 1964. Given the AR has more modernized mods but the design is the same.

L

Layton,
I do believe you are correct about the age of the M16 design...if not, it is so close that I am not going to quibble over a year or two as your point is spot on.

When I compare the Garand and M1A design to newer designs, I think about old and newer motorcycle designs. Sure, the Yamabusa is a screaming hot machine...so are some of the newer rifle designs. But I know damned well that if I showed up at a motorcycle rally with a mint 1954 Harley that was all tricked out, the Harley would get a lot more interest than the yamabusa.
And everybody would want to ride the Harley, and shoot the Garand, or M1A.

There is something retro, and very cool about some of those older designs. and like the Harley, they will both get the job done!

I have a Busa and a Harley Ultra both great bikes but when it came time to ride from Key West to Homer Alaska I rode the Harley. Love them both but my go to is the Harley.

Biggest difference is that the AR was designed to be modular and assembly-line produced and the M1A wasn't. That's why the AR has taken off in recent years and also why people call them "LEGO guns".