• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is the Minox zp5 worth the extra cash

jarredsc

Jarred s
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2018
Texas
I am looking At getting a new rifle scope for a bergara hmr pro and I was wandering if the Minox zp5 is that much better to go then spend 2500 dollars new or to get a Leupold mark 5hd for 1700
Minox will be a 5-25x56 mr5
Leupold mk 5 5-25x56 with h59
What are your guys thoughts who have had experience with both

Well those reticles are significantly different. Man, I would fit your scope selection to your reticle choice. Both those scopes are excellent choices at those price points... Minox glass perhaps a tad better, but the Leupold 5 really hits it out of the park for Leupold and its glass is really good. Regarding the price, you use this thing for 5 years, the different in price is modest (whereas a Leupold vs a TT, that remains a big difference in price).

I do prefer the mr5 because the setup will be mainly for hunting out to 600 and I think the h59 is more of a military style reticle than a hunting ret

No need for the 5-25 for hunting out to 600. I have the ZP5 5-25 on my comp gun, and I have a Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 on one of my hunting rigs. I think the Mark 5 is much better suited as a hunting gun optic. It is lighter, has a very useable reticle (I have the tmr) and has good glass. The Minox has spectacular glass and I really like the scope, but I think it would be overkill at that mag range for a hunting rifle.

As much as I love my zp5, it's a tank. For a hunting rig, I'd probably lean towards the Leupold. If it was a prs or just a target rifle my recommendation would flip, though.

No need for the 5-25 for hunting out to 600. I have the ZP5 5-25 on my comp gun, and I have a Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 on one of my hunting rigs. I think the Mark 5 is much better suited as a hunting gun optic. It is lighter, has a very useable reticle (I have the tmr) and has good glass. The Minox has spectacular glass and I really like the scope, but I think it would be overkill at that mag range for a hunting rifle.

2oz is much better? Without illumination? The ones I played with had gritty parallax knobs. The scopes did not feel like high quality. Big disappointment.

2oz is much better? Without illumination? The ones I played with had gritty parallax knobs. The scopes did not feel like high quality. Big disappointmentdis.

which one diddnt feel like good quality

I talked to Somone And have decided that the Minox will be my best option I do like the Leupold a lot but reticles are not good at all I just need to find a Minox zp5 5-25x56 with the mr5 reticle used and I’ll be happy if anyone knows is Somone selling one pls let me know will give them a good price

2oz is much better? Without illumination?
I think the Minox 5-25 is about 10-12 oz heavier than a Leupy 3-18. Personally, I have never had to use my illumination in a hunting setting. Both morning and evening I have been able to see my reticle just fine in legal shooting hours, even with my shittier scopes.

The OP said his main use would be hunting to 600 yards, I always think big game when I think hunting. I guess a 5-25 would be okay for shooting varmints and stuff way out there, I just never saw a need for such a high mag scope for hunting. Even during matches I rarely find myself much above 18x, unless I am shooting past 1k or I am milling a target. I would also think something along the lines of a 3-18 would "scale" better on the Bergara. I have my Minox on a MPA chassis with a 24" barrel and a 7" suppressor and the thing still looks huge. I don't think you will disappointed in the Minox, it just isn't the first scope I think of when recommending a scope geared more towards hunting.

I think the Minox 5-25 is about 10-12 oz heavier than a Leupy 3-18. Personally, I have never had to use my illumination in a hunting setting. Both morning and evening I have been able to see my reticle just fine in legal shooting hours, even with my shittier scopes.

The OP said his main use would be hunting to 600 yards, I always think big game when I think hunting. I guess a 5-25 would be okay for shooting varmints and stuff way out there, I just never saw a need for such a high mag scope for hunting. Even during matches I rarely find myself much above 18x, unless I am shooting past 1k or I am milling a target. I would also think something along the lines of a 3-18 would "scale" better on the Bergara. I have my Minox on a MPA chassis with a 24" barrel and a 7" suppressor and the thing still looks huge. I don't think you will disappointed in the Minox, it just isn't the first scope I think of when recommending a scope geared more towards hunting.

The OP wasn’t asking about the 3-18. He was asking about the 5-25 which is 2oz lighter which means nothing on a 15 pound rifle.

I’ve looked through a 3-18 the only problem is that when I shoot to zero my rifle or shoot groups I always shoot at max zoom of 25x I think 18 power is a bit low for that but when I do take shots at longer distances I do shoot in the 16-20 power range. I had a Kahles k525i and the power range worked perfectly for me

The Leupold. Everything about it is low rent.
Not sure what Leupold model you are talking about, but the 3 Leupold Mk 5-25s I have seem have all been excellent - fit and finish, knobs, glass. I don't own one, never have, so I'm not a fanboy, but just conveying my experience with scopes on buddies' rifle. They are right below S&B, Premier, Minox, etc.

oo ok I see so it doesn’t have a good quality build compared to The Minox and even a nightforce
Meh, not really. While I'll agree the Mark 5 does have a shitty parallax knob everything else on it isn't bad. Good turrets and good glass (Minox is better though).

The OP wasn’t asking about the 3-18. He was asking about the 5-25 which is 2oz lighter which means nothing on a 15 pound rifle

I agree. I would also agree the Minox is the next level up from the Leupold in terms of optical clarity, build quality, pretty much everything. I just thought that particular scope (the Minox) wouldn't be my first choice when it came to a higher mag hunting optic, but that is just my opinion. I would roll with whatever makes you happy, the Minox is a really good scope.

Yes I would like to get it used hopefully Somone would like to sell their mr5 for 2300
A used Leupold mark 5 is around 1700 used so 600 to 500 dollar diffrence I think the Minox is definitely the better option now that I have had some input on it.

I had a couple zp5s and they're nice but not an amazing, best in its price range scope. When they were on sale with the 50% deal, that was an excellent value. Sold all mine for 7-35 atacrs and have been much happier and don't miss anything about the minox. The mk5 is an awesome scope. Id say get that and save the money over the minox. You saw that Cabelas marked down the mk5 3.6-18 tmr to 899...I'm sure the px will be flooded with nib mk5 shortly
Any link to the Mark 5 on sale? I didn’t see it on cabelas website.