• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the PVS eyepiece worth it on a standalone MH25?

nikonNUT

The harbinger of... making things not work anymore
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 6, 2019
    Gunlandia
    Hey guys,
    Curious if the eyepiece upgrade is worth the effort if I am running a single thermal on my helmet. I totally get it if I was running a dual band with a PVS-14 but will I gain anything on a the single like seeing more of the screen aka no helmet mode and running the thermal a bit further from my face, etc. Just a nOOb asking stupid questions. I appreciate the insights!

I can't exactly answer your question, but...

If you buy the V2 version of the MH-25 it no longer requires an eyepiece upgrade. And the prices are the same as the V1's, so if its a money issue it becomes a non-factor. I have a V2, and can vouch that the new eyepiece meshes very well with my PVS-14. I was able to achieve "fusion" vision after an hour or two of use. I think my brain just needed a little training to put it together.

You never know if you might want to bridge it down the road.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    I can't exactly answer your question, but...

If you buy the V2 version of the MH-25 it no longer requires an eyepiece upgrade. And the prices are the same as the V1's, so if its a money issue it becomes a non-factor. I have a V2, and can vouch that the new eyepiece meshes very well with my PVS-14. I was able to achieve "fusion" vision after an hour or two of use. I think my brain just needed a little training to put it together.

You never know if you might want to bridge it down the road.
    Fair point! I picked up a V1 with a Norotos rhino mount and all the j arm bits for $2700.00 (Nothing worth going ooh and ah over but I'm happy for the price). With the current set-up to see the entire screen (even in helmet mode) I have everything set as close to my face as possible. It's workable but a bit fiddily. I'm hoping that more glass (diameter) on the eyepiece side would open things up a bit. I'm a ways off mainly because I lack the courage to take a pair of channel locks to a thermal at the moment! :LOL: And I do agree that bridging is coming and isn't a matter of if but when!

Last edited:
    From my research, the PVS14 eyepiece upgrade brings the mH25 closer to a true 1x magnification. I think the V1 factory eyepiece has a slight amount of magnification? @jstokes1 gave me that info in his very informative thread, below. The V2 eyepiece is very close to true 1x, it matches my 14 pretty well.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    So just for others edification I bit the bullet an got the PVS-14 eyepiece. It is a game changer gentlemen! While I cannot comment on the magnification issue being able to run it helmet mounted and not in helmet mode (seriously reduced screen size) is amazing. It really makes it a different device! Full disclosure, grabbing the factory eye piece with channel locks and twisting is a butthole puckering experience but it came off easy after a tense moment. :LOL: