• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Is the R700 SA OK for the 6x47 ?

w1423

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
SW Arkansas, Texarkana
Dumb question, but I do not have any experience with the 6x47.
OR do you need a Long Action. Which is best for the heavier bullets?
Also is the 6x47 and 6x47Lapau the same brass.
What is the oveall length of the loaded 6x47?
Thanks
Bill

Re: Is the R700 SA OK for the 6x47 ?

Case length for 6 x 47 is 1.850"
243 win is 2.045"
223 is 1.760"

The Cartridge OAL will be different depending on the bullet weight/shape....
(should be around 2.4".....)
Should work fine in a SA,
Although I think you'd have to start with a 223 action
(or at least the bolt)
since the base of the cartridge is the same diameter....

Don't know about the 6 x 47 vs 6 x 47 Lapua....

You need to figure out which cartridge you're talking about. The 'old' 6X47 was a wildcatted round based off the 222 Remington Magnum...so think of a 223 necked up (just a little longer). Now the 6mmX47 Lapua is a totally different animal based off the 6.5X47 Lapua cases. Very good rounds (both of them) in their own right. Either one will work very well in a short action, the 222 RM version requiring a small bolt face as mentioned before and the Lapua version offering a lot more capability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msalm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to figure out which cartridge you're talking about. The 'old' 6X47 was a wildcatted round based off the 222 Remington Magnum...so think of a 223 necked up (just a little longer). Now the 6mmX47 Lapua is a totally different animal based off the 6.5X47 Lapua cases. Very good rounds (both of them) in their own right. Either one will work very well in a short action, the 222 RM version requiring a small bolt face as mentioned before and the Lapua version offering a lot more capability.
</div></div>

Thanks for the info
smile.gif
Is the Lapua it's own cartridge? Or based off another?

The Lapua case is technically based off the modified .250-3000 case It was first, the 6mm International with some slight changes. Then that got modified to make the 6x47 Lapua. The big difference between the 6mmx47 Lapua and the 6mm International (besides 40 years) is that now there are tight twists in 6mm and people are making heavy bullets again for 6mm. When the 6mm's first RE-appeared on the market, it was thought they would only handle up to 100 grs. With a tight enough twist they would handle up to 133 grs.

And, to answer the question you posed in your post...The Rem 700 SA is THE optimal action for the 6x47 Lapua or the "old" 6x47 wildcat. Just remember to get the right bolt-face for the one you pick.

Thanks again for the info,
and on the topic of 6mm's....
I am building a 6mm Rem....
you can fit it in a SA,
and AICS mags...

chpprguy,

You can fit it in a short action but that would limit the seating of the bullets. I would go with a long action. My 6mm Rem is in a Mauser action. Perfect fit for the case. If you wanted to go with the Ackley version, I would do it that way if I do it again, then Long action for sure. That will allow you to seat the bullets out aways and not have to single feed.

For the record, i.e. history's sake. Remington did/does chamber the 6mm Rem in short actions. The problem is the bullets needed seating deep, negating some of the benefits of a longer case.

So, as noted, for using a mag, long action. If you don't mind single-feeding then short action.

When talking about the 6.5x47 Lapua remember that it uses a small rifle primer even though it has a standard case head diameter of .473".

Some say that it was based on the .22-250, but I'm not so sure about that. Lapua designed their 6.5x47 cartridge for European 300 Meter competition. The only real resemblence it has to the old 6x47 case is that they are both 47mm long. The old 6x47 cartridge was basically a .222 Remington Magnum necked up to 6mm, while the wildcat 6x47 Lapua round is made by necking the considerably larger 6.5x47 Lapua case down to 6mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When talking about the 6.5x47 Lapua remember that it uses a small rifle primer even though it has a standard case head diameter of .473".

Some say that it was based on the .22-250, but I'm not so sure about that. Lapua designed their 6.5x47 cartridge for European 300 Meter competition. The only real resemblence it has to the old 6x47 case is that they are both 47mm long. The old 6x47 cartridge was basically a .222 Remington Magnum necked up to 6mm, while the wildcat 6x47 Lapua round is made by necking the considerably larger 6.5x47 Lapua case down to 6mm. </div></div>

You are correct, sir. The case is based off the original .250-3000 AI shortened down a bit. The small primer was used instead of the large as Lapua claims it gives better accuracy. Much like the .220 Russian and 6mm PPC. Also, the 6.5 Grendel. It gives different burn properties to the powder as well. Most notably slowing down the burn rate. This gives the powder more time to burn and evens out pressure down the length of the barrel. IMO this gives more usefulness to a powder that fills a smaller case like that.

I have used the 6.5x47 case a good deal in 22,6, and 6.5 variations, but have never considered that the SR primer changed the burn rate. Could that explain the sometimes larger than life velocity some of us are getting using slow double based powders with compressed loads, but with comfortable pressures?

I would guess based on QL predictions that I am running pressures upwards of 65K psi and thought that the increased pressure was the total explanation why my 6x47 will run neck in neck with my 243AI.

I use the cci 450 primers in my 6x47 lapua and they work great i have virtually no virtical with this round and it shoots great. Im going to try a faster powder then the 4350 cause i cant load enough powder in it to reach max pressure with the 115 bergers.

When using the 6.5 you might be able to go to a slower powder like 4831 and use the 7.5 rem br primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the cci 450 primers in my 6x47 lapua and they work great i have virtually no virtical with this round and it shoots great. Im going to try a faster powder then the 4350 cause i cant load enough powder in it to reach max pressure with the 115 bergers.

When using the 6.5 you might be able to go to a slower powder like 4831 and use the 7.5 rem br primers.</div></div>

The relatively new Reloader 17 powder is ideal for situations where you just can't get enough 4350 in the case. Try it, you might be pleasantly surprised.

eddybo,

Yes, comfortable pressures. A good example of this was the 30-06 loaded with 4895 in WWII. Initial pressure ran around 52-55k PSI. By the time the bullet reached the exhaust/operating port it was down to 17k PSI. In the M1 Garand, no matter what, the pressure had to be close to 17k PSI. Anything less and it didn't always operate. Anything more and you could slam a bolt back and crack the receiver. This is why 4895 was chosen as the powder for the M1 Garand. The relative speed and pressure of the powder along with the bullet weight worked for that rifle.

As we apply this to a bolt action rifle, we are not nearly as tied down to one formula. We don't have to limit ourselves to 17k PSI down at the end of the barrel. Meaning if you took the same .30 cal, 152 gr. bullet and loaded it with the max of 4350 in a 24" barreled bolt action, you would get a lot more performance from it than you could with the M1 Garand. Initial ignition pressures reach the same 58-60K PSI. But, at the end of the barrel pressure is around 20-21k PSI. More pressure pushing the bullet = more velocity. The slower burning powder is producing more pressure at the end of it's burn cycle than the faster burning powder. The drawback of course is having enough barrel to facilitate the improvement.

The common myth also is that small rifle primers won't ignite large powder loads. Especially ball (double base) powders. They will, they just need to ignite the same amount of powder they do in a 5.56/.223 case. Once that happens the pressure and heat will do the rest. The difference will be the rate at which the powder burns. For powders made specifically for pressure like the ball powders it will also reduce somewhat, initial pressures. As the entire case ignites, however, pressures tend to build a lot more on the normal scale than one thinks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the cci 450 primers in my 6x47 lapua and they work great i have virtually no virtical with this round and it shoots great. Im going to try a faster powder then the 4350 cause i cant load enough powder in it to reach max pressure with the 115 bergers.

When using the 6.5 you might be able to go to a slower powder like 4831 and use the 7.5 rem br primers.</div></div>

The relatively new Reloader 17 powder is ideal for situations where you just can't get enough 4350 in the case. Try it, you might be pleasantly surprised. </div></div>

I will. I was going to try varget. But i will pick some of that up as well. Thanks.

R-17 is perfect for 6x47L with 105's and 115's.Just find that higher accuracy node is all you need to do.The next barrel will be throated extra long for AI mags.I'm hoping for 3150fps no prob.

Sure is an excellent case design.

Steve