• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the Razor G2 the best value in "MID" tier optics right now?

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
I've been told that they're $1700 or so street price now.

Are there any comparable scopes in this price range? I have one from years ago but I paid over $2k for it.

Is the NX8 4-32 a better scope for the same price?

I own 2 Razors, really like them.
Great warranty too.
Now to compare them with NF....
ck4uwMzTpIagROwHKO.gif

Yes at $1700 they are best bang for the buck IF you don't mind the weight. I think late last year I saw Bushnell XRS II for <$1500.

Reactions: 65x55guy
The vortex is a great scope for the money but is not a top tier optic. And comparing to true top tier optics is not a fair comparison.

Comes down to personal preference.
What I see through the Razor scope, I like over the NF.
Main thing is to be happy with your choice, it's money the dealer will take regardless and he won't be eager to give it back😳

Owned a Razor G2. Loved it. Good glass. Heavy as hell but that isn’t an issue depending on use.

Bought Minox 5-25 and like glass just a little more. Both are in the same general price bracket used. Lighter than Razor.

I think you are into the $3k range for the next true definable tier of glass.

Razor gen2 is long in the tooth, tech and Glass coating point of view. It is still a hugely capable scope punching above its weight per price. It's a heavy weight in mass also. There's better out there but the reticles are awesome, feel, zero stop, parallax, etc. It's all great. Probably why vortex have not updated in in years. It just works.

If you can find a second gen Tango6 you might like that they are priced much lower and are very comparable to the razor. I have not owned both or seen them side by side. However, many others here have stated that the Tango is very good and I've seen multiple reviews claiming the tango is the better glass. It might be worth it to consider it. I own one and really really like it.

I had a Cronus and Razor here they are very simular in characteristics. I have not had any other of the top LOW made optics but I wonder if the optical charictaristics wouldnt be the same across the board. 1 may be slightly better then the other but in broad strokes they will perform the same. Especially when comparing on colored optical charts. It shows details that are not readily noticeable with out a good eye for details.

In the last year I have purchased 3 4.5-27 Razors here on the Hide between $1400 & $1500. One had a slightly canted reticle, it was a 4 day door to door turnaround and the scope is perfect.

These 3 make I think 5 maybe 6 that I have owned. At the same time of owning these I have also owned several 5-25 PMII and ATACR scopes. I prefer the optics in the Razor over the Bender because all have performed slightly better in extreme low light. I love NF scopes but to me they are NOT $800-$1000 better. My only complaint with the Razor is it's a heavy pig, & yes I'm fat shaming it...

In the last year I have purchased 3 4.5-27 Razors here on the Hide between $1400 & $1500. One had a slightly canted reticle, it was a 4 day door to door turnaround and the scope is perfect.

These 3 make I think 5 maybe 6 that I have owned. At the same time of owning these I have also owned several 5-25 PMII and ATACR scopes. I prefer the optics in the Razor over the Bender because all have performed slightly better in extreme low light. I love NF scopes but to me they are NOT $800-$1000 better. My only complaint with the Razor is it's a heavy pig, & yes I'm fat shaming it...
I have never had a S&B but I will echo your observation on low light performance. The Razor is extremely good at dusk.
When you look at a color chart with Blue, Green, and Red Scopes that resolve Red well do better at dusk. Vortex resolved red very well. As good as the Minox in my case. But the Razor controls the light flare better when looking into the low sun light. (vs Minox LR)
On the other hand the Razor doesnt focus red colors on the same plain as blue and green so in the day time you have less contrast and less apparent resolution. This is not readily apparent when looking at black and white. You will need a different parallax setting to perfectly focus red vs blue and green.
Does it matter? I dont think so as in use the Razor is a very capable optic doing nothing wrong.

I’m surprised no one mentions Barska. I know the Razor can’t live up to the Barska, but I can get 10 top-tier Barskas for the price of one inferior Razor 2 or Minox LR.
Be aware that newbies that read this forum for info might not get the sarcasm or the joke. Barska is not a quality brand of optic.

Razor G2 may not be a top tier optic, but it's definitely a proven quality one. Minox ZP5 and LR are both quality as are Nightforce, Schmidt, Kahles, etc.

If your scope is 1/2 the price or less but claiming the same quality, you have to ask why.

Reactions: TheHorta and dski
Cronus BTR Gen2 is equal in quality, very very very similar scope.

I also have XTRIII 3-18x for significantly less. Besides illumination it matches up well.

Hi,

"Upper Tier" clearly has some different definitions to some of you guys.

Correct name for this thread would be "Mid Tier" at best, :)

Sincerely,
Theis
Very true, there definitely are better but I thought this was a “for the $$“ thread.

I’m looking at this tier as well, and I have access to military pricing. Anyway, I’m stuck trying to decide between the Burris xtr 3, Bushnell xrs 2, Athlon Cronus btr, razor hd gen 2, and the tract toric ELR. For me the razor is slightly the most expensive, comparable to the Burris, Bushnell and Cronus are similar in price at the lower end of the price scale, and the tract is in the middle.

I can afford whatever if the juice is worth the squeeze. However, I’m also pretty new to this game, and I don’t want to spend top tier money necessarily if it’s something that I don’t really get into. Just planning to shoot some prs style matches with an mpa pmr pro.

Anyway, curious to read what you decide.

Given that you can still find the Cronus for $1,100ish,I'd take that, and the $600 savings over the Vortex anyday.

Price equal, Vortex for sure. But the Cronus for 30% less?
Cronus anyday!

Reactions: kjmdrumz3
Be aware that newbies that read this forum for info might not get the sarcasm or the joke. Barska is not a quality brand of optic.

Razor G2 may not be a top tier optic, but it's definitely a proven quality one. Minox ZP5 and LR are both quality as are Nightforce, Schmidt, Kahles, etc.

If your scope is 1/2 the price or less but claiming the same quality, you have to ask why.
I think barska used to be good, just like tasco, before it was bought out

I’m looking at this tier as well, and I have access to military pricing. Anyway, I’m stuck trying to decide between the Burris xtr 3, Bushnell xrs 2, Athlon Cronus btr, razor hd gen 2, and the tract toric ELR. For me the razor is slightly the most expensive, comparable to the Burris, Bushnell and Cronus are similar in price at the lower end of the price scale, and the tract is in the middle.

I can afford whatever if the juice is worth the squeeze. However, I’m also pretty new to this game, and I don’t want to spend top tier money necessarily if it’s something that I don’t really get into. Just planning to shoot some prs style matches with an mpa pmr pro.

All of those included, anyone compare to a maven? I'm just looking to see if they're worth the hype, the binoculars seem to be

With Fed/Mil pricing look at the MK5. The only complaint I have with them is the Reticle selection but they are great scopes for the money.

Reactions: DJL2
With Fed/Mil pricing look at the MK5. The only complaint I have with them is the Reticle selection but they are great scopes for the money.
Ah yeah, I forgot to include the mk5. I am signed up with them but they’re all sold out. I also can’t decide which reticle or whether I would get illumination or not.

Ah yeah, I forgot to include the mk5. I am signed up with them but they’re all sold out. I also can’t decide which reticle or whether I would get illumination or not.
Looked again- the h59 is back in stock on the 5-25, but it’s about $160 more than I can get the razor with ebr7c reticle. Worth it?

Midway has the mk5, with a set of rings for $1999.
Not too bad

I had the same choice to make, and I went with the XTR3..bought it on the Hide for $1400 new in the box. I am not in love with it for some reason, might be the lack of a center dot but I shoot damn good with it so It will stay in the gun.

Are there any comparable scopes in this price range? I have one from years ago but I paid over $2k for it.

I’m shopping in the same tier. I’ve been surprised by the Razor gen 2 pricing I’m seeing. It seems like used prices here in the PX are basically the same as new prices. If I’ve Ive got to pay $1,700-$1,900 for a used Razor, it makes the Cronus look really nice, especially in light of favorable comparisons. Any idea why Cronus can be found used for a decent discount vs. new, while the Razors can not?

I’m shopping in the same tier. I’ve been surprised by the Razor gen 2 pricing I’m seeing. It seems like used prices here in the PX are basically the same as new prices. If I’ve Ive got to pay $1,700-$1,900 for a used Razor, it makes the Cronus look really nice, especially in light of favorable comparisons. Any idea why Cronus can be found used for a decent discount vs. new, while the Razors can not?
Cronus came out with the gen 2 so the btr went on sale. But if you look hard you can find a cronus pretty cheap. I think overall way better than razors but razors have more features and a bigger following i think thats why

Reactions: woodsmoke
Contact Scott at Liberty Optics because you may be surprised what a new razor might cost.

This is the 3rd "Best 2K optic" thread I've posted in - in the past month or so. Lots of info if you search - but I'll beat the dead horse with everyone... XTR3 is best value for me. NX8 is worth 1/2 of retail at best.

Reactions: bohica17
I've bought 3 Vortex Razors now.
Very happy with them.
"Girlie Men" may find them heavy, but they have functioned perfectly for me.
When talking about long range shooting, you normally don't carry the gun around in the woods, so weight doesn't matter as much, but you are limited in some classes, but most are still under that by a good amount I believe.

Given that you can still find the Cronus for $1,100ish,I'd take that, and the $600 savings over the Vortex anyday.

Price equal, Vortex for sure. But the Cronus for 30% less?
Cronus anyday!
You did get me thinking about this but I’ve been unable to find them for $1100 ish. The best I’ve seen is less than $200 difference from what I can get a razor for... then I think I’d just get the razor since I know the resale is there if I decide I want to change plans.

Talk to Scott at Liberty Optics and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the current price of the Gen II Razor 4.5-27. I do not think we'll be seeing a replacement this year even though they came out with the Gen III 1-10 last year, I could be wrong of course, but I think post COVID we should not be expecting much anytime soon.