• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is the reticle on your scope "jumping"?

tylerharrell

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2008
Florida
I bought a Shmidt and Bender PMII 3x12 with a 50mm objective lens that was assembled by Premier Reticles. On my scope the reticle jumps as I move throughout the magnification levels. Take a look at your own scopes to see if yours does the same thing.
While looking through your scope move through the magnifications levels, when you reach to the desired magnification level slowly back down and see if the reticle jumps. It is not uncommon for the reticle to jump when you back down from the highest magnification level. The Shcmidt and Bended representative stated this should not effect your group in any way but on my scope the reticle jumps at every magnification level and does effect my grouping. I called Shmidt and Bender and they are going to fix the problem free of charge.

Re: Is the reticle on your scope "jumping"?

That scope needa repair. I had a scope that did that, it is in a landfill somewhere.

Sounds like a defect.... my S&Bs zoom always smoothly up and down from max magnification back to min magnification.

We had/have a LOT of S&B scopes that do that on our M40A3's and Mk11's. Usually only happens when you're at 12x and back it off slightly.

I have heard that they do it at full magnification but this one was put together by Premier Reticles and does it on all magnifications.

I wonder why the Army and the MC use different SWS? What is the difference between the MK 11 and SR-25 and if the MK 11 is more closely related to the M110 has the MC been having as much problems with it as we have? The second thing is why does the Army use the long action in the M24 while you use the short? I wonder what the benefits of a long action on a .308 is? Where are you stationed? I have went to a few schools with some BN recon and Force recon dudes.

The benefit to a long action on the M24 is that they can be converted to .300 Winchester Magnum, which has been and is being done.

The Marine Corp builds the M40 because they can. Both the Army and the Marine Corps would have saved money to buy Accuracy Internationals and gotten rifles at least as good as the M24 and M40.

Lindy,
I think you are right on the Accuracy Internationals. We do use their stocks in one of our 300 win mags. I think it is called a MK 13 but I am not a 100% on it. It is a pretty sweet gun though especially with the suppressor on it, hardly any kick. It it uses a Rem action probably because it is less expensive. I heard someone in the pentagon had a great idea to do away with all bolt guns and go to gas guns at least in the Army. I don't know about the other branches.

Yes - the Mark 13 in its various incarnations is a 700 long action chambered in .300 Win Mag, with a special chambering, in an AI chassis system with a rail system for night vision devices ahead of the day optic. Some of them are suppressed.

What is special about the chambering? I only shot it a couple of times. I do not know to much about it. I did notice it was smoother with the suppressor. I guess it is because the bullet and all the gasses are exiting the gun further away from your body.