• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the Super Varmint the only way to get a 6.5 PRC hbar Tikka domestically?

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
I wanting a Tikka In 6.5 PRC. They have a few, lighter pencil barrel hunting models available, but the basic CTR can't seem to be had in the states. I can get the Super Varmint, but it's abt $400 over a CTR. It does come cerakoted, 0moa rail, nicer looking bolt, and what appears to be a upgraded stock, which is kind of moot since I'll be putting it in a KRG. Suppose I can always (maybe) sell the stock for a few bills. Sportsman's has the SV for $1,525ish. https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...kote-bolt-action-rifle-65-prc-237in/p/1777562

Any other options I'm not seeing, or is the SV the easiest path?

If you’re putting it in a KRG anyway why would you not just buy an origin, a prefit, and a triggertech for the same price and have a better action and better barrel?

If you’re putting it in a KRG anyway why would you not just buy an origin, a prefit, and a triggertech for the same price and have a better action and better barrel?
Eh, that's fair, though I'm more of a turn key.

Eh, that's fair, though I'm more of a turn key.

Then order order the action and prefit from Altus or Bugholes and they’ll put it together if screwing a barrel into an action and torquing it is an inconvenience.

Laziness is not a good reason to buy inferior shit.

Then order order the action and prefit from Altus or Bugholes and they’ll put it together if screwing a barrel into an action and torquing it is an inconvenience.

Laziness is not a good reason to buy inferior shit.
You're right, I probably need to do that. I need to get over the intimidation of a build I suppose. Be nice to order the barreled action assembled for sure.

While you're in a giving mood, what barrel specifically? No frills, 24in, m24 or Varmint contour. A lot of the terminologies and MFGs are still confusing to me.

Last edited:
You're right, I probably need to do that. I need to get over the intimidation of a build I suppose. Be nice to order the barreled action assembled for sure.

While you're in a giving mood, what barrel specifically? No frills, 24in, m24 or Varmint contour. A lot of the terminologies and MFGs are still confusing to me.

There’s nothing complicated about installing a shouldered prefit on an action.

Contour just depends on how much you want it to weigh. If you’re after something like the Tikka varmint contour a rem varmint is pretty close. The best deal on prefits however is a proof SS competition contour which is basically a truck axle. You can also find great deals on Origin prefits in the classifieds and I’d say they’re probably the most common probably due to the popularity of the action because of the price point.

If it’s just a target rifle and you won’t be toting it around much I’d probably just get one of the Proofs since you can get them for around $450-$500 which will save you some dough.

There’s nothing complicated about installing a shouldered prefit on an action.

Contour just depends on how much you want it to weigh. If you’re after something like the Tikka varmint contour a rem varmint is pretty close. The best deal on prefits however is a proof SS competition contour which is basically a truck axle. You can also find great deals on Origin prefits in the classifieds and I’d say they’re probably the most common probably due to the popularity of the action because of the price point.

If it’s just a target rifle and you won’t be toting it around much I’d probably just get one of the Proofs since you can get them for around $450-$500 which will save you some dough.
Glad you chimed in. I can't justify a factory rifle over your recommendations.

Put myself in line for one of these.