• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 PST-416F1-M decent for a 200-300 yd AR? Edit: Mount?

jrhtx

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2006
Houston, TX
These are on sale at Euro Optics
https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-ffp-rifle-scope-ebr-1-mrad-pst-416f1-m.aspx

Finishing a build for a hog/deer AR for a friend and he needs a scope. Will be used for 100-200 realistically, 300 max, possible low light (AM/PM).

Is this worth the dollars??
Thanks

Added:
What about a mount? Something QD if he decides to go thermal/NV also?
Was looking at this?

Last edited:
Thanks
I added a question about a mount. Mine are all LaRue, what about the BoBro?

I have a pst 6-24. It has had Weaver tactical rings on it forever and gets swapped between multiple rifles 300win, 270,AR etc. No issues with that so far. any decent mount should suffice.

I had the Viper PST Gen2 3-15 that MidwayUSA had onsale for $599...the ones with the EBR-2C MRAD Reticles they had a blow out sale on...I had it at Thunder Valley this past weekend...and it was easy hitting steel out at 1000 and beyond. The tracking was dead nuts...but it helps when you are only dialing 6.2mils at 1k.

It is plenty scope to get the job done. I never missed one shot where I thought I needed more power on the scope. I even dialed the mag down for the 600 and in shots. The only think I need a 25+ power scope for...is doing paperwork at 100 yards....make those tiny little groups. Other than that...if you got good data with the Viper...point, pull, bang.

If you are talking 200/300 , I would go 2.5x10 with the largest objective . You don't need more X at those ranges and you give of speen and light gathering.

At 2-300 you can get away with a #4reticle and no turrets, or even a red dot. Heck open sights, but the 4-16 will be a good scope to get your feet wet into or shooting and the systems involved.

Reactions: TACC
The glass quality in those things blow dick for low light hunting. Add to that its a FFP that the reticle is going to get thin on low mag where you'll mostly be using it for hunting.

A hunting scope is a much better choice for a hunting rifle. For the same price he can get into a no frills 3-9, 2.5-10, 3-12, etc that will give him what he needs and have far better glass quality.

Here's one good option for just over $400. You may also want to call and see if there's any sales specials coming up on a 2-10 VX5HD. They have phenomenal glass.

I am looking for a scope for the same purpose and have decided that an illuminated reticle is the way to go if FFP. In low light situations I find my FFP reticles can be hard to see.

The glass quality in those things blow dick for low light hunting. Add to that its a FFP that the reticle is going to get thin on low mag where you'll mostly be using it for hunting.

A hunting scope is a much better choice for a hunting rifle. For the same price he can get into a no frills 3-9, 2.5-10, 3-12, etc that will give him what he needs and have far better glass quality.

Here's one good option for just over $400. You may also want to call and see if there's any sales specials coming up on a 2-10 VX5HD. They have phenomenal glass.

This is probably the dumbest post i've read yet. I have a 4-16 and 6-24 FFP. And you know what.... I've never had an issue hunting with them under 300 yards... Low light or midday.

The 24x glass goes to shit anything over probably 15x... But you dont need that much mag for 300 yards. AND EVEN if the scope is zoomed all the way out (Which the IQ isnt shit then) you CAN still shoot an animal.. Its not hard to see where the reticle is. Hell these even have Illumination. Its not hard to tell if the crosshairs are over a deer, even in lowlight, with or without illumination.

Now, IS the scope you (OP) mentioned the very best scope in its price/class. I dunno. Will it do what you are asking... Yes, Yes it will.

Last edited:
Reactions: TACC and 10ring'r
I don't think I'd get one for a hunting rifle, even a range gun I'd rather spend a bit more and get a Gen 2 Viper or something else.

If the scope is going on a dedicated hunting rifle that's mostly used under 300yards, I'd look else where.
The Leupold VX5 2-10 mentioned above is a great scope for a hunting rifle, either the firedot duplex or windplex depending on what your intended use is.

I agree , PST gen 1 will work fine

Pst Gen 2 will work better

I took me 3-15 x 44 pst Gen 2 out to 1000 with ease.

Better glass and a hard zero stop .