• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is The Win. 243, The Best Sniper Round Invented?

seagiant

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2008
Hi,
Just wondering where the Win. 243 stacks up as a Sniper Round?

I know a lot of guys use it as a Yote Gun, and make some pretty amazing shots!

Just seeing what people think?

No,

The problem with the 243 is, or has been the twist rate, it's usually not for Long Range shooting

The 243 is just a 6mm, like every other 6mm we shoot, however if you look, many companies twist it around 14, vs the 7-8 we use to shoot competition

The best sniper round ever made was the 338

Hi,
Thanks, I was seeing where guys are shooting the 243 to 1K, but no doubt with custom barrels and heavy bullets!

My TIKKA 243, with a 1:8 BRUX Barrel!

My problem is my Gun Range only goes to 200 yds.!
g2-jpg.520175.jpg

No,

The problem with the 243 is, or has been the twist rate, it's usually not for Long Range shooting

The 243 is just a 6mm, like every other 6mm we shoot, however if you look, many companies twist it around 14, vs the 7-8 we use to shoot competition

The best sniper round ever made was the 338
As long as it’s a 250 gr bullet and not the 300, maybe even the 285

Reactions: Lowlight
I think this thread came up a few months ago.

As LL said… no.

That said, in the 1980’s, the SAS was using .243’s and .22-250 as their ‘close in’ or urban sniper round. IIRC they used Tikka target rifles. The small light rounds were to reduce over penetration and ricochet potential. So it’s one of those “never say never” things.

But the technology has long surpassed those rounds as the best choice.

Though small, fast rounds for police (average engagement range is under 100 yards) in dense urban areas or places like trailer parks has merit. Generally budgets and training obviate having a wide array of choices when it comes to specialty rifles. You don’t show up with a golf bag….

Cheers,

Sirhr

Hi,
LOL!

The Old Craftsman, is on it's last legs, I'm afraid!

I think this thread came up a few months ago.

As LL said… no.

That said, in the 1980’s, the SAS was using .243’s and .22-250 as their ‘close in’ or urban sniper round. IIRC they used Tikka target rifles. The small light rounds were to reduce over penetration and ricochet potential. So it’s one of those “never say never” things.

But the technology has long surpassed those rounds as the best choice.

Though small, fast rounds for police (average engagement range is under 100 yards) in dense urban areas or places like trailer parks has merit. Generally budgets and training obviate having a wide array of choices when it comes to specialty rifles. You don’t show up with a golf bag….

Cheers,

Sirhr
This was even true into the early 90's / 1992 especially in the frame of custom SAKOs in .22-50. it all changed when they standardisd the SF ammo list (now long gone) to those calibers used by UK MOD wide, mainly due to the L96 being adopted with the addition of the SF only AI CTSR - Counter Terrorisrt Sniper Rifle - which was an AI with switch barrels - the favorite been a fully suppressed .308 with Lapua Factory 200gn Sub Sonic ammo with the blue dyed head stamp

If you look at the most prevleant caliber adopted by Mil and LEA (since say 1975 to current day) world wide the 7.62x51 or .308 is the most successfull - maybe not the most effective - round used by "snipers" and marksman alike

The 6mm, 6.5mm, .300 and .338 magnums and other variant are no doubt better in terms of external ballistics and in another 10 years time I'll answer the same question with 6.5cm or 300NM / 338NM but for now it's. STILL .308 / 7.62

However,, to The OP .243win is still a great round, Frank Gardner of GAP ran it in the early days

So I'd suggest it's still to this day viable and works every hunting season

Hi,
Thanks, I read that article way back when and was surprised when he was asked...

Why he did not use the AI Design!

Admittedly, I do not have the AI, but, I do have a Match Chamber, which will shoot Factory no problem, even though I do reload!
oooo2.jpg

Reactions: tk427
However,, to The OP .243win is still a great round, Frank Gardner of GAP ran it in the early days

So I'd suggest it's still to this day viable and works every hunting season

That was the article that convinced me to go 243W and eventually 243AI.

It’s been a workhorse in my stable from varmints to game animals. If it’s not broke…

Last edited:
You should do us a favor and clean up that mess. Close those toolbox drawers while your at it. OK?
and slide that steiner forward a bit in those rings. This way when you need to shoot it..... you won't get a black eye. You have........ haven't you?