• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is there a 3-30 ffp do everything scope with lots of fov?

russkim04

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2019
What's your take? Looking for 30ft field of view for those quick deer shots and high magnifications for long range.... is there such a critter?

What's your take? Looking for 30ft field of view for those quick deer shots and high magnifications for long range.... is there such a critter?

What exactly are you calling 'long range'?

I'll take a 20x power ZCO with a FOV of 28 feet at 100 yards on 4 power....and then stretch that thing out to a 36" target at 2000 yards and not have any problems....except wind call and me...but besides me issues....the scope won't have any problems hitting steel out that far.

My eyes are not what they were. If you didn't catch it the first time, in looking for 3-30 ffp or close to it

My eyes are not what they were. If you didn't catch it the first time, in looking for 3-30 ffp or close to it

What’s your budget for this scope? Just like every other friggin newb asking “what scope” type questions, you leave out the most important piece of information.

That will go a long way to getting you viable recommendations but my guess is that anything resembling what you’re asking for (that’s worth owning) is going to cost big money.

That said I’d look into the Schmidt Bender 3-27x56 HP or some of March’s scopes. You could always go balls to the wall and get the Hensoldt 3.5-26x56 but stop by the bank first (to rob it) because that fucker isn’t cheap.

Schmidt Bender 3-27

Since were talking hunting, low end is more important. There isn’t a shot you can’t make at 27x that you can make at 30x.

Reticle choice here is crucial since you’re hunting. You’re going to have to sacrifice at low end or high end. Since hunting is primary objective, make sure it’s thicker.

Last edited:
What’s your budget for this scope? Just like every other friggin newb asking “what scope” type questions, you leave out the most important piece of information.

That will go a long way to getting you viable recommendations but my guess is that anything resembling what you’re asking for (that’s worth owning) is going to cost big money.

That said I’d look into the Schmidt Bender 3-27x56 HP or some of March’s scopes. You could always go balls to the wall and get the Hensoldt 3.5-26x56 but stop by the bank first (to rob it) because that fucker isn’t cheap.
You don't have $8k for that Hensoldt ZF and ERA TAC mount?

Wtf. Stop being poor.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣

I'd say the new March 4-28 highmaster with its wide angle eyepiece fits your bill? It's not yet available but should be soon. Theres a thread on here with photos and evaluation of it.

I would also suggest looking at this one.

As has already been said here, the new March-FX 4.5-28X52 will fit your requirements pretty well. It has the new wide angle eyepiece that increases the FOV by 25% over a regular eyepiece. For hunting I would suggest the new FML-LDK reticle.

It's discussed here.

Here is a quick picture showing the difference in FOV between a normal eyepiece and the wide angle eyepiece.
FOVCompared.jpg

As has already been said here, the new March-FX 4.5-28X52 will fit your requirements pretty well. It has the new wide angle eyepiece that increases the FOV by 25%.

That’s very impressive! I wonder how long before other manufacturers follow them with this sort of thing...

The nightforce nx8 4-32 has a hell of a FOV and excellent glass. IMO it's the best scope at it's price. It fits your needs quite well. Or as others have mentioned, if your willing, get a ZCO 4-20. Chasing magnification isn't always the best route. You should want excellent glass. A high end mid power scope will do all jobs better then a budget high power scope. Many people feel they need more magnification because in their experience, extra mag has helped them because low quality glass is actually the problem.

russkim04, to put it simply - nobody makes a 3-30 FFP scope, the closest is HK Dave's recommendation of the Schmidt 3-27x56, it is a 9x FFP that does very well for what it is. You mentioned only needing about 30' FOV which you do not need 3x for, in fact, the March 4.5-28x52 will also get you very close to 30' at 4.5x because of it's wide angle eyepiece as Denys mentioned. The ZCO ZC420 gets 28' at 4x but doesn't quite get the full magnification you say you are wanting but the resolution at 20x is superb. Reading above when questioned about why you feel you need so much magnification you mention your eyes are not what they used to be and I would recommend you look at some quality alpha glass like Schmidt, Tangent Theta, ZCO, Minox ZP5 and March because as others have mentioned - magnification can only get you so far and when shooting long range you have to deal with atmospherics and the better glass tends to do better with mirage at distance.

What is the OP hunting that requires 30X magnification? Chipmunks at 1200 yards?

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house? If so, why? Is your house on fire?

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house? If so, why? Is your house on fire?

You don’t need 30x unless you are needing to PID at a really fine level of detail on targets prior to engagements. For hunting and target shooting to 1200 yards, 15-16x or so is sufficient assuming your glass is good and you’re not blind as a bat. I’d suggest you look at quality glass (NF, S&B, March, Minox, etc). A 5-20 ultrashort is perfect for your application; the ATACR 4-16 is also very good, especially for the money. Others mentioned March and they also have a good reputation. If you don’t want to spend that kind of money, the Leupold Mk5/6 or Leupold VX6 may also work.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I had the March 8x80 because I thought I needed high magnification starting out also. the highest magnification I got now is 55 and I rarely use it. And its definitely not a hunting scope. The nightforce nx8 sounds like it comes close to your needs, if your dead set on a 30 magnification

Not necessary, especially when looking at such a huge erector, there are compromises that must be made with each scope design, and huge erector scopes have much more to overcome, this is why you can find 4x erector scopes that are simply phenomenal and some 5x designs are superb but once you get above that you find many scopes struggle to have forgiving eyebox, forgiving DOF and forgiving parallax along with superb resolution. If you want to deal with scopes that are finicky in these areas then by all means look at cheap high erector scopes just so you can have your high magnification at the top end, but for me I'd rather not compromise in those areas and getter a scope that performs better optically at lower magnification. You mentioned having an NX8 4-32 that you really like, I would highly recommend you get your hands on a Minox ZP5 5-25, TT525 or ZCO 527 and compare those scopes with your ATACR, you will see a world of difference and realize that the 32x of the NX8 doesn't make up for the optical quality of these other scopes at 25x (factoring in eyebox, DOF, parallax and resolution). One other thing, make sure you setup the diopter properly for your eyes on all the scopes, a poorly setup diopter even on a TT can make a difference (just ask hk dave). If you can't tell the difference between your NX8 and these other scopes, then keep the NX8 and don't look back, simple as that.

I have a XTR3 I need to get rid of cheap. Last I checked it has better FOV than all the scopes above other than maybe the March? but the march is $4k the Burris is $1500.

GL!!
DT