• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a "best bullet" for AR10/308?

MMAJunkie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I finally got an AR-10 and splurged for a nice one. Mega Ma-Ten billet upper and lower, match 18" barrel, black rain BCG etc. I put a Leupold Mark 6 1-6X scope on it. With that optic I am not intending it to be a long range sniper rifle rather more of a general duty piece that I can have fun at the range with and if needed it could be called up for defense/SHTF situations as well. As a reloader with a pile of nice once fired hornady match brass I am attempting to develop a good load for it. I want to load up 500-1000 ultimately but I don't want to spend 5 years playing with different bullets. I just want a good all round bullet in the 165-180 range that is known to feed well, have good accuracy out to maybe 300 yards max and be suitable for defense/hunting say a hog or deer if needed.

I have been using the 165 Sierra Gameking with good results but it is pretty pricey compared to some of the others. Should I just stick to it? Or is there something better? Also can I even use lead or plastic tipped bullets in an AR10? Since I am new to this platform I just don't know what is proper. I spent the last 30 years shooting and loading for bolt guns.

Another vote for the AMAX. The 178's shoot awesome in my 20" .308 AR.
The 175 Sierras are lasers as well.

I've pushed 168 amax to 1000 meters, amazing bullet and very accurate. I used the 178s in a Bolt gun with similar results but the semi autos seem to love 168s.

All around bullets are hard to come by. I would say a 168 out to 800y. 178 would be better obviously for further. 175 Bergers or SMK is awfully nice too.

Op if your intent is shorter shots and hunting. I would say look to a Nosler Partition 180gr (Hammer), it has a secant ogive. Which IMHO makes it more forgiving out of a semi-auto. I used some factory Federal premium with 180 partitions last year and shot sub MOA all day to about 3-400. The wind really effects them a lot though.

I finally got an AR-10 and splurged for a nice one. Mega Ma-Ten billet upper and lower, match 18" barrel, black rain BCG etc. I put a Leupold Mark 6 1-6X scope on it. With that optic I am not intending it to be a long range sniper rifle rather more of a general duty piece that I can have fun at the range with and if needed it could be called up for defense/SHTF situations as well. As a reloader with a pile of nice once fired hornady match brass I am attempting to develop a good load for it. I want to load up 500-1000 ultimately but I don't want to spend 5 years playing with different bullets. I just want a good all round bullet in the 165-180 range that is known to feed well, have good accuracy out to maybe 300 yards max and be suitable for defense/hunting say a hog or deer if needed.

I have been using the 165 Sierra Gameking with good results but it is pretty pricey compared to some of the others. Should I just stick to it? Or is there something better? Also can I even use lead or plastic tipped bullets in an AR10? Since I am new to this platform I just don't know what is proper. I spent the last 30 years shooting and loading for bolt guns.

The 168SMK is tuff too beat for a do all or most bullet, many have said the 168 A-Max is a good bullet I've used them in M1/m1a with good results. Don't overlook the Nosler CC in 168 there every bit as good as the SMK at a lower price. For a even lower price on the Nosler CC is there factory seconds.

Maybe 168 A MAX
What twist is that bad boy?

Looks like the popular opinion is a68 Amax. I already use the 178 version in a bolt Savage with a brux barrel that shoots great. The Nosler hammer looks nice but it is really pricey and sold by the 50s instead of 100 box.

The barrel is a Shilen but I need to double check the twist. But I seem to recall 1-10"

Looks like the popular opinion is a68 Amax. I already use the 178 version in a bolt Savage with a brux barrel that shoots great. The Nosler hammer looks nice but it is really pricey and sold by the 50s instead of 100 box.

The barrel is a Shilen but I need to double check the twist. But I seem to recall 1-10"
That will work all the way to 208 A MAX
Stay with 168 A-MAX..... perfect ! Delete 208s

Last edited:
I shoot mainly 3 different bullets out of my 308 gas guns. Hornady 150 gr fmj-bt, hornady 168 BTHP and the sierra match king 175. I use the 150 for general plinking, coyotes, varmints, the 168 for paperwork out to 600 and the 175 for windy days on the 600+ course.

If anyone finds 168 amax in stock post a link. Midway and Midsoutshooterssupply are both out as is my local place

Another option is the 175 Berger OTM. It will work great for deer and hogs. It is the only 308 bullet I use, semi or bolt.

It is not about the best bullet , it is a combo of bullet & powder that make the gun work. One bullet does not work with all powders just as one powder does not work with all bullets. If the price of each trigger pull is your goal, pick a bullet & try different powders.

I don't know if there is a best bullet but in Factory Ammo for me ASYM 168gr and 175gr, Southwest Ammo 175gr premium, Buffalo Bore 175gr sniper ammo, and FGGM 168gr are the most accurate out of my JP LRP-07. Again each rifle is different and you have to try out a variety of brands and grains to find out which bullet works best in YOUR rifle. Of course handloading is the ultimate in Accuracy.

AMAX - weight depends on your twist. 155 loaded hot are truly devastating and on another end of spectrum 178s do well on big game and fly far in the wind. Although 155 properly laded do well at 1000 yards out of my Palama gun.

In my experience 155 do better on human size target - they expand better. I actually had failure to fragment with 178 on wild boar.

If your twist is 1-10 like you claim 155 might be too light and you might be better served by 168s

in stock, 250ct 168 amax for a good price Hornady A-Max Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 168 Grain Boat Tail

promo codes:
$15 off $75 may1415
$30 off $150 may1430
$45 off $225 may1445

You're welcome!
My Buddy Commercial. - YouTube

I don't usually buy from Midway because my ass always hurts after shipping is applied to the order. But I took advantage of this deal and got 500 of the 168 AMAX and some other stuff. Thanks for the heads up!
Now that's a fact! They've lost the sale of a great many of my Cart items due to it!

nice!

my local shop just got a bunch of AMAX 168's in so I was able to use up some gift cards and hooked up with 300pcs!

I don't usually buy from Midway because my ass always hurts after shipping is applied to the order. But I took advantage of this deal and got 500 of the 168 AMAX and some other stuff. Thanks for the heads up!

You really can't go wrong with the 168 SMK for an all around projectile. It is loaded in the 168 FGMM which is the industry standard for .308 win. Also the 175 SMK which is loaded for the military snipers 118LR ammo. It comes down to preference but anywhere from 168-178gr will do. Granted that heavier you go the more recoil you will have.