• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is there a better choice than the Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm?

MMAJunkie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Though I spent most of my shooting life shooting mid grade glass I have been freeing up some cash lately to climb the ladder. I now have several Bushnell Tactical 3.5x21 GD2s as well as a SWRA SSHD and one Nightforce 5x22x56 MLR Mil mil scope. But even though I have not cracked the $2000 barrier yet for a purchase I always look at the higher end stuff such as S&B, Khales, Zeiss, Swarowski, etc. Recently I found a local dealer with the new Mark 8 3.5-25X scope and to me it seems to have most everything I am looking for. At a retail of over $4000 I guess it should but since I am still inexperienced in this strata I am not sure what all I should be looking at. I know the Mark 8 can be had for well under that price so my questions are not related to price but rather for general info on the scope.

If there is something significantly better in the $3000 range what do you think it is and why? Even compared to the high end Zeiss and Swarowski etc the Leupold had great glass and its feature set seems pretty nice too. I still have not 100% decided to spend this kind of cash on optics but if I do is this the one?

I would vote; Kahles, S&B, NF Beast if it does what it is intended to. I could never bring myself to buy a Leupold for more than $1600 or so.

I have seen Schmidt Bender 5-25's in the low $3k range, that's probably the better option unless you can get the leupold at the mil prices.

I know guys will bash Lupy but I have had a CQBSS for a while and several MK4's. I had my heart set on the MK8 3.5-25 but am about to get another MK4 M5 H58 in trade! I might run it and see if I really want the MK8. I really like the fact they are made in America!! Nothing against S&B. I'd love the new one but on my LE salary I can't swing 7K+!!!

Honestly I would hunt for a used Kahles K624i. I have seen them go for sub $2500 which is a bargain!

Plenty of 5-25x56 S&B scopes running for $2900 or so used like new.

Might want to check out the March 3-24x52 and 5-40x56, they are incredibly versatile with that broad of a mag range. All reports I've read have mentioned that the turrets were some of the best on the market and has the glass to match.

March 3-24x42, 5-40x56 or the new 3-24x52 due to come in April would be my answer to your question as well.