• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a cheap Spotter that will allow you to clearly see .22 holes at 100 yards?

minn_wild1

Pirate
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I just want glass with clarity. Will only be used for a 100 yard zero range. ~$250. I know that is a low number.

Better off to add the $250 to upgrade your scope. A decent 30 power scope will let you see impacts at 100yds if it's not a black target in poor conditions. You also don't have to buy a spotting scope mount and pack it all back and forth to the range.

oh, and i attached a phone to use the camera, so i can zoom in closer.
the eye relief for this scope is short, so a little annoying using it normally.

this is looking through the scope above with my samsung phone camera at 426 yards, on a crappy tripod.
the view is not round because the phone is zoomed in to fill the screen.

You can go used.

My 1955 Bosch and Lomb Balscope SR, is good enough to see clear edge detail on the moon.

Their clarity and quality are beyond most made today.

You can grab them off eBay for around $200.

3336DB2A-15B6-4F12-A7EB-D8894F086A36.jpeg

Last edited:
X2 on used if you're on a budget. I tried a couple cheapies as I mostly shoot .22WMR out to 150m so didn't figure I needed to spend big money...wrong...at 150mm .22 holes were a blur..and if in the white of the target invisible.
Last year picked up used Baush & Lomb Elite (same as this Bushnell https://www.bushnelloptics.com/bushnell-spotting-scopes-elite-781548p.html) which new was about $1000. Couldn't be happier...and until 2010 or so it was used by Marine snipers.

Reactions: minn_wild1
Konuspot is really good at that price point. I've owned one and it had excellent resolution at 100 yards. Have since moved on to high end glass but would have no qualms recommending it to someone on a budget.

Reactions: minn_wild1
Put your targets on white foam board. Makes holes a lot easier to see cause there is shadow for contrast. In fact, easier to see than the shoot-n-see at 300 yards.

For spotter, definitely buy used. I wasn't impressed with the low end scopes at all. I started as inexpensive as I could, and it was frustrating using less expensive glass.

I like the Bushnell Legend T for a hundred or so more than your budget.

A decent 25x scope will make easy work of seeing .22 holes at 100 yards.

You can go used.

My 1955 Bosch and Lomb Balscope SR, is good enough to see clear edge detail on the moon.

Their clarity and quality are beyond most made today.

You can grab them off eBay for around $200.

View attachment 7204899
That is a fantastic scope.

I use several old Kowa made Bushnell Spacemasters. IIRC, I paid $120 for my most expensive one. Either of those scopes would cost a $1000 to produce to the same level of quality today.

Most of the shooters on here wouldn't be caught dead using one.

Reactions: Corprin and TACC
I made a deal with rcmigpilot for his leupold SX-1Ventana 2. From the few reviews i was able to find and his word, it should fit the bill.
DSCN8713.JPG

This is where i will be using it.

Try upping your budget and look for a decent used one. The Kowas I heard are good.