• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a cheaper, DIY form of Lead-B-Gone? Need to wipe off a lot of guns

gigabels

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2022
USA
Putting my gun safe in my room so I wanna be more vigilant about lead before bringing them in.

I can promise you that lead from contact with your gun won’t be a problem. Especially if you are using jacketed projectile and not shooting them indoors. Just don’t try casting your own projectiles inside and you’ll be fine.
I hope so. I use suppressors a lot and sometimes I have shot indoors. I have a feeling you'll say it still doesn't matter but just saying for posterity.

I use the D lead wipes and a big tub of them lasts a long damn time. As far as a cheaper option, I don’t know, but I do know that $.25 cents worth of wipes per range trip is cheap.

Reactions: lash
I use this stuff. Wear rubber gloves because it's messy but it works. I use to use those bronze meshed discs with special lead removing tool but Blue Wonder is better. Like I said it's messy but cleans up well. I was skeptical when I first tried it but found out quickly that it does what it says it will do. Just follow the directions.

Can anyone explain to me how Lead B Gone is any different than regular hand wipes? Lead is a solid particulate like dirt or any other thing you might get on your hands. Regular hand wipes are meant to remove this and usually have some form of sanitizer on them. Am I missing something?

Can anyone explain to me how Lead B Gone is any different than regular hand wipes? Lead is a solid particulate like dirt or any other thing you might get on your hands. Regular hand wipes are meant to remove this and usually have some form of sanitizer on them. Am I missing something?
I am also curious.

^ I may be wrong, but IIRC was several years ago that the primary active ingredient that makes D-Lead, Lead B Gone, and similar products was they put vitamin C in them because lead and a lot of the other harmful substances in this hobby bond well with vitamin C. I don't think it's as simple as grinding up a vitamin C tablet into a bottle of hand soap or sprinkling some on a wetwipe though.

Used to work at a battery factory where we used d lead soap and wipes religiously. They work. Blood tests prove it.