• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a difference between American Eagle and Federal Champion HV?

30cal_Fun

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Netherlands
As the title states; is there a difference between American Eagle and Federal Champion HV?

Federal Premium Ammunition - Rimfire
Federal Premium Ammunition - Rimfire

Both 1240 fps, both LRN bullet, same specs all around.
What I understand from Federal's website is that the American Eagle line is a "budget" line and Champion more of a premium line, but other than that I can't find a difference.

A gunstore I will be going to has them for the exact same price, so I am wondering which one is better quality.

Has anyone tried them both and seen a noticeable difference in performance?

Would you pick the American Eagle or the Federal Champion HV?

I've only shot the Federal 510B and have found it to be good ammo from 25 and 50 yards in every rifle I've tried it in, but it falls short in accuracy beyond that.

Thanks Joe,

I'm primarily interested in the reliability of these ammo types, since my rifle shoots almost anything well.

Anyone else care to comment on the reliability of EA vs FC?

I shot a lot of American Eagle. I had a pistol that preferred it over the lower end match ammo for accuracy.

LOTS of failures to fire. Turn the case and try again, it would go bang. It seemed that the primer compound was not evenly distributed.

I was shooting in a bullseye league and would get at least 1 or two alibis per match.

Thanks Joe,

I'm primarily interested in the reliability of these ammo types, since my rifle shoots almost anything well.

Anyone else care to comment on the reliability of EA vs FC?

I've got about 250 rounds (of the Federal 510B) left from a case of 5000 I bought several years ago before the .22lr ammo shortage hit us here in the States. I have to say that in all those rounds I've fired of this ammo I've had maybe 2 or 3 ftf, (but I stuck them back in the rifle and they fired). I can't really speak for their quality now as I don't know if corners have been cut to try and keep up with the supply in demand?

Thanks for your input guys!

Form what I have heard and read so far the Champion seems to be a bit more reliable overall.