• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is there a difference in a Nightforce and a Schmidt & Bender???

jl3216

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
I have several NF scopes on some of my long range rifles, used to think they were the best. Now I'm wondering if I'm missing something by not have a US Optics, Schmidt & Bender, Premier, etc.

Is there really a difference?? Are you paying for the name??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jesse

The SB and Premier glass has slightly better contrast and clarity but it's a very thin margin; however, I would trust the ruggedness of a NF over the aforementioned.

The USO, in my opinion, can only compete with NightForce in the reliability department because both USO and NightForce are solid.

Jesse-

You need to figure out if you want a First Focal Plane (FFP) scope or a Second Focal Plane (SFP). If SFP, you are out of luck with Premier, S&B, and USO as they are only FFP (maybe USO will do a custom SFP for you, I don't know). Now if you want FFP, NF only has a limited number of scopes, the 3-15x F-1 and the 5-25 BEAST. The BEAST is at the same price point as the others. You can get an F-1 at something of a discount, although USO and Premier have excellent offerings in that price range ($2000), in the 1.8-10x USO and the 3-15x Light Tactical (LT) Premier.

You also should do a serious study of the reticle choices each manufacturer offers. Reticle choice is highly personal preference and only you can answer what is the best one for you. Personally, I like having a few numbers on there, but not too many, so I can quickly find holds. Others want none, or more. Do you want mil-dots or simply lines? Christmas tree design? MIL or MOA or IPHY? Do you want a floating center dot, an open center or a normal cross hair? Etc, etc, etc.

The differences were more clear up until a few years ago. NF scopes have become more like S&B, with FFP versions, zero stops and better turrets. But I personally don't believe they're quite there yet on the optical side, but they are getting close. That said, consider that S&B has been there for well over 20 years...

Schmidt & Bender, if you buy the right one, IS better glass than the Nightforce, and that should be evident when you compare price. Its certainly evident when you compare the view between them.

How it will compare to the new NF BEAST no-one yet knows.

I have NO idea where killshot got the idea that NF is more rugged than S&B. S&B is the issue scope to the British Army and it the chosen scope for the new US Armed Forces PSR platform. They do not break easily.

In my experience there is no comparion between the NXS and PMII with regards to optics.
I've only looked through three NXS's, but every one of them has been like looking through a Falcon Menace when compared to the PMII.
However, I've seen two PMII's go down (both 5-25)'s, and both had the same malfunction. The zoomlever got stuck at 5x and would not budge.
Never heard of an NXS go down.

I wouldn't feel bad about owning an NXS (especially an FFP version) all in all.

i would advise getting behind them and seeing for yourself. you paying for far more than a name, there is a point of diminishing returns as with anything, but the added performance is worth it.

Jesse-

You need to figure out if you want a First Focal Plane (FFP) scope or a Second Focal Plane (SFP). If SFP, you are out of luck with Premier, S&B, and USO as they are only FFP (maybe USO will do a custom SFP for you, I don't know). Now if you want FFP, NF only has a limited number of scopes, the 3-15x F-1 and the 5-25 BEAST. The BEAST is at the same price point as the others. You can get an F-1 at something of a discount, although USO and Premier have excellent offerings in that price range ($2000), in the 1.8-10x USO and the 3-15x Light Tactical (LT) Premier.

You also should do a serious study of the reticle choices each manufacturer offers. Reticle choice is highly personal preference and only you can answer what is the best one for you. Personally, I like having a few numbers on there, but not too many, so I can quickly find holds. Others want none, or more. Do you want mil-dots or simply lines? Christmas tree design? MIL or MOA or IPHY? Do you want a floating center dot, an open center or a normal cross hair? Etc, etc, etc.

SB offers several scopes, including the 5-25x56 in 2nd focal.

Schmidt & Bender, if you buy the right one, IS better glass than the Nightforce, and that should be evident when you compare price. Its certainly evident when you compare the view between them.

How it will compare to the new NF BEAST no-one yet knows.

I have NO idea where killshot got the idea that NF is more rugged than S&B. S&B is the issue scope to the British Army and it the chosen scope for the new US Armed Forces PSR platform. They do not break easily.

Ummm...ask around and you'll find out for yourself; in this forum, no less. Simply because the British army uses it that doesn't mean it's impervious to failure. Additionally, you should look through the ATACR and compare it to the SB because the difference is minimal.

Both are excellent brands, FFP vs: SFP, Reticle Design, Cost, etc are all factors that weigh in.

Always best to look through them, check out the Turret design, Plan on which reticle will meet your needs, then get the scope that works for you.

There are some really great choices from both manufacturers.

i think everybody here is missing the point. if you have a night force scope, your cool factor automatically goes higher than with other scopes. unless its a heinzholdt, which can increase your cool factor just by being near.

night eagle

Jesse-

That's a great summary.

Is there a difference between a $300 hooker and a $500 hooker? Is the end result usually the same?