• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a downside to loading long?

Will Fennell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Guys,
I'm shooting a TRG22. One thing a bit different with a TRG is that the mag is LONG front to back, like 3". So, I can load my 308 reload out long. Right now I'm playing with Hornady 178 BTHP's( which is a long bullet) and the OAL of that round, if I want to touch the lands is 2.952". So, even .020" off the lands doesn't leave much of the bullet in the neck of the case, which does give me more case capacity, but it doesn't seem to give me much support for the bullet in the case?

Any insight as to which way to go?

Re: Is there a downside to loading long?

There are many schools of thought on this, but they all come down to the fact that you can't make any blanket statement about seating depth. Best to load up several rounds at different depths (all else being the same) and run a round-robin style test to see what give you the tightest groups and stick with it.

Part of the answer depends also on what you intend to do with the rounds. If they're for match shooting, and you can somewhat guard them from the typical perils most ammo is subject too (Dropping, rattling around in a glove box, sat on while in pocket) then load as long as you want. Just enough in the case to hold the bullet while theu bolt transfers the cartridge from magazine box to chamber.

If for hunting, you'd be better off looking for an accuracy node where you can use a shorter OAL. Without sufficient bullet depth, you run the risk of having to blow spilled powder out of the action regularly.

Or you could go with the vlds. Lord knows they r long. To get in the lands I'm at 2.963". Never had a bullet pull out with 168 vlds at that length.

The old rule for GP rounds that may see some abuse, or recoil is you want at least the OD of the bullet worth of contact within the neck. Of course you can try less, it may be perfectly serviceable.

Quite a few cases don't have necks a caliber long.

Read the sticky up top. I did and I'm into the lands and getting great groups. I can't tell you what to do but this is what I did.

Kevin