• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Is there a helmet-mount thermal better than the SkeetIRX for spotting & navigation?

tigerrver

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2018
Louisiana
If you main use will be helmet-mount for spotting animals & navigation, is there any unit (obtainable) currently available (or available in the near future) that is better than the SkeetIRX? (not counting dual Skeet's)

Also, if you want NV fusion and the ability to use while driving (with a windshield), what would be the best (lightweight) paired NV second unit? PVS14? Tanto?

Thanks in advance!

Best fusion would probably be dual night vision with a ecoti, or a jerry c.

Some people have an issue making the thermal and the nv “merge”

My eyes are messed up and it’s near impossible for me.

In terms of helmet mountable thermal available to civilian market it would probably be hard to beat a skeet. The nox18 is supposed to be very nice as well, along with the rh25. I don’t have much experience with any of these.

I’ve tried the fusion with a 14 and a mh25 and like I said it didn’t go well for me. Maybe with time and practice my brain would learn to merge, but I’m doubting it.

No.

There are thermals better than the Skeet at many other things, but there is nothing better on a helmet. Nothing.

There could be something out there that I don’t know about. I was hopeful the Voodoo-S would dethrone the Skeet — and it does on everything BUT a helmet.

Nope… for helmet, Skeet still reigns supreme — after all these many years.

Last edited:
Best fusion would probably be dual night vision with a ecoti, or a jerry c.

Some people have an issue making the thermal and the nv “merge”

My eyes are messed up and it’s near impossible for me.

In terms of helmet mountable thermal available to civilian market it would probably be hard to beat a skeet. The nox18 is supposed to be very nice as well, along with the rh25. I don’t have much experience with any of these.

I’ve tried the fusion with a 14 and a mh25 and like I said it didn’t go well for me. Maybe with time and practice my brain would learn to merge, but I’m doubting it.
Thanks for the responses. Any thoughts on a Tanto versus a NVS15 for NV? Tanto is lighter but lacks manual adjustment and IR light.

I believe @jstokes1 is supposed to test a demo model? I know they had one at SHOT but they said they made some changes after SHOT to ruggedize it a bit more. It will be interesting to see how it relates to the NOX18 and MH25.

I don't think it will be a SKEETIRX killer but one can hope and dream:D