• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a low level IR with no wash out/

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
So I have been doing some recent testing with a Helmet mounted PVS 14. I acquired some land and I have been messing around. I have a IR only laser from crimson trace and mounted it to a suppressed 22. The problem I am having is there is a lot of was out on the point of impact if under 40 yards. It literally cover up an entire racoon.

What I am asking is, does any one make a low powered IR that does not wash out, say under 100 yards.

If talking IR illuminator
I think washout is controlled by two things. One is the brightness, the other is the beam size. If you are trying to illuminate something small, but the beam is so big it is lighting up tree tops and bushes around you, it is a problem.

The Luna ELIR3 has a dimmable laser illuminator that you can focus the beam size on.

Also, If you want very bright you can remove its filter easily. But understand if you do, the laser unfiltered can do permanent eye damage, so be very careful.

If talking IR laser, look at Steiner TOR

So I have been doing some recent testing with a Helmet mounted PVS 14. I acquired some land and I have been messing around. I have a IR only laser from crimson trace and mounted it to a suppressed 22. The problem I am having is there is a lot of was out on the point of impact if under 40 yards. It literally cover up an entire racoon.

What I am asking is, does any one make a low powered IR that does not wash out, say under 100 yards.
I have a steiner OTAL-C which I really like. No problems washing out up to maybe 200 yards? Haven't played around with it much but its a good IR only option IMO.

Reactions: nutation
I have had good luck with my little cheapo Holosun that I run on my .22lr. I shot this guy at about 10 yards. He had his mouth on the tail of one of my roosters when I dropped him. I have since dumped the surfire and put a LUNA ELIR on there.
20210326_053539.jpg