Is there a place for 308 in my stable

Jmccracken1214

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Between shooting my 223 mk12 build, 6.5Cm tikka and my 16” Grendel…. I’ve got a tikka 308 sitting in the safe with no glass, less than 40 rounds on the rifle…
    Had it cut down to 16” and in a KrG bravo with enclosed forend…. Badass looking rig but not sure I can justify it just sitting… and the other calibers will do anything it can do…

Just looking for other opinions as I fight this battle in my head…. Don’t want to take a huge loss on selling, but could use the money to pay off some bills.

AirgunnerPCP

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jun 16, 2020
    Charlotte
    I like a 308 for training purposes. It has enough recoil to make you focus on follow through, there's decent quality ammo available off the shelf for relatively cheaply and you don't have to worry about burning out the barrel too quickly.

RobertB

Manners Stocks Support Team
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Aug 20, 2009
    Oak Grove, Louisiana
    I'll never not have a .308. I may not use it the most but I'll have it.

That being said, I've shot my target .308 more than anything else this year in many disciplines. It's still a great round and loaded right it doesn't get outgunned too bad. All while being super versatile. And barrel life may as well be infinite!

Jmccracken1214

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    The rifle sitting there doing nothing is a waste of space and money. Sell it, pay your bills.
    Yes it is… but I keep going back to, is the $1200-1400 I get out of it going to make or break me? No, but it would help… but everytime I pull it out of the safe to take a picture to post it, I can’t do it… maybe a little more time will make it an easier decision.

It's not too late to get a fixed power swfa with rings for $220! Grab the 10x or 12x and shoot it!
    Hear good things about them, but not sure I’d be happy with it, I’ve got bushnell dmr3 or xsr3’s on everything… worried the swfa would end up letting me down

CK1.0

\m/ SLAYER \m/
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Sep 2, 2020
    I'll never not have a .308. I may not use it the most but I'll have it.

That being said, I've shot my target .308 more than anything else this year in many disciplines. It's still a great round and loaded right it doesn't get outgunned too bad. All while being super versatile. And barrel life may as well be infinite!

I've been looking at getting a .308 but have no idea what I'd load for it... mind sharing what you're running..?

RobertB

Manners Stocks Support Team
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Aug 20, 2009
    Oak Grove, Louisiana
    I've been looking at getting a .308 but have no idea what I'd load for it... mind sharing what you're running..?
    Not sure what you're wanting to do with it but for target shooting the 176 A-Tip is hard to beat.

After that a 168 ELD-M or Amax is great. As is a 175 SMK, 168 Hybrid, and if you have a longer barrel a 155 Scenar at speed is nice!

I run Hornady stuff almost exlusively so alot of A-Tips, 155 BTHP, and 168 ELD-Ms for me. For hunting the ELD-Ms are my go to.

Powder wise Varget is hard to beat but great luck with IMR 4064 Green label Enduron, XBR 8208, H4895, and RL 15.5 and RL 16.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: CK1.0

Paradox

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Mar 22, 2022
    New Jersey , USA
    Between shooting my 223 mk12 build, 6.5Cm tikka and my 16” Grendel…. I’ve got a tikka 308 sitting in the safe with no glass, less than 40 rounds on the rifle…
    Had it cut down to 16” and in a KrG bravo with enclosed forend…. Badass looking rig but not sure I can justify it just sitting… and the other calibers will do anything it can do…

Just looking for other opinions as I fight this battle in my head…. Don’t want to take a huge loss on selling, but could use the money to pay off some bills.
    How much would you sell it for?

Evintos

Lurker
    Minuteman
    Sep 19, 2008
    Yes it is… but I keep going back to, is the $1200-1400 I get out of it going to make or break me? No, but it would help… but everytime I pull it out of the safe to take a picture to post it, I can’t do it… maybe a little more time will make it an easier decision.
    If you receive $1200-1400 worth of joy from ownership of the item and taking pictures of said item despite not using said item, then keep it.

Put it in another way, will you receive $1200-1400 worth of joy (or other positive emotions) by eliminating $1200-1400 worth of bills/debt? If so, sell it.

Put it in a third way, will you receive $1200-1400 worth of joy from the sale of the rifle if you used some of the profits from sale to pay a portion of bills/debt and using the remaining portion to buy an item that you can extract more joy from by using said new item on a more frequent basis. If so, sell it.

Last edited:

ArTeeKay

Not last, but certainly, the least.
    Minuteman
    Feb 8, 2019
    Montana
    I learned a lesson about selling rifles. That is, don't do it. You can always earn more money. But unless the rifle just doesn't work, or you're going to be upgrading to another similar rifle with features you like more, selling the rifle and then having to replace it is more costly than you think, in more than just dollars.

Jmccracken1214

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Hitting more on barrel life, I might just pull the glass off my 6.5, since I’m not shooting matches like I used to and slap it on the 308.
    Only downside, i use 8208 for 223, Grendel and 308… may have to grab a different powder to feed the 308 so I don’t eat up my 8208 stash that I can’t ever find to buy

Reactions: ArTeeKay

Skunk

Amongst the Enemy
    Minuteman
    Nov 24, 2003
    On gun…
    907EB198-E0CF-4633-9866-9859632026E4.jpeg

ArTeeKay

Not last, but certainly, the least.
    Minuteman
    Feb 8, 2019
    Montana
    IMR 4895 works pretty well for me in a 16" .308, and may be easier to find. But there's lots of good options, and good loads are pretty well known for those powders. So go forth and be happy!

Jmccracken1214

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    IMR 4895 works pretty well for me in a 16" .308, and may be easier to find. But there's lots of good options, and good loads are pretty well known for those powders. So go forth and be happy!
    I don’t have too many shops around me that sell powder, but I’m going to look for 4895, pp 2000mr, cfe223

Geaux tigers

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 9, 2020
    There’s always a place for a 308.
    It’s a classic that u need.

I don’t shoot my 308’s hardly ever bc I got 6mm 7’s and big 30’s for as my work horses (comp guns) but if you got bill problems that will only satisfy u for 30 days and the problem is still there.

Keep your rifle when things pick up for you and they will take that money and put it on some optics and shoot it.

Only reason to sell a gun is to up grade

Reactions: RobertB

db2000

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Mar 27, 2020
    I can’t believe we’re even having this conversation. Until you find a .308 you’d rather have in it’s place, listening to anyone on the internet that says sell it is either just f’ing with you or full retard.

moosemeat

30Hate club founding member
    Minuteman
    Jun 21, 2009
    Barren plains of Kansas
    If it's a "like to sell it" just keep it.

If your family needs to eat sell the thing. In the end it's just a mechanical thing. Remember tho, they always cost more to replace later.

I think everybody needs a 308. If you can manage a 308s recoil and shoot it well out to 1000 yards everything else becomes the easy button. Ammo is always available. Barrels last a good long time. You get lots of practice dialing turrets. You get better at reading wind, or spotting misses....

acudaowner

Two Star General
    Minuteman
    Dec 26, 2018
    yes you should always have room for another good round

TicTacTex

Buyer of More Ammo
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 14, 2020
    Republic of Texas

Didn’t you post this rifle for sale a few weeks ago?

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
    Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I had four bolt guns in .308, I'm down to two now (technically one is a 7.62x51). I still love the cartridge. I also have a couple large frame ARs that are chambered in it too.

To me; it is like a 1911 in .45ACP. There is just a way about the recoil impulse that I enjoy. No it isn't the greatest cartridge, but it is a great cartridge.

I may have a few other rifles chambered in 'mo-betta' cartridges, but I don't enjoy shooting them more than my .308s. I couldn't imagine not having one.

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes

Jmccracken1214

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I’m going to keep it. I went out today looking for powder, no luck. Found some varget but only 1lb per customer.
    Guess I’ll start using up my 8208 that I haven’t seen in a store in over a year.
    I did find 8# of varget online but ended up $450 shipped. No thank you.

FuhQ

Unreconstructed
    Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2013
    Your Wife's Pussy

It doesn't matter what you have already... There is always a place for a .308 Win in everyone's stable. Some just refuse to admit that the grandaddy of the short-actions can still hold its own. 👍🏼

CK1.0

\m/ SLAYER \m/
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Sep 2, 2020
    I actually want a .308 just because I've never had one and figured with all the other shit I shoot, one barrel would last me the rest of my life lol.

But yeah, the cost per round is what deters me, it'd actually cost me more than my 6... (same reason I've been thinking about putting together a .223 for ~2 years and haven't yet lol).

Reactions: BurtG

kb300w

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 15, 2009
    Lake Oswego,OR
    I bought an Impact 737 with a 308 barrel and a 6CM barrel. I love shooting that 308 so much I have not shot the 6CM yet. I have been loading CFE223 because I had lots and it will shoot 1/4 MOA with 168 ELDMs when I don't screw it up. Its such a satisfying rifle I bought another action for the 6CM.