• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is there a science to mounting a scope?

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
I finally just got my base/rings in so I can mount my scope now.

Is there anything special I need to know?

I mean like placement of rings on base, or placement of scope in rings?

Thanks.

Re: Is there a science to mounting a scope?

You'll want to space the rings far enough apart to support the scope adequately(I like to space them as far apart as I can while still doing the following) set the scope where the eye relief fits you best, not too close, not too far. You will want to make sure it is level before and while you tighten the rings, use either the feeler gauge method or the plumb bob method. I also like to keep it on max mag(if applicable) so you get the eye relief right. You will want to make sure that the rings are straight on the mount before you put the scope in them BEFORE you tighten them down, they may or may not need to be lapped, or use an alignment tool. If you have bought quality rings/base then you should be alright.

Will you be shooting with a muzzle brake or suppressor? If so, you should push one of the rings forward in the slot untill stops, and the other one backwards. When you fire with a brake the rifle will push backwards and then forwards, so the rings might slip if you you don't do this. And use a torque wrench.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQgXPA4A2J0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQgXPA4A2J0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I bought a alignment/lapping kit from midway. It allows you to be sure the scope rings are properly aligned. Then i lapp in all the rings, no matter how expensive, this will help insure the bed for the scope is even. I think it also helps in eliminating rings on your scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you be shooting with a muzzle brake or suppressor? If so, you should push one of the rings forward in the slot untill stops, and the other one backwards. When you fire with a brake the rifle will push backwards and then forwards, so the rings might slip if you you don't do this. And use a torque wrench.</div></div>

I would not push one of rings backwards. The recoil moves the scope/rings and base forward, hence why you want to push it forward, and why many bases now have recoil lugs built in the scope base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m. Dalton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a alignment/lapping kit from midway. It allows you to be sure the scope rings are properly aligned. Then i lapp in all the rings, no matter how expensive, this will help insure the bed for the scope is even. I think it also helps in eliminating rings on your scopes.</div></div>

Just be careful lapping all rings. Ultralite Nightforce rings can be damaged because you might remove too much material. Nightforce warns you against lapping. I would bed the base, and then just check the rings, and if they are high quality rings like nightforce, seekins, badger, etc.. they will not need lapping. MK4 rings probably will, at least the set that I had did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you be shooting with a muzzle brake or suppressor? If so, you should push one of the rings forward in the slot untill stops, and the other one backwards. When you fire with a brake the rifle will push backwards and then forwards, so the rings might slip if you you don't do this. And use a torque wrench.</div></div>

I would not push one of rings backwards. The recoil moves the scope/rings and base forward, hence why you want to push it forward, and why many bases now have recoil lugs built in the scope base. </div></div>

Like I said, if he will be shooting with a muzzle brake. The recoil is changed. Read my post one more time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you be shooting with a muzzle brake or suppressor? If so, you should push one of the rings forward in the slot untill stops, and the other one backwards. When you fire with a brake the rifle will push backwards and then forwards, so the rings might slip if you you don't do this. And use a torque wrench.</div></div>

I would not push one of rings backwards. The recoil moves the scope/rings and base forward, hence why you want to push it forward, and why many bases now have recoil lugs built in the scope base. </div></div>

Like I said, if he will be shooting with a muzzle brake. The recoil is changed. Read my post one more time.</div></div>

The muzzle break opposes some of the recoil...but the scope,base,rings are still moving forward just less then without a muzzle break so don't place one ring forward and one ring back...that is wrong.

In the CS Tac. video he mentions using LocTite when installing the base. Is this only around the screws?

I ask because I remember reading somewhere (I can't remember where) to also cover the bottom of the base in a thin coat of LocTite as well. This apparently 'seals' the base to the receiver so moisture cannot get between the two.

Yup, someone just brought that up recently. The layer of loctite is used to seal out moisture from getting between the scope base and receiver.