• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is There Any Truth To This Claim

jwp475

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2005
USA
Formidilosus said:
The PRS “stats” on face value should be taken with a grain of salt. Unless you know the politics and inner workings you’re not seeing the what you think you are. For instance- if my life depended on it I would choose a Bushnell HDMR over most current production S&B’s as they have fewer problems. One can like that or not- it’s simple reality when 20 of each are laid side by side and actually measured, tested, and used hard. But one could look at the “rankings” and see that only a couple shooters used Bushnell..... Of course that’s because Bushnell has drastically cut it’s shooting team

Features and glass are what sell in PRS- not absolute reliability.

I have 6 S&B’s and have never experienced an issue, are the new S&B scopes having reliability issues?

It could be but ultimately who cares? We are each accountable for our decisions and the sources we utilize so I only blame myself if I fall victim to marketing hype.

Reactions: jwp475
No, this is based off a Hodnett comment, he tried shooting down S&B pretty hard. He made a post that he had a return 25 units which S*B said was completely BS. He is aligned with NF and attacked S&B

Bushnell would be pretty far down list and up until recently, dealers were telling me they had a pretty high return rate for Bushnell.

Team GAP is really who promotes Bushnell, even some of their guys have said they would rather shoot S&B

I think when looking at what the “pros” use it’s good to keep in mind the total weapon system. The shooter who knows their gear in my opinion will generally outshoot the shooter who is trying to buy a bypass of the learning and skill required. Clint Smith talks about in home defense how he could defend his home with a single shot 12 gauge if that’s what he had because he’d learn that system and run run it like a scalded dog. It sounds like SB works for you and I wouldn’t overthink it. If I was sponsored in PRS I’d be running what my sponsor provided regardless of my personal preference. It’s a whole lotta marketing, just my .02.

Call me a fan boy or whatever but I have had a Bushnell HDMR and an S&B 3-12x50. Guess which one I still have and have had no issues (including tracking) whatsoever and guess which one stayed in my possession for less than a month?

Call me a fan boy or whatever but I have had a Bushnell HDMR and an S&B 3-12x50. Guess which one I still have and have had no issues (including tracking) whatsoever and guess which one stayed in my possession for less than a month?
I'm not good at guessing...... so you kept which one? And why? I'm assuming SB?

I'm not good at guessing...... so you kept which one? And why? I'm assuming SB?
Yes I kept the S&B. The Bushnell I had would not track. The adjustment kept slipping dialing elevation. I would dial 3 tenth mil clicks and nothing. Then on a fourth click it would jump 0.3 mils. Never had a problem with my SB.

No, this is based off a Hodnett comment, he tried shooting down S&B pretty hard. He made a post that he had a return 25 units which S*B said was completely BS. He is aligned with NF and attacked S&B

Bushnell would be pretty far down list and up until recently, dealers were telling me they had a pretty high return rate for Bushnell.

Team GAP is really who promotes Bushnell, even some of their guys have said they would rather shoot S&B

Shit likes this makes me want to go take a shower in gasoline after watching that stupid ass DVD series. Granted it was when I first got into shooting, but still that’s the market those videos got. Filled their brain with bad info and left you with unfucking it. Cool.. he sounds like a stand up dude......

and just cause the top guys use it doesn't mean its the best. for example, last year D Preston was shooting for surgeon, so he was running a surgeon. this year he is shooting a Curtis. guess what, he just won NC. so, it doesn't always matter. that and there are plenty of guys who are sponsored by one company, promote them (or they would lose their sponsorship) but use a different product. bullets are a perfect example of this. unless you are supposed to be shooting hornady elds, it would be hard to tell a sierra or berger or jlk from one another. but its very easy to post a pic of a tight group and say "I love these brand x bullets". just some more food for thought

Reactions: Bradu
and just cause the top guys use it doesn't mean its the best. for example, last year D Preston was shooting for surgeon, so he was running a surgeon. this year he is shooting a Curtis. guess what, he just won NC. so, it doesn't always matter. that and there are plenty of guys who are sponsored by one company, promote them (or they would lose their sponsorship) but use a different product. bullets are a perfect example of this. unless you are supposed to be shooting hornady elds, it would be hard to tell a sierra or berger or jlk from one another. but its very easy to post a pic of a tight group and say "I love these brand x bullets". just some more food for thought

How some PRS "pro's" promote their sponsors products certainly can be pretty annoying and disingenuous. Some of these "pro's" jump from sponsor to sponsor like whore's at a crackhouse.

One season brand X is the best brand and they wouldn't be able to win a single match without their specific product (in their words, paraphrased) and then next season suddenly brand Y is now the best. Just because it is free for them, it is being promoted as unquestionably the best in the industry. Right, wrong, or indifferent, representing products this way loses credibility for that pro and waters down their endorsement of the product.

Not all the "pro's" are like this, in fact I would say most are not. I just wish that all pro's were a bit more genuine in how they promote their sponsors. It's hard to take their word when they are constantly jumping around.

I'm a fan of how Matt Brousseau is working the 2018 season, #teamme. No real sponsorships, just running the products that he runs because he believes in them. That type of an endorsement of a product has much more credibility than the alternative I described above.

I personally know of 4 S&B that went back for warranty last season.
In what context? Do you run a year round class or something? Own a shop? How many S&Bs have you had that do not go back to the shop vs those that do? Obviously no maker is infallible, but give your comment some context.

The blister pack tasco????

I personally know the same person returning more than one Bushnell, as well when we got into it with Scott at Liberty over IORs he also confirmed they had higher return rate than the IORs he sold. He was a dealer for both.

When S&B went to the locking turret they increased their return rate, the funny thing is, the only reason we have the locks is that of Horus. They made the Army require a Locking turret so guys could lock off the elevation and just hold. Those turrets are the majority of any problems I have seen. If you use the UltraShort Model with the redesigned turret or the DT Turrets, zero issues.

In what context?
PRS/NRL competitive shooters that that had scopes that stopped tracking, holding or returning to zero, one scope was diagnosed with "yaw" issues. All were either repaired or replaced, but to competition shooters, this is very bad. We have a lot invested in these matches and spend thousands of dollars to compete. S&B scopes are very good, but they are not perfect. They break too, and at a higher rate than I thought.

I am not saying a Bushnell is a better scope or has superior durability. I don't really know anyone running Bushnell. Anyone that says "if your life depends on it, I would..." gets tuned out anyway. I am just stating that S&B scope can fail (like any scope). People on here often have opinion on equipment, sometimes influenced in part by their emotions. A lot of people type more than they shoot too...

Reactions: LSUbeatUby40
I am just stating that S&B scope can fail (like any scope). People on here often have opinion on equipment, sometimes influenced in part by their emotions. A lot of people type more than they shoot too...
I agree which is why I asked to provide context because if you just say I had 4 that had to be sent in, that could be 4 of 4 or 4 of 40,000.

Just curious: if a scope goes down in competition, can you put a back up one on? (Assuming you have a backup with you) or is there a rule that the equipment you start with is what you have to end with?

Just curious: if a scope goes down in competition, can you put a back up one on? (Assuming you have a backup with you) or is there a rule that the equipment you start with is what you have to end with?
Almost always the MD will let you. You should always ask first. Sometimes you can miss a stage or 2 in the process of either fixing a scope or changing gear. Most times you can actually have a rifle go down on one day and use a backup on day 2. It is always the MD's call. Just be nice when you ask!

Almost always the MD will let you. You should always ask first. Sometimes you can miss a stage or 2 in the process of either fixing a scope or changing gear. Most times you can actually have a rifle go down on one day and use a backup on day 2. It is always the MD's call. Just be nice when you ask!
Thanks man. Just seems like an idea given all scopes fail. Obviously that would be a large extra chunk of money but if you've got $2k+ in a trip it doesn't seem as crazy to consider.

How some PRS "pro's" promote their sponsors products certainly can be pretty annoying and disingenuous. Some of these "pro's" jump from sponsor to sponsor like whore's at a crackhouse.

While I will admit I have not been to many crackhouses, I didnt know what whores did at them. Good to know and what a mental image

Not all the "pro's" are like this, in fact I would say most are not. I just wish that all pro's were a bit more genuine in how they promote their sponsors. It's hard to take their word when they are constantly jumping around.

I'm a fan of how Matt Brousseau is working the 2018 season, #teamme. No real sponsorships, just running the products that he runs because he believes in them. That type of an endorsement of a product has much more credibility than the alternative I described above.

I agree with you search up a scope vs another scope and different review promoting each sponsor brand I wish they genuinely talk about credible product

Reactions: midgetorama