• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there any way to sleve a 22 rifle barrel?(Updated)

BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama
    So, I have a Winchester model 6 lever action take down. It shoots short and LR. It's such an awesome gun and works perfectly but the barrel is really badm I haven't shot it since I cleaned the barrel but with the pitting and so much if the lands nearly gone, I can't imagine it will shoot anywhere near acceptable. I'd like to ceracoat it and put a rail on it and thread the barrel and have a super sweet pest gun(it's super quiet without a can because of the closed breach).

Seems like someone could drill it and insert a stainless rifled tube and she would be new again ?

Yeah used to be pretty common. Search for 22lr barrel liners and you’ll find them.

Awesome. Thank you! Got any recs on manufacturer and who can do it?
    I used to see adds for “Redman”? barrel liners and reamer drills, possibly in Brownells or Midway USA. I’ve heard of both solder-in as well as epoxy fixing, but no first hand experience. While doable, I don’t think I’d expect match accuracy, more like minute-of-squirrel.
    Hope you have success 👍

they may have a barrel
    That's cool. They didn't have a barrel but I did register for when they do. They also do have several other items for it. There's one little screw missing on the hand guard pump and I may even get a new walnut stock for it from there too. Thank you

Reactions: ZG47A
    I believe midway USA has a rimfire reline how to vid on YouTube, I think they also carry what you need to do it with.

20230317_063639.jpg

I did this for a 1903a4 sniper tribute project. Somehow I ended up with a 1903 barreled receiver from a drill rifle. I learned that making these into functional 30-06 rifles was ill-advised due to the welding done to the receiver when making these into drill rifles. So, I figured, let's make this into a .22lr instead. I used the Redman sleeve mentioned above. I believe the instructions call for an 8mm drill extended with some drill rod to prepare the bore. I chose the solder method for no particular reason. Put a repro m73b1 scope on it. Turned out pretty well and fun as hell to plink with. Love the looks of surprise I get when others on the firing line are expecting the report of 30-06 and hear a .22!

Last edited:
    Easy peasy. But you do need a special
    Drill. And some practice using it.

First time… or one off… I’d have a ‘smith do it! ESP on a nice Old Winchester!

Sirhr

Yeah , I could do it I think but I'm not going to. I'd rather just pay someone who knows that they are doing and know that it will come out right. It doesn't have to be a competition rifle or anything but I'd like for it to shoot as well as possible. Not sure which liner to use and what twist would be best? I think most are 1:16 but I'm sure there are some options. All of the liners seem to be button rifled. A member here gave me a name and number of a guy who does it so I'm going to give him a call and ask him a little about it and see what he recommends.

Reactions: ZG47A
    I've done quite a few liners over the years. I've only used Redman liners and I have been happy with how they shoot, even the .17 cal. Fairly easy process, drill the bore out to 5/16 or 8MM, I usually sand blast the OD of the liner, soak barrel and liner in acetone, then glue or Loctite it in. Chamber and crown. I'd suggest having a gunsmith do it since it still needs to be chambered and crowned. I do everything in the lathe now but the first one I did at Colorado School of Trades I used a hand drill with a piloted bit that Brownell's sells. Hope this helps and answers your questions?

Chris Zajic
    ZP Machining LLC

I have a reproduction 1874 Sharps rifle in 45-70. There is a guy down in Texas that makes .22 cal. liners that you insert into the bore, turning the rifle into a 45-70-.22. The liner looks to have some shrink wrap about every 8'' or so that keeps the liner centered throughout the bore, then the whole liner is covered with a long sleeve of shrink wrap. A 45-70 case is soldered at the breach end of the liner at an offset that allows the .22 round to be fired on its rim by the firing pin. The twist is 1-16 and it has a match chamber. As strange as this set-up is, it's pretty accurate; definitely minute-of-squirrel, although I don't want to carry a 12-pound rifle in the woods. I can ring the metal targets at 250 yards at the local range using the vernier tang sights, of course. I would estimate the accuracy is around 1.5 MOA with mid-price ammo. The liner is 24" long and my rifle barrel is 30" long, and shots out of the rifle are quite a bit quieter than if the barrel was 24".

So thanks to a gentleman ITT, I did get hooked up with a guy in MT who put a sleve in my barrel and them my gunsmith buddy threaded the barrel, installed a rail, and cerakoted it for me. Pretty slick set up and it's super quiet! Will post pics soon

Sorry about the pics taking so long. I got distracted and forgot. Here ya go. I can't make the red dot work here though. Now I'm going to have to get a little scope....

Attachments

• 20230709_141926.jpg
      20230709_141926.jpg
      244.2 KB · Views: 34
    • 20230709_141911.jpg
      20230709_141911.jpg
      216.2 KB · Views: 28
    • 20230709_141916.jpg
      20230709_141916.jpg
      172.9 KB · Views: 29