• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Is there anyway to fix this???

kool Guyy117

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2013
I just noticed that every time I try to cycle my rounds through my Remington 700 that they come out all scratched up. I noticed that they are scratching on the feed ramp and only when I am using the mag not when I am feeding it one by one through the top. Is there anyway to fix this??

Sounds like there are burrs on the magazine feed lips. Pull the mag and lightly sand or file then to remove the burrs. Stampings often have burred edges that don't get removed by tumbling the parts, occasionally one might miss the cleanup process. My Rem 700 .223 did the same thing. I dressed the edges with a #2 swiss pattern file then stoned them lightly to polish the edges. Problem solved.

Sounds like there are burrs on the magazine feed lips. Pull the mag and lightly sand or file then to remove the burrs. Stampings often have burred edges that don't get removed by tumbling the parts, occasionally one might miss the cleanup process. My Rem 700 .223 did the same thing. I dressed the edges with a #2 swiss pattern file then stoned them lightly to polish the edges. Problem solved.
I'll try that I noticed though that on the feed ramp there's brass marks where's it's causing the scratches do you think I can sand that or polish somehow?

I'll try that I noticed though that on the feed ramp there's brass marks where's it's causing the scratches do you think I can sand that or polish somehow?

Absolutely polish the feedramp, if the brass is leaving marks on it that correspond to the scratches.