• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Is this a Bobcat?

Niles Coyote

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2007
    South West, MI
    Bobcats are rarely seen in my part of the state and I've only saw one in the wild... does this appear to be a bobcat or some exotic hybrid.
    19280-1.jpg

19281-1.jpg

19282-1.jpg
    19283-1.jpg

I've only shot a couple bobcats, and seen another close up in the wild, and none had ears like that.

Reactions: CuTm
    Is that on a trail cam or is that at your house?
    A guy I knew years ago ended up basically adopting one. I don't know the complete backstory but he would walk it around like it was a dog. And if you are at his house in the cat likes you... You better pet it...it didn't like being ignored

maybe a house cat bob cat mix someone Gettin' Jiggy Wit It .

what ever it it i am positive it would make a great house pet you should have accepted it

Might be a Kneelcat.

Can't get Bob action without the Kneel.

Reactions: STex
    It has variations from the bobcats I see in KS. It also seems a bit tame for a bobcat.
    15E59F4A-7EBC-40F3-AB94-A88E66945A29.jpeg

Reactions: TACC
    In my younger days,,drove a propane truck.
    Had a couple who warned me,they had 2 HUGE malomutes.
    No biggy,,they we're extremely friendly.
    They were extremely friendly
    Then told me of the cougar living under the pourch,,,ah ok..?
    Don't you know,,about then heard her,,and kittens.
    This was around Bailey CO.
    Told me she moved in 2-3 yrs ago.
    Never bother the dogs or home owners.

Reactions: deersniper
    My thinking is that it is some sort of exotic cat or hybrid. I don't think it is a bobcat. Too tame and the white tail tip and white ears are not at all like a bobcat. Likely someone's escaped/released "pet."

The ears, the color, the markings all look like a Caracal or “desert lynx” to me. Not saying it should be there at all (maybe an escaped exotic pet?), but it really, really looks like it's a Caracal.

We were stalking the same rabbit. Both of us looking for dinner. Killed the bobcat at 75 yards with one shot. Rabbit was about half that distance.

• Haha
    Reactions: deersniper
    The 2 bobcats i have killed here in upstate NY have white on the ear. Not as defined as the pic. Looks like a young cat that doesn't have a fear yet.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Snuby642
    A buddy of mine had a female make a den under his barn. The kittens would come out like clock work when he pulled in the driveway w the diesel pickup.

I was happy w one. Told myself one was enough than had a opportunity to take one w a handgun 15 years latter. Well 2 is my limit unless its a 40 plus pounder...lol

They are very common here. I kill 20-40 per year simply to protect birds and small game. All predators need some control.

Reactions: DIBBS
    Dam u sell the pelts?

I bet they taste good. Nice lean white meat.

Yes it is a bobcat here in west Texas you will see them with white on the backs of their ears or not , like most animals there are differences

Reactions: Snuby642 and STex
    I have skinned many hundreds of bobcats and none had those white spots so they are not common in this area for sure.

Reactions: D_TROS
    I haven’t skinned hundreds, but the ones I see in MS every year have those same white areas. It’s one of the easiest way to spot them when those white ears twitch.

Hunting predators is great sport. Lion, leopard, grizzly, brown, polar or black bear. Coyotes, mountain lions, foxes, bobcats or wolves. Great fun.

Always regretted that tiger hunting ended prior to my ability to go.

I wonder at the fascination of shooting 2-4 moa steel targets? If folks find it fun or challenging great. For me, I shoot paper and tune my hunting rifles.

Reactions: NukeMan
    I’ve always wanted to hunt the big things that can bite back. I’ll stick to reading Capstick stories until I can get up north for a wolf hunt.

Reactions: Bluedog82
    Seriously,
    I have done both extensively. There is little difference. You should try some coyote hunting. Just as fun and you can do it on your own for a very reasonable price.

You guys ever eaten bobcat? I've heard of folks eating mountain lion but not bobcats.

I’ve always wanted to hunt the big things that can bite back. I’ll stick to reading Capstick stories until I can get up north for a wolf hunt.
    Try predator hunting. It'll give you something to hunt year around plus it will sharpen your shooting skills and you'll be doing the fawns and ground nesting gamebirds a favor. I used to enjoy Capstick but I think he embellished too many stories. Stay safe.

Of the bobcats I have seen in daylight there have been color variations.

The one on the wall didn't have the color on the back of the ears but one I saw in the hill country did as I remember.

It didn't get shot since it had not been discussed with land owner.

Some landowners want them dead to protect turkeys and deer, some like to see them roam free.

Hard to see from this pic but has white on back of ears.
    D1B46B58-C8CE-452A-A6BE-9E68BC23C453.jpeg

here's a story of a crazy old lady who brought a bob cat into a store to have its picture taken with Santa lol
    No nothing could go wrong lol wonder if they would accept a mountain lion or larger cat to have pictures taken with Santa ?

Reactions: Flatrock and STex