• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this a good rifle?

jc98ss

Swansonisms
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2010
Middle TN
I've been looking into getting a new toy and I might have found one on gunbroker.....Will this be a shooter?......Does anyone have any experience with M70's in this configuration?....i was thinking of doing a camo paint job and slapping on a Mark 4......Will this caliber accurately reach out to 800yds, weather permitting.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=207519371

Re: Is this a good rifle?

M70s are built like tanks, FN uses the action in their SPRs, but i cannot say about the caliber, but the stealths in general are hammers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jc98ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been looking into getting a new toy and I might have found one on gunbroker.....Will this be a shooter?......Does anyone have any experience with M70's in this configuration?....i was thinking of doing a camo paint job and slapping on a Mark 4......Will this caliber accurately reach out to 800yds, weather permitting.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=207519371 </div></div>

WSSM brass is horribly inconsistent! Also there are better bullet choices for long range with higher ballistic coefficients in 6mm,6.5 and 7mm.

I'm biased but this is what you want.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2234234&page=1

I'm not too up on that caliber but I've had good luck with the Newer Winchesters I've had recently. Looks like it has all the right features.

Thanks, I just bought it!!

It's an excellent rifle. My most accurate stock rifle, and one that kept up with the customs, was a M70 Stealth II.

The good news is that you may be able to get it cheap due to the caliber.

The bad news is it's a shitty caliber.

But, you would have an excellent platform to build off of. I would buy it and change the caliber but that's me.

could i change the caliber with it being a super short action....would .243 or .308 fit without having to load it as a single shot?.....it has a magnum bolt face too, so i'd have to change that as well, right?

talk to a smith and make sure you can rebarrel to a wsm or saum. the wssm have really short barrel lives and are notoriously erratic. benchmark won't even build you a barrel in the wssm calibers.

the action/stock/trigger/bdl/bases/rings are all great though so it would be perfect for a rebarrel after you swap out the box/follower and barrel.

did a search and you can rebarrel a wssm to a wsm, but it would be a single shot only.

If you're considering a 243 or 308, I'd look for a used win 70 coyote or stealth. I have nearly a dozen mod 70's and wouldn't take a wssm for free.

CDNN still has fn spr dbm actions for $350. Add a Rock barrel and an A3 mac and you're there. Might be able to pull it off cheaper than a new SPR.

I love the Mod 70. But for me, the wssm's are an idea worse than the moa trigger. There are plenty of used 70's out there. Buy one that is already chambered for the caliber you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jc98ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did a search and you can rebarrel a wssm to a wsm, but it would be a single shot only. </div></div>

Why would it be a single shot only? It's not hard nor rocket science to change mag boxes, followers and bolt stops on a M70 Winny and change it to feeding SAUM's or WSM's, depending on your taste in cases.....

Hi we just rebarreled 2 223 WSSM's to neck turned 243WSSM's they were both heavy barreled rifles returned to Winchester as they would not shoot the distributer sold the rifles off cheep with the barrels cut half way down so they had to be rebarreled both were varmint models. the barrel tennons are 1 1/16" but they are 28 tpi of the top of my head realy fine threads. you can as said make them into any WSM or Rem SAUM case but only single shot the actions have been shortened around 1/2" against a standard Win model70 short action. you can not buy a bolt for them in 308 or 223 but you could make an insert to convert the boltface and silver solder it in then get a 308 or 223 extractor but they would be single shot aswell because the magwell opening is to short for anything longer than the WSSM cases might be able to convert it to the 2234 or a 6mmBR but not worth the money you would have to spend to have someone make it work.

the actions are specificaly made for WSSM's and that is it the bolts are not compatable of the magazines to any other action so unless you want to build on a WSSM case or use it with a short mag single shot stay well away from them that is what pushed Winchester over the edge and go bankrupt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why would it be a single shot only? It's not hard nor rocket science to change mag boxes, followers and bolt stops on a M70 Winny and change it to feeding SAUM's or WSM's, depending on your taste in cases..... </div></div>

the action is 1/2" shorter than regular short action found on .308, .243, and wsm.....you couldn't put a longer short action box under a super-short action b/c then the shells wouldn't feed up....if you were to rebarrel to wsm, this would make it a single shot only....i love M70's, but wssm = EPIC FAIL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But, you would have an excellent platform to build off of. I would buy it and change the caliber but that's me. </div></div>

Actually this is not quite true Mike. The WSSM actions are a one-off, not a true WIN short action. They take a special inlet and McMillan only offers it in certain stock patterns.

The WSSM one-off action is a little known thing. The only reason I know this is my smith had a client that tried the exact thing you suggested, have him rebarrel and bed it in a McMillan stock. When they got the stock the inlet did not match the action. A quick call to McM confirmed the WSSM one-off action situation.

Run Forrest, RUN!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jc98ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why would it be a single shot only? It's not hard nor rocket science to change mag boxes, followers and bolt stops on a M70 Winny and change it to feeding SAUM's or WSM's, depending on your taste in cases..... </div></div>

the action is 1/2" shorter than regular short action found on .308, .243, and wsm.....you couldn't put a longer short action box under a super-short action b/c then the shells wouldn't feed up....if you were to rebarrel to wsm, this would make it a single shot only....i love M70's, but wssm = EPIC FAIL</div></div>

you are correct, i looked into building off these actions years ago because you could get them for next to nothing. it would be a reasonably cheap way to make f class rifle if you were into that alone but not much good for anything else long range.

your better off getting a fn spr action from cdnn investments and building on that if you want a crf action.