• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this a good TRG 42 Deal

Buckoman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2008
Hatfield, Pa
I debating on getting a TRG 42 in 338 Lapua and I managed to find one new in box for 2250 shipped and my buddy is going to give me a muzzle break for free. It that a kicking good deal?

Re: Is this a good TRG 42 Deal

i feel your pain.......

however it will become real painful feeding this beast, and airing it out in places worthy of such a round.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i feel your pain.......

however it will become real painful feeding this beast, and airing it out in places worthy of such a round..... </div></div>

I totally agree with boltripper here^^^

That's exactly what's keeping me from jumping on this deal also....If only it were a 22 or a 42 in 300wm....just can't justify the 338 with the space I have on a regular basis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds an awful lot like:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2682207#Post2682207

However it seems odd to me that the post in the For Sale section is for a 338 and on the Sako website all that is offered in the TRG 42 is the 300 win mag and 338 Lapua Magnum. </div></div>

What do you mean? A 338 TRG is a 338LM, not 338 Federal or 338WM. That's what EuroOptics are selling, 338LM's.

Tempting deal but the cost of 338LM brass and bullets kills it for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds an awful lot like:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2682207#Post2682207

However it seems odd to me that the post in the For Sale section is for a 338 and on the Sako website all that is offered in the TRG 42 is the 300 win mag and 338 Lapua Magnum. </div></div>

Ya that's who its with but I never saw that post before. Still can't deceide. I have no optics for it, no brass or dies, but the one thing that might tip me over the edge is the free muzzle break from my buddy. Oh the deceisions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds an awful lot like:

Ya that's who its with but I never saw that post before. Still can't deceide. I have no optics for it, no brass or dies, but the one thing that might tip me over the edge is the free muzzle break from my buddy. Oh the deceisions.</div></div>

In the overall scheme of things when considering a rifle like this, the cost of a muzzle brake is peanuts and I wouldn't put much weight on that when making your decision. You could easily spend as much as what a muzzle brake costs on ammo in one weekend of shooting a .338LM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds an awful lot like:

Ya that's who its with but I never saw that post before. Still can't deceide. I have no optics for it, no brass or dies, but the one thing that might tip me over the edge is the free muzzle break from my buddy. Oh the deceisions.</div></div>

It's expensive to feed and if you have no place to exercise it then no, not worth it. On the other hand if you reload it's cheaper then 50BMG and several people are getting 10 or more reloads with lapua brass. The normal price has been sitting at 2600 for this rifle and 2700 in the other colors, 2900 if you need the fancy finish on the metal. The last TRG-42 I saw with 500 rounds through it was at 2200 used.

From what I read it is one of the most accurate sticks out of the box or otherwise and has an amazing trigger. The stock durability is it's weak point.

Glass options -
I'm going to try my SWFA 5-20x50 when it arrives sometime in the distant future. I'm going to utilize the 3 ring SAKO mount which I bought from a hide member. Bipod, yeah that's going to cost and I'm going to sandbag it for now instead.