• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this a nock-off?

johngfoster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
NW MT
I was browsing a local pawn shop yesterday, when I came across this:

imag0027s.jpg

The sales person said it was some kind of weapon laser device, but couldn't tell me any more specifics. He said it was a good deal. He let me have it for $180 cash. (There were actually 2 identical lights except for serial numbers. No box or paperwork. Both have a few cosmetic scuffs, but functioned properly)

imag0028t.jpg

imag0029g.jpg

imag0030m.jpg

imag0031v.jpg

imag0032b.jpg

imag0033i.jpg

From what I can tell, it looks like a Surefire M952V. It has the rotating bezel to switch between white and IR lamps. Before I purchased it I checked the IR setting and I could see the diode (LED) light up red. I posted this find on AR15.com earlier yest. and someone raised the possibility that it was a cheap Chinese knock-off. Inside there were the expected batteries for an original real deal, but I realize that doesn't prove anything:
imag0034f.jpg

Upon closer inspection I HAVE found some subtle differences between this light and the pictures I have seen around of the M952V:
1. The rubberizing on the tape switch plug extends farther onto the plug than other pictures I've seen of Surefire tape switch plugs.
2. The arrow on the rotating bezel is a hollow triangle instead of a solid arrow.

Later tonight I took a pic of the light while the IR was on. Unfortunately I don't have a NVD yet, so couldn't test it properly, but in the dark the light has a slight red glow to the naked eye as I would expect from an IR lamp. However, when I tried to take a pic with my cellphone camera, it completely whited it out when shining directly at the lense. I had to take the picture at an angle in order to get any kind of definition:
imag0035nj.jpg

So, did I get taken for $180, or did I get an amazing deal?

Re: Is this a nock-off?

That is the real thing. You got a smoking deal on that light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is the real thing. You got a smoking deal on that light. </div></div>

Thanks, Chuck. That's reassuring to hear, especially coming from you.

God dang it.

Why don't I ever find anything in pawnshops aside from broken apart scopes that the seller swears are great?

On topic, smokin' deal bud.

that's real. My Surefire light has the hollow triangle, it's just a different mark than some have.

That is the new generation of tapeswitch if i'm not mistaken, since the 07 has issues with bending the wire where it comes out. I wrapped mine with electrical tape to keep from fucking up the wire. Looks like surefire realized the flaw and corrected it. Chucky, can these be had as replacements for the old ones?

You won't be able to tell the IR except from the red glow, unless you use it with NVG on.

Any chance you can snag the other one at the same price? that's a good deal and I could sure use one at that price (plus a little for your effort)!

I am guessing that those were "borrowed" from the US taxpayer, and who says pawn shops don't buy stolen stuff. BS!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4-Pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am guessing that those were "borrowed" from the US taxpayer, and who says pawn shops don't buy stolen stuff. BS! </div></div>

That would be a good guess.