• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this a problem? (scope gap)

blindsheep

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2018
Hi all. As per title and attached image - is this something which could cause damage?

Rifle is a Christensen MPR (.308) with an Ultrashort mounted in MDT Elite (med. 1") rings. The OEM objective lens cap is just touching the (free-floating) CF handguard but is still able to be turned fairly easily (90 degrees to the right in photo) and has a little bit of give. The mounts/rings are tightened all the way down + pushed forwards, this wasn't a problem.

I've heard conflicting opinions.

Thanks.

Attachments

• MPR-PM2.jpg
    MPR-PM2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 276
Only way to know for sure is through testing, but:

1. I doubt you’ll notice any issues.

2. A couple minutes with sandpaper or a knife on that cap and you’ll remove any concerns.

Absolutely no problem at all. Grind a touch off the cap ring if you don’t like it but nothing will be damaged. Accuracy will be unaffected.

Reactions: blindsheep
Take a file to it then some automotive sandpaper. Use a flat plate and polish it out with 2000 grit. It will look like it came that way from the factory.

Options:

Sand down current or get new/thinner scope cap for objective

get taller rings
For a more comfy upright head position, scope bell not banging stuff on recoil, peace of mind, etc

Leave as is.
If it's touching the handrail and not the barrel, then it doesn't make a difference in accuracy

Which works best for you?

Personally, I don't like the idea of my scope getting ANY force from recoil other than rings. Scope bell may hit handguard. Even lightly that could be 300 rounds/times a month easily

I'd get new/higher rings. With sale of current ones, not prohibitively expensive.

Since that is NOT the barrel, and it's just a free-floating handguard around the barrel... As long you're not having any issues with your scope, I'd leave it alone. It's likely not affecting anything at all, and never will. 👍🏼

Generally, there shouldn't be any part of the scope touching the barrel directly. You don't want the objective bell (and lens) slapping down on the barrel when it's vibrating from the shot! But this is just the objective cap touching the foreguard, which isn't as scary. I'd say file a bit of a groove off the cap so it can pass a paper test - otherwise the cap might still hit and work itself loose over time.

Thanks for the replies. I realized that Frank already has a video touching on the subject.

Lesson: Scope Height (timestamped)

".. under recoil and vibration, this (scope cape) will hit the top rail and will bend the scope tube. We've seen these get bent."