• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this a problem with my LMSS2 spotting scope ?

Anointed1

It's the pills I swear
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2021
    Pacific Northwest
    A month and a half ago I bought the LMSS2 spotting scope when they came back in stock...the other day was the first time I've had a chance to set it up on a tripod and play around with it...I'm starting to think there might be an issue with the focus ring so I'm looking for some opinions from other owners. The issue is it's pretty dang hard to turn the thing.

I'm not sure what else to compare it too to give an idea how hard it is to turn. I don't have a strap wrench I could put a torque wrench on to measure the force required to turn it...but chances are neither would any other owners of one on the Hide would either for comparison.

I can say this...it's "greatly" harder than the focus wheel of my Steiner HX binoculars...they don't even compare. The bino's are nice and smooth like on bearings...not loose but what would seem normal...the spotter is actually difficult....like a huge amount of drag. Is this normal ?...will it loosen up ?

Any thoughts from other owners of the LMSS2 would be appreciated.

They're tight to prevent moving when not wanted. Nowhere near as easy to turn as the focus wheel on binos, that's for sure. This doesn't sound like anything is wrong. It took me a while to get used to mine. Totally understandable that you'd be concerned on an optic that expensive though. If you're concerned still hit me up and I can put you in contact with CS. My guess from your description though is that it's performing as intended.

Reactions: redx
    They're tight to prevent moving when not wanted. Nowhere near as easy to turn as the focus wheel on binos, that's for sure. This doesn't sound like anything is wrong. It took me a while to get used to mine. Totally understandable that you'd be concerned on an optic that expensive though. If you're concerned still hit me up and I can put you in contact with CS. My guess from your description though is that it's performing as intended.

Ok perfect...thanks for the reply. This is my first spotter so I don't have experience with others for comparison. I just wanted to hear from other owners what they thought 👍.

Mine is super tight as well, maybe a focus ring thiny like those on the rifle scopes is in order......

It comes with a throw lever, doesn't it? Are you using that?

How's the glass? I've been looking at one, but I can't find anything to put hands on. I like the specs as far as zoom range, size, and reticle.

maybe something to do with being ipx7 with new seals. it is possible it will loosen up a little.

It comes with a throw lever, doesn't it? Are you using that?

How's the glass? I've been looking at one, but I can't find anything to put hands on. I like the specs as far as zoom range, size, and reticle.

Yeah the throw lever is on the magnification ring...both rings are about as stiff as the other.

Where in Eastern WA are you ?...close to I 90 by chance ? I'll be coming thru there Sunday on my way back from Wyoming...I have mine with me if you're close enough and want to check it out...it should be in the evening time sometime.

Oh that make sense. Forgot they had two rings. Lol.

I'm in tricities, so not real close unless you're taking the long way back to, I assume, the west side. I appreciate the offer though.

Reactions: Anointed1