• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this a really bad fire forming idea?

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I am thinking of chambering a rifle in 6.5x55AI. Lapua makes factory 139gr Scenar ammo. I was thinking of buying 250 rounds or so of it and firing it in the AI chamber to fire form it and end up with the fire formed brass afterwards.

How accurate/inaccurate do you think 6.5x55 ammo fired in an AI chamber will be? Will it be accurate enough that this would be a useful endeavor or should I just buy the brass and go through the fire forming process?

I am thinking of chambering a rifle in 6.5x55AI. Lapua makes factory 139gr Scenar ammo. I was thinking of buying 250 rounds or so of it and firing it in the AI chamber to fire form it and end up with the fire formed brass afterwards.

How accurate/inaccurate do you think 6.5x55 ammo fired in an AI chamber will be? Will it be accurate enough that this would be a useful endeavor or should I just buy the brass and go through the fire forming process?
Well first you just do not want to shoot it w/o pulling the bullet out some so you have a hard jam, to facilitate getting a good blow forward.
If you get a uniform, hard jam, the ammo may be the best you've ever shot, then again, it may be the worst. Luck of the draw, but make sure you just blow the front of the case forward, or you will have issues down the road.

Last edited:
The only AI cartridge that I have is a 22-250. The fire forming load is very accurate. Most of the ones that I know about are too.