• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Is this a world record?

SupressYourself

Hillbilly Intellectual
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2017
Eastern ND
20201105_134119.jpg

This is going to sound like a bit of a brag, but trust me, I've paid my dues and have had plenty of humbling experiences coyote hunting.
We shot 10 coyotes in one set (9 pictured, --1 was gut shot, did the spin dance, and then slunk off somewhere while we were dealing with his buddies).
Ok, so what actually happened is we set up and started calling and shot 8 from where we sat. Then we shot two more that popped out while we were gathering up the carcasses, but I'm going call it a 10-dog set. We found out later there was a recently deceased cow right over the next hill. We knew nothing about that at the time, just dumb luck. We couldn't believe how they just kept coming.
So I'm curious, what's the most coyotes you've killed in a single set? What were the conditions?

Last edited:
Those look like big AZ coyotes.

Details on the hardware
Mines on the left. It's a 6 Creed Craddock Bartlein on a DPMS AR10 receiver set with lots of upgrades, shooting 108 ELDMs.
20200817_124154.jpg

My brothers (right) is a 243 Win, Hart barrel on an Ascend Armory set, shooting... 95 Berger VLD, I believe.
20200816_105019.jpg

Both wear Dakota Silencer Varminter 4.0s, and custom Duracoat paint jobs by yours truly.

I haven’t, but a friend has shot five off of a set a couple different times. He uses decoy dogs and shoots furthest back/least aggressive to closest. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of someone seeing ten yotes on a set. Let alone killing ten.

Reactions: SupressYourself
That's unbelievable! Congrats.
I've never heard of anyone taking 10 dogs on one set and I've done the competition circuit for years.

I have hunted coyotes for over 40 years. My first thought was those must be the dumbest coyotes ever. Then reality hit home when I realized I just have coyote envy. All I can say is holy shit, way to go. FWIW, my brother and I once called in six that came on the dead run with no signs of slowing down. Between the two of us we got one. No shotgun, bolt action rifles.

While a few of them were pups, I think mostly it was just the perfect storm of dumb luck. They weren't all together, but were all in the same general area, so the most that came at the same time was three, and we got two of them. Otherwise, they came in one at a time, and with the high ridges and our suppressors, we were able to drop them without scaring off the rest. The only one that didn't come in nicely sat on the ridge at 310 yards thinking he'd just sit there watch from a safe location. Turns out he wasn't safe at all...

Ten in one setup is pretty outstanding in daytime . In a one call setup, I have only tripled twice over a many year period, and that is at nighttime .
I agree. It was almost like playing whack a mole with coyotes running all over when I tried to triple.

I've only been hunting for a year now, and just landed my first double last week. Called in 4 at night and had them coming in fast. Stopped them about 100 yards from the call (which was 160ish yards from me) and missed the first dog standing still 100% broadside. Nailed one as they scattered, then got another that I called back in on distress. It felt good to have a double, but I was pretty disappointed it wasn't three!

Tagging my bro @Coyote Kev , the second gunman on the grassy knoll. It's been about 2 weeks since I posted this now and no one has one-upped it. I think that confirms it as a world record ;)
I should have retired. I missed one Saturday morning.:mad:

Reactions: SDBguy95
View attachment 7491182
This is going to sound like a bit of a brag, but trust me, I've paid my dues and have had plenty of humbling experiences coyote hunting.
We shot 10 coyotes in one set (9 pictured, 1 was got shot, did the spin dance, and then slunk off somewhere while we were dealing with his buddies).
Ok, so what actually happened is we set up and started calling and shot 8 from where we sat. Then we shot two more that popped out while we were gathering up the carcasses, but I'm going call it a 10-dog set. We found out later there was a recently deceased cow right over the next hill. We knew nothing about that at the time, just dumb luck. We couldn't believe how they just kept coming.
So I'm curious, what's the most coyotes you've killed in a single set? What were the conditions?
Looks like a record to me. Most for me was three. We don’t have a ton of time in central OK before they get back in the timber.

Speaking of Coyotes, here's one in my backyard. No more than 20 ft from my house. These buggers are getting pretty brave. They used to stay along the tree line along the back of the property, but over the Winter, they've come much closer regularly.

03220357a.jpg