• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

is this considered vintage ATN 50bmg scope 12-36x80

rockwind1

Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
westworld
are these old enough to be considered vintage? bought it 20-30 or more years ago it seems.

did folks really use them on 50 bmg's?
IMG_8134.JPG
IMG_8133.JPG
IMG_8137.JPG

Don't know anything about that scope except what is posted below, but I suspect that ATN scope isn't quite that old. Maybe a dozen years old?
They seem to have been marketed with the civilian Armalite AR-50 rifles a decade or more ago. I'd have to dig-out my old Armalite catalog...

ATN aren't really highly-regarded for scopes or NVG... which was their big thing back a dozen years ago.

I'd tend to agree with Random that it is probably more like 10 - 15 years old. 30 years old would put it in the early 1990's and the .50 was a REAL oddity back then. Noone was making specialized scopes for them. I'd be willing to bet it's late 2000's or into 2010's. That was also sort of the Heyday of ATN. They sold a lot of stuff online and through Optics Planet and some of the 'discount' magazines/fliers. Outdoor Dealw or Surplus Stuff or similar. Can't remember the names. But you know the fliers we all got in the mail selling Stinger cases and former Swedish military pants (which rock, BTW.)

But... if you have a .50 or are wanting to go ELR on another rifle, give it a shot! 80mm Objective... those are going to be some tall rings! It's not going to be a NF or a USO... but it's yours so put it to work! And post a review!

Cheers!

Sirhr

Reactions: ZG47A
Last edited:
i bought it locally but so long ago i can't remember. i have no idea why i bought it. i was young and clueless. i have never used it,, didn't even know it was for a 50 bmg until i looked at it yesterday while cleaning. i was probably going to put it on my old 30-06. I am not kidding.

If you put it on your 30-06
It will become a 30-06-50BMG super Hybrid
You could shoot someones eye out
that is how clueless i was that many years ago. but now i want a super hybrid rifle. my wife will be super pleased to see another gun in the house.

ATN aren't really highly-regarded for scopes or NVG... which was their big thing back a dozen years ago.

I'd tend to agree with Random that it is probably more like 10 - 15 years old. 30 years old would put it in the early 1990's and the .50 was a REAL oddity back then. Noone was making specialized scopes for them. I'd be willing to bet it's late 2000's or into 2010's. That was also sort of the Heyday of ATN. They sold a lot of stuff online and through Optics Planet and some of the 'discount' magazines/fliers. Outdoor Dealw or Surplus Stuff or similar. Can't remember the names. But you know the fliers we all got in the mail selling Stinger cases and former Swedish military pants (which rock, BTW.)

But... if you have a .50 or are wanting to go ELR on another rifle, give it a shot! 80mm Objective... those are going to be some tall rings! It's not going to be a NF or a USO... but it's yours so put it to work! And post a review!

Cheers!

Sirhr
i simply cannot believe i bought it 15 years ago,,,,it had to be longer. i had first kid in 2001 and i am 94.62% sure it was before that. i swear it was early 90's. i was single and making money and bought stuff like that.

i bought it locally but so long ago i can't remember. i have no idea why i bought it. i was young and clueless. i have never used it,, didn't even know it was for a 50 bmg until i looked at it yesterday while cleaning. i was probably going to put it on my old 30-06. I am not kidding.

Go for it! Probably make a solid Varmint scope on anything. Load some light bullets for your .06 and it’ll be a Varmint laser! Be able to pick out which hair to shoot.

Cool scope whenever you bought it!

Sirhr

PS, did a bit of Google-fu and found ATN was formed in 1995. Earliest reference I can find to the BMG scope is someone posting that they wanted one for a Serbu Group Buy (!!??!!) in 2003. Honestly, I didn’t think Serbu was around in 2003!! Scope got decent reviews from here and there… mainly “ok for the price” but no one liked the dial-a-base. On your ‘06 it will brobably last several lifetimes!! Enjoy! It’s not “that” vintage, but we like old, oddball and different stuff here. Heck, TRG-22’s are now vintage. Feel old yet?

Last edited:
Go for it! Probably make a solid Varmint scope on anything. Load some light bullets for your .06 and it’ll be a Varmint laser! Be able to pick out which hair to shoot.

Cool scope whenever you bought it!

Sirhr

PS, did a bit of Google-fu and found ATN was formed in 1995. Earliest reference I can find to the BMG scope is someone posting that they wanted one for a Serbu Group Buy (!!??!!) in 2003. Honestly, I didn’t think Serbu was around in 2003!! Scope got decent reviews from here and there… mainly “ok for the price” but no one liked the dial-a-base. On your ‘06 it will brobably last several lifetimes!! Enjoy! It’s not “that” vintage, but we like old, oddball and different stuff here. Heck, TRG-22’s are now vintage. Feel old yet?
i think i will attempt to sell it, it is way to big for my needs. i was hoping it was some vintage thing. sigh. maybe i did get it in early 2000's. so hard to remember

I heard those were banned by Biden because you could do a mass shooting from really far away in next to no light. Too dangerous for the general public.