• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this Howa a good deal?

sblanch

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Iowa
Hello, new to the forum.
I am looking to get into long range target shooting and i found a heavy barreled Howa 1500 in .308, blued, factory synthetic stock, and a Springfied Armory Government Model 6x4 scope mounted on leupold rings and mounts. The rifle is about 6 years old and has had about 30 rounds through it. I think it can be bought for a little over $500. I thought I'd ask you guys if it sounded like a good deal or if I should keep looking.

Thanks

Re: Is this Howa a good deal?

Howa's shoot pretty good. Not as good as Savage 10's, 12's, but decent.

The SA scopes were contracted out (worst thing SA ever did) and some can be of really good quality, like my 6x40. Or, not so good quality, like 4.5-14 x 56. Not worth buying IMO (anymore) if it's a crapshoot as to what you'll get quality wise.

Edit:

What you're looking at is around $590-$690 new. depending on who sells it. Therefore if in decent condition $500 is a good deal. The scope is a bonus as for as long as it works.

The seller tells me that the scope has never been used and it comes in the original box. Is there much chance of selling the scope if i were to purchase?
I ask because in my searching I have pretty much settled on buying a Falcon Menace when I find a good starter rifle.

There is a fair chance of selling the scope. I'd put it out for $100 or so on flea bay, or here for that matter (but you won't see a bid go up) and see what you get. The gov't reticle is pretty good once you get used to it, like any reticle made for ranging. Glass on both of mine was clear. My 6x has stayed functional the 4.5-14 gave up the ghost on the AO.

Like I said though, if the scope stays funtional I'd use it until you could afford better glass. If it doesn't quit on you it probably won't for a while.

Instead of buying a Falcon?

Went to the optics forum and aked about the scope.

you can get a remington 700 that shoots and have a little bit more of a aftermarket friendly setup. try looking for a remington 700 sps- varmint, can be had for around 500 or a little more.

Everything I am finding in the Rem 700 is running closer to $700 and I've read good things about Howa so i figured it might be a good place to start with a bit smaller investment.

002.jpg

001.jpg

I'd let this Howa go for 1300.00 shipped. Just like you see it. Mcmillan A2, Farrel 20 moa base, TPS Rings, Bushnell 10X, and bipod included.

Thanks, but I'm trying to stay below the $1000 mark

Like<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5x5GUY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Instead of buying a Falcon?

Went to the optics forum and aked about the scope.</div></div>

I would plan on eventually buying better (more reliable) glass. Also, You are going to want much more than 6x for power, come shooting 1k time.

I was also thinking of buying a a Howa barreled action, adding a B&C stock. I can do this for around $600 and have $400 left for glass.
Any thoughts?

I sell a nice Howa package you can see on the Excorio web site that's linked in my sig.

The Howa rifles generally seem to have a tighter spec when they are cut the the factory than Remington or Savage and the Howa shoots very well. As far as aftermarket support you can get a McMillan, Manners or Bell & Carlson stock that I'm aware of, you can get a custom barrel, the factory trigger is easily adjusted and very nice or there are aftermarket triggers available. Scope mounts are widely available and CDI Precision and Roedale make bottom metal with an AI detachable mag for it. So aftermarket support isn't as wide as Remington but it's not as shallow as some think either.

To your original question. The scope may be OK it may be a throw away and I don't think you should let that scope affect your buying decision in this case. The rifles are available brand new with a Hogue overmolded stock for $500 with a heavy barrel. You can check out some of the packages we offer if you'd like and feel free to shoot me any questions even if you do buy this rifle or one from someone else.