• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Is this... mildew in my upper receiver?

gxer

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2021
CA
Came back from a visit to the range where I put 200 rounds of Blazer 124gr FMJ through my 16" CMMG RDB AR9. I know how dirty the rifle can get due to the blowback nature so I usually clean it right after the range time, today I get a surprise as I removed the bolt:
6WzohtD.jpg

Id3Gg4c.jpg

No doubt there's a lot of carbon fouling in there but on top of that, is that mildew I'm seeing? How can it form within a couple of hours after the range? I'm in CA where the air is dry, sun is bright, and there was no rain either. I'm sure those where not there at the range since the mildew looking substance is on top of the carbon fouling. Anyone have seen this before?

What brand lubricant are you using?

Ya idk what it is but I agree that its not mildew. Clean it off and carry on.

Looks like lint. What kind of bag/case do you transport it in

I get a similar bluish residue from moisture in mine. Mainly when using a can

It's just oxidized residue from burnt propellant (bismuth, carbon, lead, tin, etc. - some will begin to crystalize). You see it a lot on muzzle devices with a lot of rounds through it without cleaning and the residue is left to oxidize. On muzzle devices they'll usually also have teal colored/green tint because of copper.

your gun has mold lol wake up one day and that mold will sprout fruit .