• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is this my eyes or is something out of whack with glass?

usmc02xx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
Locust Grove GA, USA
I have a scope that I've been using for about 6 months. Its a vortex HS 6-24x50 fine duplex. Didn't notice any issues last fall or most of winter at all. Been really happy with it. Just recently, as in last month or so, i seem to be having a problem keeping the target in focus. Reticle is clear and set, but im playing with parallax non stop to keep a clear image. I play with the parallax a little and it seems to come back in for a few shots then it goes out again. When I'm using it on 12-18x or so i don't notice it, but then again i dont see as much detail using that much less power, so I'm not sure i don't have the same issue there. I tried duplicating it on some other scopes i own and they seem solid, but they are all lower powered. I'm fairly easy to convince that I'm just old and shit happens, but i get that weird feeling like maybe im missing something important. Any glass geniuses out there experience this before and know whats up? Or anyone have a test i can run that would confirm it being me vs the mechanical? It is currently mounted to my favorite rifle and i don't want to take it out of commission by sending it back, only to be told your eyes are bad old man lol.

Just to pre-empt the flyers.. Its not mirage induced, its not loose anything, and i know i should have bought a nightforce :). carry on.

Last edited:
I don't know much about that scope, but judging by your sig, you're about my age, and at our age things go weird with the eyes. I just got back from the eye doc today and my prescription had changed dramatically after staying pretty constant most of my life. I wouldn't rule out a trip to the eye doc if nobody can find something wrong with your scope.

Send it in to Vortex to get it checked out, their warranty is one of the best.

get your eyes checked. I've started to go long-sighted and staring through the optic was getting harder. My resolution was to get a Hensoldt but YMMV...

I have the same problem and I would try and change the parallax just like your saying. I soon discovered it was just heat off the barrel (only on higher magnification).