• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this normal? Berger 6.5mm 130 VLD

FlashGordon

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2011
TX, U.S.A.
JBM lists the length of the Berger 6.5mm 130gr VLD as 1.4". I just cracked open a new box of 100 and they are measuring on average 1.323" in length. What gives? Anyone else out there find this to be true for their lot of these bullets?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412811141.360422.jpg

Since no one else has chimed in, I have noticed a huge variation in Berger bullets within the last year; both in weight and length. I have since switched to the A-Max.

Since no one else has chimed in, I have noticed a huge variation in Berger bullets within the last year; both in weight and length. I have since switched to the A-Max.

Try looking up the problems with the 140 amax of late... Multiple lots falling out of spec and needing to be replaced. Seems all of the companies have problems from time to time

My 180 Hybrids have been quite a bit longer than what they are listed at, but the weight has been consistent.

The current Berger spec sheet is different from the previous ones. On the new spec sheet the hunting and target bullets have different dimensions. On the old spec sheets they were the same but are different from either bullet on the new sheet.

According to the new sheet the OAL and the bearing surface length is a lot shorter than it used to be.

I asked Eric Stecker about it and here is his reply...."This bullet has been difficult to make due to the height of the lead column. When we made the jacket shorter we are able to get more consistent results. This change has no affect on ballistic or terminal performance. It may affect rifle tune but the affects should be minimal given that the only dimenesional difference is a shorter bearing surface."

Last edited:
All the info I have found, lists the 180 Hybrids at 1.529"
I did a blind sample of about 40 out of 200 and have an average of 1.539"

1.543 on the high side and 1.537 on the low end with the bulk being right at 1.539 +/- .001

I don't know if that is within spec or not, but it hasn't caused any serious issues considering my medium skill set.

Ive seen little issues for years like that with most bullets... thats what lead me to sorting bullets regardless of manufacturer... i still shoot moatly bergera... but i sort them. They are usually .1+- in weight and length varies a tad too... i trim them sometimes with a meplat trimmer. Pita... i havent done testing across the board but Amax bullets seem to be very uniform lot to lot for me lately...

Bulleta that domt make the cut i pair qith brass that dont make the cut and use thwm as fowler rounds after cleaning...

I had a pretty extreme change from one lot of 140 VLD's to the next. Boat-tails were visibly different lengths/angles to the naked eye. My accuracy load with one was not accurate at all with the other.

That said, I've noticed the same thing to a lesser extent with 140 Amax's. I'm hoping they shoot the same but I'm thinking I'll have to do some load dev. It's really amazing to me that they can make them as consistent within a lot as they do, to be honest.